Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hi all you A-May-Zing Bandsters! I havent been on-line for a few days so have been taking time to catch up on everyones posts. The pre and post op experiences of each of you are so varied that it makes for interesting (and informative) reading....

I feel very fortunate that I have had such an easy time of it so far. Today is my 55th birthday and I really thought my age might make my recovery harder but am glad to report that it didnt. Today I am 13 days Post Op and feel up to just about anything not too strenous. I went shopping one week post op and went again yesterday to get some summer sandels. My clothes are getting baggy on me--what a great feeling!

:hungry:I am eating baked potatos, applesauce, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, Soup, cooked veggies and tomorrow I get to start on baked fish, tuna with diet mayo, whole grain toast and protien bars...I eat real slow and chew the heck out of everything. food tastes so much better now for some reason. Maybe because I actually have time to enjoy it instead of inhaling it like I used to!! I can eat and stay full for a lot longer now, even tho my portions are pretty small. By the way, I am finding that the one 'hard' thing for me is remembering not to drink liquids 30 minutes before or 90 minutes after I eat....

:clap2:Congrats to all those who have crossed to the banded side and Best wishes to those who are soon to be banded--

Rest, take your pain meds (dont try to tough it out), Get in lots of Protein for quicker healing and stay hydrated!! sip sip sip--an ounce every 15 minutes the first few days after surgery worked well for me.

Hey everyone---

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was banded yesterday and I am feeling okay. But real quick, I hope that all my May 14th banding buddies did good yesterday:

SoulfulGrandma

rubylyn

amandawv

melissa o

NurseLaureli

legster

Dutchgrl59

phuber40

And if your name is not on the list and you were banded yesterday, congrats!!! Also, to all the one's who were banded before us and going to be banded today (JENNYC724 & Losin'it) and later on, Good Luck to you. :youcandothis:

Okay, My day went like this---

Woke up at 3:15 am, took shower because I wanted to feel fresh for the surgery. DH and I left the house at 4 am, arrived in San Antonio 5:45 am. Registered at 6 am, was taken to changing room about 6:20 am, stayed there until about 8 am. The nurses then took me to the holding room where everyone waits until they are taken to their operating room. I stayed in the holding room until about 9:35. At that time, I was rolled to operating room. I was in surgery until 11:50 am. Don't ask me why the surgery took so long, not sure. Then I was taken to recovery until about 12:30pm at which point after that I was rolled back to my room to start waking up good and was told to relax. They also told me to get up in walk and try and urinate. Which I did both not a problem. Finally left San Antonio around 2:45 pm and was home by 4 pm. That was my day in a nutshell. All of the hospital staff was great and you can tell they cared a lot. I would recomment them to anyone. Well, here it is day two post-op and I feel like I have been hit by a truck. or did about 2000 sit-ups. The gas has been minimal so far. Please keep me in your prayers as I will do the same. I don't know if me feeling like I got hit by a truck is normal, can someone please let me know. Thanks for reading my story. Take care!

Yes. Day 2 was the worse for me also. Keep your head and just keeping walking as much as you can. Take it one day at a time. It only gets better not worse. Good Luck:D

Hi all you A-May-Zing Bandsters! I havent been on-line for a few days so have been taking time to catch up on everyones posts. The pre and post op experiences of each of you are so varied that it makes for interesting (and informative) reading....

I feel very fortunate that I have had such an easy time of it so far. Today is my 55th birthday and I really thought my age might make my recovery harder but am glad to report that it didnt. Today I am 13 days Post Op and feel up to just about anything not too strenous. I went shopping one week post op and went again yesterday to get some summer sandels. My clothes are getting baggy on me--what a great feeling!

:hungry:I am eating baked potatos, applesauce, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, Soup, cooked veggies and tomorrow I get to start on baked fish, tuna with diet mayo, whole grain toast and protien bars...I eat real slow and chew the heck out of everything. food tastes so much better now for some reason. Maybe because I actually have time to enjoy it instead of inhaling it like I used to!! I can eat and stay full for a lot longer now, even tho my portions are pretty small. By the way, I am finding that the one 'hard' thing for me is remembering not to drink liquids 30 [/url] minutes before or 90 minutes after I eat....

:clap2:Congrats to all those who have crossed to the banded side and Best wishes to those who are soon to be banded--

Rest, take your pain meds (dont try to tough it out), Get in lots of Protein for quicker healing and stay hydrated!! sip sip sip--an ounce every 15 minutes the first few days after surgery worked well for me.

13_10_3.gif

Glad to hear you are doing good. One thing though I was told by my doctor not to drink 30 minutes before eating and Take at least 20 mins to eat your food Then wait 30 minutes after you eat to drink again. Maybe this will help you to remember 30/20/30. Good Luck

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZUxdm265MJUS

Hi everyone! I have two questions . . . I am on day 12 of my pre-op liquid diet and my weight loss has totally stalled for three days. I'm getting a little frustrated over it. I walked for an hour yesterday hoping to move it some but this morning it is still stuck on the same weight. Any suggestions or comments?

Hi Wenjea, You're a May 17ther like me aren't you? We are sooo close. I've been really tearful today, I think I'm just super excited and scared. Anyway, I have had the EXACT same experience on the pre-op diet. Lost tons of weight in the first days (probably mostly water), slowed way down, and now stopped. I'm wondering if the really low calories have maybe kicked our bodies into "starvation" mode and now we are hanging onto the weight for deal life. It's frustrating though. I lost about 11 pounds in first week, which kept me going, but yeah, um it's really not that fun anymore is it? :youcandothis: Just two more days now though!!!

Hello,

I'm scheduled for May 21. My doctor is Dr. Michael Haley from Mitchell, SD. I'm very excited, but nervous!!! Just wondering if any of you have had a previous gastric bypass? I had one about 12 years ago, got married, had two daughters and here I am.

Good Luck to Everyone!!! Can't wait to see what the next year brings us!!! Hoooray for us!!!

By the way.........does anyone know how to get the weight ticker to show up and not just the web address? Thanks!!!

:clap2:

Hello,

I'm scheduled for May 21. My doctor is Dr. Michael Haley from Mitchell, SD. I'm very excited, but nervous!!! Just wondering if any of you have had a previous gastric bypass? I had one about 12 years ago, got married, had two daughters and here I am.

Good Luck to Everyone!!! Can't wait to see what the next year brings us!!! Hoooray for us!!!

By the way.........does anyone know how to get the weight ticker to show up and not just the web address? Thanks!!!

:clap2:

Click on the ticker that you created and click COPY then PASTE it to your signature box.

Good Luck!!

ok, I think I did a baddddd thing!!!! I went to the store today to get some Soup for myself (to strain) for dinner--and while I was there I picked up a pizza the deli made. After everyone ate I was cleaning up and there was pizza cheese on the bottom which I could not help myself from picking up, chewing and trying to eat. IT GOT STUCK!!!!! :youcandothis: :D :eek: I was so scared--I tried to drink some Water and it seemed like it just sat there. I was so mad at myself. I ended up making a cup of hot tea and it seemed like drinking it help un-stick that piece of cheese. but OMG--I learned a Huge lesson! I hope I didn't do anything bad to my band, I'm so dumb! :cry

Amy

ok, I think I did a baddddd thing!!!! I went to the store today to get some Soup for myself (to strain) for dinner--and while I was there I picked up a pizza the deli made. After everyone ate I [/url] was cleaning up and there was pizza cheese on the bottom which I could not help myself from picking up, chewing and trying to eat. IT GOT STUCK!!!!! :youcandothis: :D :eek: I was so scared--I tried to drink some Water and it seemed like it just sat there. I was so mad at myself. I ended up making a cup of hot tea and it seemed like drinking it help un-stick that piece of cheese. but OMG--I learned a Huge lesson! I hope I didn't do anything bad to my band, I'm so dumb! :cry

Amy

It's OK we all make mistake How else will we ever learn the things we can not do. Don't be so hard on yourself. It over and you know not to do the it next time. Just look at it like this. The band is something new Our eating habits and wanting to eat just don't up and disappear. Cheer Up it's ok we are only Human

36_1_67.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZUxdm265MJUS

Hi again,

Melissa O, Rubylyn, Laura P, & Kadrian Matthews, thanks for the comments and congrats on your surgery. I will be happy once this belly pain and gas goes away. Yes, I have also heard that day 2 & 3 is the worst. Let me ask ya'll a question, did ya'll get an elevated temp during the 1st few days or 1st week? Mine is under 100, but it has me a little bothered. My doc said that he wanted me to take my temp twice a day for the first 14 days, so that makes me wonder if it is normal??? Anyway, if you have any info regarding that, please let me know. I am not dealing with the gas in my shoulders, it is mainly in my lower belly and I am passing it pretty regularly.

Keiko, just remember, I think that most of us question our decisions to do this in the beginning. You are probably making the right decision. I understand the feelings of going from, YES I am doing this, to oh crap, am I sure this is what I want. But, I think in the end, I made the right decision. I honestly think you are going to do great. Just remember, your family is going to benefit from this by having their mommy back. Good luck to you! ;)

Short01, Good luck with your surgery. I also think you are going to do great. Dry mouth was also a problem for me and I think that happens to everyone too. The only reason I mention the dry mouth thing because there was a post about it on here. Don't remember who posted it, but yes, I delt with it. Its crazy! But all in all, I really do wish youa speedy recovery.

Take care everyone and keep us updated on your results.

Hi all,

I was banded on Monday, had to stay overnight and just got home a few hours ago. Everything went fine, I was up and around 10 minutes after I got to my room and the gas hasn't been too bad, did a lot of walking the halls.

I'm tired and sore, but really it doesn't seem too bad so far. I can swallow my smaller pills, haven't tried any real big ones.

One thing that is bothering me, maybe someone can help? I got on the scale when I got home, and I have gained like 7 lbs!!!!

had nothing at all but Water in the hospital, not even a flavored water, but they did give me 6 IV bags of "ringers" whatever that is. I've been peeing like crazy so I didn't think that it could be water but what do I know.

Anyway, I wish all the next group well, don't be afraid it isn't that bad - and broth and Protein Shakes at home are heaven!

thanks for being there May-buddies, this is the greatest support thread.

Hi all,

I was banded on Monday, had to stay overnight and just got home a few hours ago. Everything went fine, I was up and around 10 minutes after I got to my room and the gas hasn't been too bad, did a lot of walking the halls.

I'm tired and sore, but really it doesn't seem too bad so far. I can swallow my smaller pills, haven't tried any real big ones.

One thing that is bothering me, maybe someone can help? I got on the scale when I got home, and I have gained like 7 lbs!!!!

had nothing at all but Water in the hospital, not even a flavored water, but they did give me 6 IV bags of "ringers" whatever that is. I've been peeing like crazy so I didn't think that it could be water but what do I know.

Anyway, I wish all the next group well, don't be afraid it isn't that bad - and broth and Protein Shakes at home are heaven!

Hi Soulful Grandma---

First of all, congrats on being banded. I hear ya on the weight gain. I have gained 5 lbs since yesterday. Its crazy, but I think because of the fluids they give you and swelling, is what causes you to gain the weight initially. If I am wrong, someone please let me know because I would liek to know as well why I gained 5 lbs. LOL! ;)

Hi all,

I think my weight was gain was more like 10 pounds! I finally lost that and about 5 more pounds so it's coming off. I hope I lose at least another 5 before I see my doctor for my 2 week check up!

Amy