Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you measure your food?

I usually measure my food in ounces vs tablespoons/cups, etc? I'm concerned that this is wrong and has caused me to eat too much. I'm one week from 4 months out and am eating 4-5 ounces per meal and around 800 calories per day. I'm not really concerned about my calories, though but the sizes of my portions? What do you guys think? (BTW, I didn't get a lot of help from my NUT on this(

I weigh meat & measure soft foods (yogurt, peanut butter) in spoons/cups

I pretty much use one of two things. For Soups, chili, puddings and and soft or mushy stuff, I use a 1/2 cup measuring scoop. For regular food I weigh out 3 ounces on the scale. And for liquids, I just drink all day long as much as I can stand.

Oh, I forgot the important part. I keep track of everything on MFP. (It adds up quick)

Edited by Recycled

Would you say that you weigh all solids (meat, veggies, cheese, etc). And measure semi solids and edible liquids? And how much do you eat at one meal?

I use both methods - cups/spoons and ounces. Depends on what I'm having. I think it sounds like you are right on track.

I use both methods - cups/spoons and ounces. Depends on what I'm having. I think it sounds like you are right on track.

I hope so, my hunger has increased lately and I have had a couple of bad days and I've gotten a little paranoid about stretching my sleeve. Especially since I'm not even 4 months out with 75-80 more pounds to lose.

Would you say that you weigh all solids (meat, veggies, cheese,etc). And measure semi solids and edible liquids? And how much do you eat at one meal?

I eat 2-3 oz of solid food at a meal. I weigh out my meat (example: chicken) and don't usually weight or measure my veggies bc I can usually only eat about a couple tsp-tbsp of veggies.

If it's a semi-solid or thicker liquid, I eat about 3-4 Fluid ounces (like chili, Soup, yogurt)

Would you say that you weigh all solids (meat, veggies, cheese,etc). And measure semi solids and edible liquids? And how much do you eat at one meal?
I eat 2-3 oz of solid food at a meal. I weigh out my meat (example: chicken) and don't usually weight or measure my veggies bc I can usually only eat about a couple tsp-tbsp of veggies.

If it's a semi-solid or thicker liquid, I eat about 3-4 Fluid ounces (like chili, Soup, yogurt)

Thanks for that. I made chili tonight and weighed the entire batch ( and then divided it by 12, which was just over 4 ounces) so I could figure out the calories per serving in MFP. I just want to make sure, I'm doing okay. One more question. How many time per day do you eat? My Nut wants me to eat just 3 times per day with no Snacks, but I like to have at least one snack per day, usually a Quest bar to help my sweet tooth at night or some almonds or a cheese stick to bump up my Protein a little. I really don't understand the problem with a healthy snack as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals. For example, today I had 3 full meals, plus a Quest bar and a cheese stick and my total calories for the day are 741 and 73g Protein and with exercise my net is less than 300.

Lyn, at 4 months I started feeling like I could eat more, too, so that's when I added in veggies and occasional fruit. Really helped.

For measurements, I use ounces, cups, measuring spoons, all sorts of things. I try to match the measure to nutritional data on MFP or the label. For Protein like meats or cheese, it's usually scale ounces. For soft products (cottage cheese, yogurt, broth) I use liquid ounces.

On the topic of Snacks, my nut also said no Snacks. However, I told her I needed them to get in enough Protein. She was worried that I was grazing all day long, which I was not. She finally relented after I kept pushing her. I still do a morning and afternoon snack and try to keep it to 100 calories per snack. Maybe you can explain to your nut why you need a snack.

I have found a great snack. They are called P3, buy Oscar Meyer, and they are meat, cheese and nuts. About 150 calories, but 14-16 grams of Protein. I get them at Walmart by the lunchables for $1 each. I always have them on hand in the fridge, so if I get hungry or my family chooses to eat something that I either don't like, or isn't good for my sleeve, I can have that. I like them for lunch, or I split them into 2 Snacks in the same day.

At the 4ish month mark I was able to start really eating, and when I say really eating, I mean 3-4 oz at a time, three times a day. Tonight for example, I had a piece of corned beef, about 3/4 the size of a deck of cards, 1/2 of a red potato and 3 or 4 cabbage leafs. I was satisfied, but not stuffed. I skipped the Irish Soda bread, and the Guiness cupcakes that were for dessert. Instead about 2 hours after dinner I had the other half of my greek yogurt from Breakfast that I had stuck in the freezer, so it was like ice cream. And last night for "dessert" I had 1/2 of a banana that I had stuck in the freezer tossed into the yonana machine, and made into soft serve. I don't feel deprived that way, and I'm eating things that are good for me. :)

Thanks for that. I made chili tonight and weighed the entire batch ( and then divided it by 12, which was just over 4 ounces) so I could figure out the calories per serving in MFP. I just want to make sure, I'm doing okay. One more question. How many time per day do you eat? My Nut wants me to eat just 3 times per day with no Snacks, but I like to have at least one snack per day, usually a Quest bar to help my sweet tooth at night or some almonds or a cheese stick to bump up my Protein a little. I really don't understand the problem with a healthy snack as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals. For example, today I had 3 full meals, plus a Quest bar and a cheese stick and my total calories for the day are 741 and 73g Protein and with exercise my net is less than 300.

At first I was told no Snacks as well. But when I started running, I quickly learned (after a couple episodes of hypoglycemia) that I needed to eat a little more. My doc actually suggested I eat more after looking at my food journal, lab work, and hearing about my exercise. On days I run, I take in a little more carbs, while on days I do weights or other workouts I take in less carbs and more protein. I typically eat 5-6 times per day now (keeping in mind I workout between 1-3 hours per day) my meals are about 3 oz while my snacks are about 2 oz.

Here's a typical day's food for me. I've been eating pretty much this amount everyday since my 1 year surgerversary. :-)