Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hello Maysters! I am a soon to be banded June 7th! I enjoy reading all your posts. You are a busy group! I am impressed and excited, only 3 days to go until I join you.

Regarding the gas, two questions, where do you put the heating pad and the gas strips? I have not bought the strips yet, so maybe the package says that.

Your food experiences, exercise and wieght loss is helpful. I agree with one said about solid foods, vs liquids. liquids probably go down faster therefore making you hungry often. The solids should help with that. I am on a liquid diet for a week, but taht includes Soups and puddings. I just want to lose weight, so I am hopign I don't get to cranky!

Keep up the great work!

Hey everyone I just wanted to stop in and give an update on my recovery. I am almost 4 weeks post op - down 28 lbs since 5/9/07. After the first 10 days my only "pain" was the port site because my doc put it right under my boob. Now it is as if all my pain and discomfort was just a dream. I feel wonderful! My doc put in the smaller band (4cc) so i have felt restriction since the beginning and am only now sensing that i am able to eat more than maybe 2 weeks ago, but I am taking it slow and making great choices. I don't even crave the junk i used to eat. THANK YOU LAPBAND!!!

Hey all, thanks for your thoughts on getting hungrier. And for whoever said this is bandster hell, I really needed to hear that! It's hard right now..

My question now is (because I always seem to have a question!): Does anyone else have a VG band? How are you feeling? I'm asking because I've noticed that I can eat a lot more food than you all and I'm wondering if it's just because I got a larger band and can't feel any restriction now? I still stick to 800 or so calories daily, but I can eat more than 1 cup at a sitting. Also, I can take big drinks of Water again and I don't have to do tiny bites. Just wondering who else feels this way.. Am I correct in thinking that this is only because I don't have a fill yet?

Also, wanted to give an update. As of tomorrow I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and I really feel great. I've left my plateau behind and starting losing again, so I'm very excited. Also, I've been walking 3 miles a day and I went hiking on Saturday. It's all much easier with 40+ fewer pounds! Unfortunately I bought a bike and fell off of it yesterday..:faint:

So now I'm nursing knee injury and trying to figure out other ways of burning calories in the meantime..

MaryumC

weight.png

Hi everyone. Today I am three weeks post-op. So far I have lost 21 lbs and I feel pretty good. I went back to work on Thursday and worked three 12 hour days in a row. I am still a little tired as yesterday was my first day off (and I work nights) but I handled it better than I thought I would. I am doing some yard work today and b/c it is a little hot and muggy from all the rain lately (I'm in the Fort Worth, TX area), I am taking a break.

Quick question...what Vitamins are y'all taking? I am taking some from GNC but I have to take 4 a day and I am either too full to get them in, or I forget to take them all. I usually only get 2-3 in during the day. If you are taking some that you like, please let me know...

Well...off to figure out how to update this stinkin' ticker thing again. Hope everyone is feeling okay and getting back to normal!!

I have liquid pre-natal vitamins from the Vitamin shop. The only difference is 800mg. of folic acid and they have everything except Calcium. I blend them with a yogurt shake and it tastes fine. They are only $15 for a 30 day supply and they are organic.

Hello Maysters! I am a soon to be banded June 7th! I enjoy reading all your posts. You are a busy group! I am impressed and excited, only 3 days to go until I join you.

Regarding the gas, two questions, where do you put the heating pad and the gas strips? I have not bought the strips yet, so maybe the package says that.

Your food experiences, exercise and wieght loss is helpful. I agree with one said about solid foods, vs liquids. liquids probably go down faster therefore making you hungry often. The solids should help with that. I am on a liquid diet for a week, but taht includes Soups and puddings. I just want to lose weight, so I am hopign I don't get to cranky!

Keep up the great work!

Janine,

Nice of you to stop by! Congratulations and good luck! The time will go by quickly.

As for your questions: The gax-x strips dissolve on your tongue. Just pop 'em in your mouth. They don't taste bad-- kind of like a breath strip.

As for the heating pad, just put it wherever you are having pain. If you are having gas pain in your back and shoulders, just put the pad there. For me, I was lucky enough to only experience gas pain in my abdomen. So, for me, sitting in the recliner with it on my belly helped.

See you on the banded side!

Hey MaryumC, as far as I understand the VG is the largest band and thus gives the least restriction without a fill. bummer! I think that it will make it that much harder until the fill stage. I have the 10cc and feel very simalar about being able to eat more than 1 cup at this point, and also I am able to drink lots of Fluid at one time. I was accuallly missing being able to drink lots, living in az it is dang hot and I was feeling dehidrated all the time, so I am happy about being able to drink more. It sounds like your calories are right were they need to be so great job!!!! keep up the great work!

Keep up the great work!

Hi- good luck on your upcoming surgery! I used the heating pad most for my shoulder and occasionally for my back - I wasn't used to sleeping flat on my back and almost everything else was uncomfortable for me after surgery. Many people have posted they sleep on their side(s) and will put the heating pad on their tummy as they roll.

Re the gas strips- they are Gas-X (simethicone) and you take them by mouth. I actually like the chewable ones better (peppermint creme!) they have a higher dose of simethicone and I found them more effective.

2 weeks out from surgery and doing well- back to work full time and walking 4-5 days /week. I'm convinced that the only way to keep the weight loss going is to exercise pretty consistently.

Getting hungry- first fill is on june 20th thank god and fighting to stay off the scale.

hope to see some spivak'ers at the support group tomorrow night!

Thanks so much for the information on the Vitamins everyone takes...it really helps!! I think I'll get some different kind. Mine were great pre-surgery but now I can't get them all in.

I live in Mansfield, TX. We are neighbors! I take the costco brand childrens chewables (one a day). They are not bad. Then I take two viactive chews (one two times daily). Yummy!

Hi Jessica...I acutally work in Mansfield...small world!!! :)

MaryumC: I also have a Vg band but Im only 5 days out. I have started to get a little hungry, but since I'll be on full liquids for 3 weeks I havent been able to judge how much I eat as far as if Im still hungry or not after 1 cup. My Dr told me that he gave me the bigger band because I did have a large fat pad around my stomach and that he didnt want me to be too tight from the beginning. I thought this was a good ideal and it gives me away to go to get the restriction. I was worried that I could have my band completly filled and not have good restriction. So this way I think I may have a lot more chances at it. <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_485922", true); </SCRIPT>

Hey all, thanks for your thoughts on getting hungrier. And for whoever said this is bandster hell, I really needed to hear that! It's hard right now..

My question now is (because I always seem to have a question!): Does anyone else have a VG band? How are you feeling? I'm asking because I've noticed that I can eat a lot more food than you all and I'm wondering if it's just because I got a larger band and can't feel any restriction now? I still stick to 800 or so calories daily, but I can eat more than 1 cup at a sitting. Also, I can take big drinks of Water again and I don't have to do tiny bites. Just wondering who else feels this way.. Am I correct in thinking that this is only because I don't have a fill yet?

I don't have the vg band but my doc said I have the large band and I'm experiencing the same thing as you. I can eat more than a cup at a sitting and I'm taking big drinks of Water too.

Also, wanted to give an update. As of tomorrow I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and I really feel great. I've left my plateau behind and starting losing again, so I'm very excited. Also, I've been walking 3 miles a day and I went hiking on Saturday. It's all much easier with 40+ fewer pounds! Unfortunately I bought a bike and fell off of it yesterday..:faint:

So now I'm nursing knee injury and trying to figure out other ways of burning calories in the meantime..

Do you have a stationary bike you can use, or would that hurt the knee the same as walking?

MaryumC

weight.png

BTW, I take Centrum chewable, which are fine, but I keep forgetting to take them! I'll have to put the bottle in my purse and take them to work. Maybe then I'll remember, because the bottle sitting on the kitchen table isn't doing it!

Thanks for all your help. I know some of it is self explanatory but you get information overlaod and your brain freezes...lol.

You guys are a -May-zing!!! You are all doing great. I agree with some regarding the slow down, exercise and making sure you eat enough. If you have been on any diet in the past, which most of us have, these are the same goals. I can only invision losing what you all have accomplished.

My son is getting married on July 7, 30 days after bandland. So, I am not to upset about being able to eat or drink. I won't have my 1st fill until mid July. So, for me it works out. I will be able to engage in some wine and a few food items. More than I will this weekend after banding.

Have a good day. Your pages are multiplying by the minute:)

Hi

I was also banded with the smaller band. Good luck to you. I was banded May 28...still poofey with big stomach. Each day gets better. Good luck to you all.

I have the VG band and I am post surgery 4 weeks yesterday. I have noticed that I can eat a little more but I am still not getting anymore than 1000 calories a day. I just continue to take my tiny bites and chew, chew, chew. My doctor did tell me that it might take more fills for me but to keep him up to date as to my hunger level, etc. His stafff told me the main thing is I need to be loosing 8 lbs a month. If I am not, time for a fill!

So... 2 years ago when I lost a good amount of weight I treated myself to a pair of Seven jeans... I LOVED them! Sadly I grew out of them and they've been sitting in my closet since...

Well, just for sh*ts and giggles I got them out and .... THEY FIT!!!! I have muffin top.. BUT THEY FIT!!!! I didn't even have to lay down on the bed to zip them!!!! I squealed in excitement and danced around the room like a teenager!!

Hi May Bandsters,

You guys are all amazing. I love reading this thread. It has really a lot of people in it. I was banded last Nov. If any of you are Southern California locals I have coodinated a meet up this Sunday. We are meeting at Anaheim, Downtown Disney at the Rain Forest cafe this Sunday June 10th at noon. If anyone would like to come please send me a message as I am trying to get a big enough table for all of us. It will be nice to meet other bandsters face to face and hopefully we can set up a group to meet up every once in awhile to exchange stories and advice. If you are interested email me at vikki4mymail@yahoo.com

I hope to meet some of you.:hippie::cheer2::banana