Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hi everyone...just wanted to stop by and post a quick update. I got to start mushies today. I had a scrambled egg (about 5 bites) for Breakfast this morning and 1/3 cup of tuna fish for lunch today. Let me tell you, that was the best scrambled egg and the best tuna I think I have ever had. I have a whole new appreciation for food. Sitting and chewing each bite 30 times really made me realize how I didn't really take the time to "taste" and enjoy my food before. I will be on mushies for the next four weeks, then I can move on to solid foods.

So...to those on liquids, there is light at the end of the tunnel. If I can make it, you can too! :)

Kacee,

Dr. Spivak gave me a booklet at the hospital that said nothing but Clear Liquids for the first to second week. Can I eat something mushy??? I was under the impression not to according to that booklet and pamplet I got??

Sandra

Dr. Spivak

Houston

Banded 5/22/07

Hi Sandra- I had surgery with Dr Spivak a week ago- and I know what you are talking about- they give multiple handouts that actually contradict each other. Dr Spivak's personal materials say to go to mushies after 48 hours and eat only 3 meals a day where the others have different schedules for both liquids/mushies and meals. If you are feeling well enough for some mushies, the info he gives out from his office (the white typed sheet) says its ok.

glad to read people are doing so well! Up until around Friday (post op day 4) I was wondering what on earth I'd gotten myself into! I had horrible shoulder pain and gas. The shoulder pain would worsen with walking and only got better when I'd lie down but the gas would then worsen :lol Oh well. Both have significantly improved

Congrats to everyone who is doing so well -and if you are lurking and having problems- you aren't alone!

Marjorie,

Thanks for your info....sometimes reading all this make for a huge confusion! LOL!! I was actually hungry today and started to feel desperate....well I had tuna with a egg boiled in it and a little mayo for mushiness! Took about 5 bites and realized I was full.....werid feeling seeing all my food still in the bowl.....I had to push it away and put it away because it tasted so good I could of just finished it for fun. Hope you are doing well.....I was banded by Spivak on 5/22. I feel great, well a little sore but ok. Hope to see you at his support group tomorrow.

Sandra

Dr. Hadar Spivak

Houston, Texas

Banded 5/22/2007

Highest weight 255

Surgery weight 242

current weight 231

Hey guys, I have been having a problem with so many shakes also. This morning however I made my shake with 2 scoops of whey protein....40 grams!

It was a little thick and took me all morning to get it down but it is a start! I am trying to get all my Water in but I know I will not make it!

Good Luck......

MetalBand did you know that your body only absorbs 20-25 grams of protien at one time You have to split that Protein up into 2 servings

Okay, I have been hugely lucky in that I have had very very little pain post surgery....either from incision or gas (much). However, every day about the same time (about 9:00 pm) I get a headache on the left side. Can you have gas in your neck? It also seems to involve my trapenzius muscle and the cord running up the left back of my neck. I can knock it out with minimal pain meds fairly quickly. I can be relatively pain free all day and then this sets in pretty much like clockwork. Anyone else have this?

You know what Kacee I was wondering the same thing. We have the same doctor and seems like some of the same issues?

MetalBand did you know that your body only absorbs 20-25 grams of protien at one time You have to split that Protein up into 2 servings

Thanks for the tip...I did it today too! It does take hours to get it down but my next shake will have only one scoop.

You are kind to reply, saves me from thinking I am getting the protein I need!

Okay, I was just drinking my strawberry Protein Shake I made, which is very good. All of a sudden I burped and most of it came back up....WHOA! Just kindof like no one had really shut the door on it when it went down the first time. No throat or stomach spasm or anything....it just kindof "arrived" in my mouth again.....weird.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm 19 days PO and 2 days ago starting to feel SO HUNGRY! Is there anyone else like this???

I'm on the mushies stage but feel like I could eat anything. Does anyone have any advise?

Now I know what they mean by "bandsters he--" during this fase? Of course the last thing I want to do is gain any of the weight I've lost so far... I'm afraid to even get on the scale.< /p>

Okay, I was just drinking my strawberry Protein Shake I made, which is very good. All of a sudden I burped and most of it came back up....WHOA! Just kindof like no one had really shut the door on it when it went down the first time. No throat or stomach spasm or anything....it just kindof "arrived" in my mouth again.....weird.

How much had you dranked before that happened?

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm 19 days PO and 2 days ago starting to feel SO HUNGRY! Is there anyone else like this???

I'm on the mushies stage but feel like I could eat anything. Does anyone have any advise?

Now I know what they mean by "bandsters he--" during this fase? Of course the last thing I want to do is gain any of the weight I've lost so far... I'm afraid to even get on the scale.< /p>

Cfred being hungry is actually a good thing. Now that you are on mushies and eating at least 3 small meals that means that your metabolism is moving fast and your burning off what you eat:D

cfred,

I feel the same way! I am 20 PO and am HUNGRY. I am also having a really hard time fighting tempations! I am trying to drink, drink, drink when I'm tempted to eat, but it's getting really hard. Since starting mushies, I too, feel like I could eat nearly anything.

According to my doc you would be ready for a fill. My Doc told me ot come in at 3weeks for a fill. To aide in not gaining weight. I'm on mushies as well and can't believe how much I eat less. Actually I don't really get full, I just quit after a few bites bc I'm scared to feel miserable and don't really know when enough is enough.. It is quite a different full feeling.. I have a hard time leaving that much food still in the bowl or on the plate as well. I started only puting very little to try and trick my brain.. It helps til I go to clean the Kitchen.. Being addicted to food is much harder to break then other addictions I think, but I've never had other addictions to try and break. This was the one goingto kill me..

cfred,

I feel the same way! I am 20 PO and am HUNGRY. I am also having a really hard time fighting tempations! I am trying to drink, drink, drink when I'm tempted to eat, but it's getting really hard. Since starting mushies, I too, feel like I could eat nearly anything.

I was incorrect in my first thread, I'm actually 18 days PO not 19 days. I'm trying to hurry May along faster than what it already is...

Tamjpjb - I feel the same way, it is getting really hard. I am also trying to drink, drink, drink and then I think to myself - "am I drinking to fast, not sipping right" When you have an eating addiction all old habits start forming in the head again!!!