Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

For those asking about protien...my Doc requires 90 grams of suplimental whey protien a day. I use the Champion Nutrition mostly. You can find it on Ebay. I love the chocolate as a cocoa in the AM and mix the vanilla with crystal lite, SF syrups or a few berries for a smoothy...yum! We make the drinks with 1.5 scoop per serving (30 grams of protien) it gets you the protien with out excessive calories.

PS...these are not the same as meal replaement shakes (Slimfast) which are higher in calories.

Happy "Shaking"

Hi Everyone,

I'm done and in bandland! This is how my day went, I went in at 11:30 a.m. on Monday May 14 (my anniversary I might add) Was taken in for surgery around 2:30p.m. My family said I came out around 6 o'clock because I was in recovery for a couple of hours. The surgery I think said took 1 1/2 hrs. and that everything went great! The first few days were not so bad, but when I got up for the first time I got the dry heeves and it was awful, I needed some anitnausea meds stat, which finally came and helped immensely! I guess at some point in the middle of the night they said my heart rate slowed down quite a bit and they were concerned as to why, but it never happened again and they are going to monitor it as an outpatient. The following day I was to go home I had to go down for the Barrium swallow but I had too much swelling for it to go down so the doc wanted me to stay one more day and try it again after the swelling went down. The next day it did and I was able to go home. Hooray! I feel a hundred times better today, except for the incredible sounds that are coming from my belly. No real pain and I didn't take any pain meds today. Having my Jello, Unjury and ice chips so far but do not feel hungry. The worst part of this whole experience is finding out how terrible our health care system as gotten. I have NEVER been in the hospital for anything except having my two boys, but this was horrible. The nurses could have cared less about us. Don't get me wrong, we had a couple of nice ones but on the whole they were not caring or pleasant or anything......I am so glad to be home and starting my new life. Take care and good luck to all those that are going in soon or have just had it done.

KK- they sell them at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, almost any supplement store. They come in all kinds of flavors my favorite is the Alpine Punch. They are more like a juice than anything, but a tad bit thicker. I like them a lot.

Since you would use regular Water for the boiling water in the Jello and putting the Isopure in afterward in place of the cold water and putting it in the fridge i dont see how that would affect it? who knows.

Laura P,

That sounds yummy! I have been eating the sf puddings with a little lite cool whip, but I hate it that i am not getting the ptn. Where did you get your vanilla Protein Powder? ? Do you know...are there ones that taste/work better than others?

I just wanted to let you know that I make sf pudding and I mix in a scoop o chocolate or unflavored whey Protein in it. It does not change the taste. The kids enjoy it too. I also take the unflavored whey protein powder and mix it in with pancake batter etc. The family is now getting much more protein and they cannot taste the difference!!!

Good Luck......4 more days and I get over the fence and make it to the other side!

Maureen

Happy Thursday to Everyone!

I just want to say what a great site this is and what a great thing that we can all share our experiences and go through it together! I'm counting down the days until banding - going camping this weekend so won't be a whole lot of fun on the pre-op Optifast. Also camping the weekend after surgery. Oh well, next year at this time we will all look FABULOUS!

:cheer2:

Good Luck to everyone in your surgeries!!!

Good Luck to those of you getting the band tomorrow! :clap2:

I know how excited, nervous, and READY you all are - I was the same way just last week! Please let everyone know how you are doing since we are all in this together and best wishes for speedy recovery!

mommytokk: hi there, roommate! How is the Protein search? I am struggling. I stopped at the Vitamin Shoppe last night and bought a Protein Drink - 51g/can - single serving they had in the fridge. Let me just say eeewwww. Today has been an Adkins shake, creamy sweet potatoes, and diced peaches. Tonight I might try tuna salad. What about egg salad? I know it's bad for the cholesterol, but maybe? What new things have you found?

You know what I find so amazing? It seems like the doctor's are all over the place with the instructions they give people. Some have long liquids stages, others go almost straight to mushies. Then, most people here talk about using Protein powder. My surgeon told me absolutely no powders like that because they can plug the hole! No wonder it's such a confusing process.

You're not kidding, there are so many different instructions and I realize we are all different so it's not that unusual, but what I really want to know is why are we supposed to do liquid meds? Why can't we take pills? Can someone please clear that up, I just realized I didn't know the answer to this and ran out of liquid pain meds and was thinking "why can't I just take a pill?"

:help: I am having trouble getting my time line from tickerfactory onto my blog. Anyone? I feel like a goofball. Maybe my 11 year old can help me!!

Hello May Bandsters, I am having my surgery on Tuesday, May 22. I am very nervous and don't really have anyone to talk to about it since I am keeping it a secret from everyone except my husband and children. Is there anything special that you wish you would've had and didn't when you got home from surgery. I live by a lake about 20 miles from the nearest town so would like to be prepared. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hi Bandsters

I'm on day 7 of my pre-op liquid diet, due for banding on Monday.

I am absolutely CRAVING a hamburger and fries -- especially since the coordinator told me I won't be able to eat a burger ever again.

I've been good thus far, and if I'm good the remaining 2 days, how bad would a burger be?

I'm very curious about the pill thing myself. Anyone?

As for the ticker.. You should be able to copy the html they give on tickerfactory and paste it into your signature section of this site. To get there got to 'UserCP' at the top then 'Edit Signature' under 'Control Panel'. Once here you can paste the code into that box and click 'Save Signature'. You should then have a cool new ticker! If you have problems, you can pm me and I'll try to help futher. Hope that helps!

Lol. Can you tell I did tech support for a long time? :)

Hi Manatee,

I'm on on day 10 and man does it suck! :P

I think your burger question depends on the type of burger you want. If you mean fast food burgers, yeah those should probly be out for good. If you mean home cooked burgers, you can probly have those again. As for a burger during liquid. I think the best thing to do is always to follow the instructions your doctor gave you. So I would try to your best to avoid it. :)

I know, it's just head hunger and a bit of a "what the heck am I DOING???" attack. I don't really need a burger and won't go get one.

Thanks for the response :)

Hey guys and girls!

I too am a maygirl!! My band was done on May 2nd. I just wanted to say hello to you all and I'm so excited there's a place to reach out. I live 2 hours away from my Doc's office so it's not realistic to go back and forth for the support meetings. I'm doing good so far. Sometimes I feel like I have a side-ache. I got clearance from my Doc to start eating tuna salad and baked fish. I had baked samon drizzled in FF italian dressing and little fresh lemon juice. OMG. So good.

Anywho....allo to you all and I'm excited to be part of the May group!

Love and happiness,

Will