Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Fallen of the wagon

I'm a year post-op and feel like I can eat anything in moderation.. but I still find my self getting a kids meal and a pie to take home I know it's bad and I keep telling my self no but I always end up in the drive-t I need help... And I know it I'm at goal wait 160 and I'm supper scared that I'm going to gain it back :( I started at 241lb and I've come a long way to be sucker back in....

'I always end up in the drive-through'

Simples.

JUST DONT DRIVE THERE!!!!

I suggest going over your diet and adding more nutritious food. Adding is easier than subtraction. If you get enough really good nutrition it lessons the cravings for crappola. Also, up your Water intake.

Get up run as fast as you can and catch up to that wagon. Jump and and continue your journey. Get back to basics and call it a day.....You can do this and stay away from drive throughs...That food is just nasty! :)

I'm with gman, if you stay on top of eating what you should, maybe you you'll have less room for junk. I've also read it takes 3 weeks to create a new habit. Maybe make yourself avoid going by the drive thru for 3 weeks and see if that helps?

Log your food intake, hold yourself accountable, be strong and keep in mind why you started this journey....

many people fall off the wagon we are all human, he best thing is you can start again with healthy choices.

I know what you mean about going back to old habits. Old habits and cravings can be a real b*tch! When I can't resist a food, I can limit how much I eat. For example, yesterday we had a baby shower at work and I wanted a piece of cake soooo bad. Instead of going without or giving in completely, I got a 6oz styrofoam cup and filled it 1/2 full with cake, ate it and then filled myself up on Protein. That way I did get to taste the the cake, but I didn't go too far off my diet.

You might try another method I use. My mom always tries to send food home with me and rather than disappoint her by refusing, I take it, then throw it away. And by throw it away, I mean open the container and dump it in the ditch. I'm too tempted to take it back out of the trash can if I leave the food in the container. I know, TMI. :-P You might try getting back on track by throwing 1/2 the happy meal away.

Good luck,

post-147109-0-72969100-1395238475_thumb.jpg

First make sure your getting your Protein and Water in. I have found if I do not get enough protein I crave bad food, also sometimes thirst disguises itself for hunger. If this is all in check then begin to think about your emotions. What is going on,how are you feeling before your drive thru? If you can pin point the emotions that cause you to want to comfort yourself with food you can then put a strategy to beat the emotional eating by finding another way to handle that particular emotion.

fear: go to the gym and feel strong

loneliness : call or meet up with a friend

sadness: cry and let it out

boredom: start a hobby

etc.

Well I'm only 7 days out so I don't really know anything yet!, but I know I'll use the drive through at times later. I think it's the choices you make that will help or hinder. So far in my stage I have found Arby's aus jus Soup, which on day 5 made me feel alive again and only cost 32 cents! I'm dreaming about pintos and cheese, and KFC mashed potatoes. Also I think it helps that I have no problem throwing out food I just bought!. I know it's stupid but sometimes one bite gets you past the head hunger, and then you realize it's not that good anyway, at least that's what I did before surgery. That said I think my biggest dreams are all the fun recipes I've heard about here that I can try. The first one I'm going to try is the ricotta bake! Now, back to my chemically tasting Water ????

It isn't a diet, it's a way of life................

Amen!

I think we all have days when we want to shove the food in with both hands. For me, that impulse is SO strong, that I have to give in so I can move on from it. It's mostly about "hand to mouth" time, so I make a bowl of popcorn, sit down & have at it. If that didn't do it, I'll have one of my favorite Protein bars. Usually, though, after a bowl of popcorn, halfway through the Protein Bar I'm already feeling maxed out. So, I give into the intense need to eat, but I choose differently. Prior to surgery it would have been a trip to the market, and back home with a package of Cookies, or ½ gallon of ice cream.

I don't believe any of us are ever really cured from this affliction. To have long term success, I believe we need to stop thinking of our new way of eating as some sort of diet; one day we're on, and the next we're off. Every day isn't a popcorn/protein bar day, but when I'm jumping out of my skin with the intense need to eat, I simply....do. I just stay away from things that will cause weight gain, or send me down a road I really don't want to go.

Edited by mrsto

Stop going through drive through's. You can only get there if you drive there. if you cant control going there then find a different way to drive back and forth where ever you are going. Being at goal should mean more then filling your body with the very poison that kept us in jail for all these years.

If time in your car is a weak time/place, then rethink your car. Stash good, healthy alternatives in the cupholder, arm-rest, back seat, under the visor. Then tape a picture of yourself at your heaviest to the steering wheel, along with a one sentence description of your reason for having WLS.

Fight back! Plan ahead!

I find that I can eat whatever I want if I take the time & chewing effort to do it. You're working around your band. Limit the amount of time you let yourself eat. others have told me to watch for signals that ur full...burping, sighs, food not as appealing....things my nutritionist didn't tell me since I can't tell by feeling that I'm full.

I also talk myself out of my healthy choices that I had already pre-planned. I'm in the process of getting back on the wagon myself! I've filled my snack cubby at home with filling, high Protein Snacks & I take only what I know I can tolerate in a planned, focused sitting. exp: 1 two ounce bag of nuts will give me two carefully eaten Snacks during my workday...no liquid in that snack. Timing seems to be a really big part also. I can't do solids in the am until about 11, so I'm doing my Protein shake or smoothie about 8:30 & I'm not hungry again till about 11. Depending on my work schedule, I might eat lunch then if I can. If not, I'm hitting the Protein snack, then lunch will happen around 1:30, another snack about 3:30, & dinner at 6:30. If I miss my protein, I'm wanting to chow down on whatever cookie, donut, candy bar or burger that might be close by.

It really boils down to finding where your cravings attack & making a habit of choosing the foods that will squash those cravings. Then fighting temptations will be a little easier. Am I tempted to go through the drive through...of course! Do I? Well, not today. Take the temptations one day at a time, but plan ahead to beat those temptations to the ground!