Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cravings/over-eating pre/post-op

I am in the beginning stages of researching the procedure. I will be attending a doctor led seminar soon.

I currently have no impulse control when it comes to food. I eat what I crave, and when I eat, I eat past feeling full. :hungry: I worry that this will continue after I have the surgery.

Did anyone else struggle with these same things prior to surgery? Have you been successful after?:clap2:

Also, What do you wish you would have known or done prior to surgery?

Thanks,

Alysa

Hi Alysa,

I'm only 6 days banded so can't tell you too much there. I would say that I was very similar to you pre-band though, & by gritting my teeth & sticking to the Optifast & some veg through the first killer 3 days, ketosis kicked in & the hunger disappeared. Keys for me were stay away from the family when they were having dinner & go to bed really early!;)

Hope this helps a little,

Cate

The band helps us not to eat past feeling full without painful reminders. It also curbs the appetite to the point of that not being a real issue. Like Jack said, it frees your mind from the eating aspect, and lets you concentrate on other things.

Pre surgery I ate lots of savory comfort style foods---salty crispy Snacks. Sweets were ok, but they weren't MY issue. Now I still eat all of those things, but in much smaller, more realistic portions. I have lost almost 90 pounds in just under a year---I feel it is wildly successful. I did it without feeling deprived. Without starving! Without counting every bite that went into my mouth for points or calories or anything!

The only thing I really wish for, is that I hadn't waited so long---I love having my life back---I wish I had done it years ago!

Enjoy your seminar, mine was eye opening!!!

Welcome to LBT---feel free to ask all the questions running through your mind, it is the best way to get the answers!!! We look forward to getting to know you!

Kat

I have the same feeling and concerns that "eyespy" has. Thanks so much for this LBT. It has really helped me. I have done the physc exam and the medical tests and have to go Thursday for an stress test because they found my heart is enlarged. It is a stress test done with dye. ouch! Then have to see my PCP on the 16th. I guess I'm getting a little nervous since it seems to be getting closer. Last night I read on the LBT a person that said the lapband was just a scam. That kind of upset me, especially since most of the comments are good. I just wish it were all over. I'm also worried about the 2 week liquid diet before. That's a long time. Guess I'll be going to bed early. My husband said he would do it with me since he could stand to lose a few pounds. At least I wouldn't have to cook or watch him eat. Sorry to be rambling on, but just getting anxious. Thanks again to all of you! Your great!!

Many times health issues that we worry will cause the operation to be cancelled turn out to be something that weight loss will benefit, so they don't stop it at all. I hope this is the case for you.

I don't in any way believe the band to be a scam. If it is, I was scammed out of 90 pounds....! My Dad used to have a saying that comes to mind...it was "some people would complain about being hung with a new rope". He always said this when one of us was complaining about things that we could change if we wanted to bad enough! Was usually just a moan and groan time, and he would say that!

Anytime you feel like you need moral supporty, or someone to answer a question honestly---look me up. I won't lie to you and tell you the liquid diet is easy---it won't be, but it will get easier as the time goes on, and it will make the post op diet much simpler. You will get all the cravings out of your system, and it will get easier. It is good your DH is going to diet with you. Even if he doesn't make it, he will know how hard it is for you!!! That is awesome!

Hang in there---log on and chat with us when the nerves go crazy!!!

Kat

I am almost a week post-band and I have no cravings. I am not sure if I have even really felt hunger. Sometimes I go to stick something in my mouth on impulse and then remember, "Oh yeah, that won't go down." lol

I'm 15 days post band now, and I have to say that I ate exactly like you do, right up to the day before my op (my doc didn't ask, for a pre op diet and I had a lovely 'skinny' liver when he got inside!)

In all honesty I've not done it or wanted to do it since the day of the op! My post op eating plan is a lot more flexible than most on here too, with 1 week liquid 1 week sloppies then work up to solids. So I'm eating 3 small meals a day, and 1 or two snacks! I've eaten a couple of things at my old craving pace and have paid dearly with the dreaded golf ball pain!!! Soon put paid to that idea!

I am concerned about the post op diet. I was banded on 3/16/07. I did not follow the post op diet to the letter. I advanced my diet too soon and I am wondering about the effects. I do still get full fast and once in a while I have some pain when I eat too much. I have gained back 2lbs and I wonder if it is time for a fill? I am craving some of the foods that have been a life long problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dear Eyespy:

I am at the same stage as you are, and I have an appointment on the 20th of April with a Dr. Geiss here on L.I. Have you seen a doc yet? I have the same fears as you do. My biggest fear really, is that I will have huge withdrawal symptoms from food! That I have used food recreationally for so many years; as in snaking that I wonder if I will go through some pretty tough times during this period of life long abstinence. :-}

re: "I worry that this will continue after I have the surgery"

We all have something to worry about, and focus on the 'what if' scenario. Most of those things never happen.

You will be surprised on the totally new sensations postOp that will take your mind away from food, eating, cravings and any notions involving such matters. Phases of recovery will occupy your attention. Getting rid of your old wardrobe and finding clothing at a 'Normo' store will take more of your day that craving, because most Bandsters have little appetite for days to weeks to months.

Good luck in your journey.

Jack: I agree w/you 1 million%! I am proud to say that I didn't eat like it was my last meal over Easter yesterday. I made it a point NOT to shovel everything in, but small bites, and chew chew chew! I also know first had what it's like to PB & vomit, so that discouraged me also, maybe a good thing in disguise. I go for first fill tomorrow, hopefully restriction will make the hunger pangs fade. :decision:

I have to say yesterday's meal went well enough. I certainly ate things I've kept away from, a bite or two of simple carbs, but I at less than half the quantity of food that I normally would have.

And I am yet to be restricted.

I was banded 3-8-07.

Juli in OH

Sooverit,

I have not met with a surgeon yet. They do seminars once/month here, and I will be out of town for the one in April. I have to wait until may. I cannot see the dr. until that happens first. I am not a patient person, so it's a little frustrating to have to wait.

With insurance restrictions, I may have to wait anyway until undergoing six months of an official dr. supervised diet. It's not like I haven't dieted for six months in row already, but who knows what the insurance will decide counts. My GP documented all of the things we have tried last year when I went for my yearly check-up. I asked about the surgery then, but didn't really start thinking about it seriously until recently. I finally realized that if I COULD do something about my weight, I would have done so by now.

I am not as worried about withdrawels as I am going through the liqiud phase of the diet, especially before the band if needed!

Good luck with your appointment. Can't wait to have mine.

Sounds like you were on a doctor supervised diet? I think it may mean more money for everyone if it's a structured program. I'm starting one next month!