Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

hahahah!

oh my gosh!

I'm soo stealing that and calling my bf that when he gets crabby with me. LOVE IT!

:clap2:

feel free! i'm happy to share it!

cindyluhu and cfred,

good luck tomorrow!! hope all goes well...please let us know how you do!

Originally Posted by amy viewpost.gif

happy.gif Hi Yall, (yes, I'm from the South and it just popped out)

Has anyone been "nesting" before surgery? I feel like I'm about to have a baby. I've been cleaning like crazy, stocking up on stuff for the house, like I'll never be able to leave again and I have even cleaned out my sock drawer! I realize I'm a nut, but the upside is my house IS clean. What has gotten in to me?happy.gif

amy...boy, I WISH I had that nesting urge!! My house needs some work! I am too excited to clean (maybe a little nervous too!) I've been tired also, because I am having trouble sleeping at night. I think I am just getting anxious for it to be over. I'm from the south too...Houston area...what about you?

(only 2 more days!!!)

What are you eating in your post op liquid phase? My nurse tells me to use a blender and be creative? Does that mean a cheeseburger blended up?

Share details please!

Well, I don't know how creative this is, but I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow (first day on full liquids). I was cleaning out my freezer today and found some fresh frozen peaches from last summer. I'm going to blend those up w/ some skim milk and vanilla Protein powder...I hope it tastes like a peach shake!

Oh, but you said post op liquid phase...hmmm, I remember one Thanksgiving, my cousin had been in a car accident and had his jaw wired shut. He had his entire Thanksgiving dinner blended up! It grossed me out at the time, but right now it sounds wonderful!!!

Hey,

I know it's late but I need to update on my pre-op.

When my bloodpressure was taken my numbers were Soooo high that everyone is afraid of a stroke. Half the day I was on the calendar, and the other half the day I was cancelled. The roller coaster emotions have me exhausted. In short, this is what was planned:

I am to see a PCP for meds. If he wants to closely monitor me for a week then I will have surgery on 5/21. If he feels good about giving me meds on Thursday and keeping the orignal date then I will have surgery on 5/14. I will keep you all posted.

Nighty Night

Patty - Hope your blood pressure gets lowered and surgery goes fine for you. If you are not sure then wait, get it down, and do it later. My mom had a massive stroke about a year and a half ago and that is partly why I decided to get this done now. My grandmother died in her sleep of a massive stroke when she was 57. I am 51 now so I better turn this train around before it is to late. One more week and I will be on the right track!

Day seven of liquid pre-op is over and surgery is one week from tomorrow! I am really dealing with the head issues of eating these past few days. I have five more weeks of liquid to go before mushies. sometimes I don't know if I can make it. I know . . . . one baby step at a time . . .

Good luck tomorrow all you May 9th banders. Hope the rest of this weeks banders are healing well. I am so proud of all of you!

Patty, The not knowing what date you are going to have surgery would stress me out! I am sorry youre plans are so up in the air ;) I hope you feel better ASAP!

Hi Mommytokk,

I have definately run amok, I was ironing at 11 p.m. last night! I know what you mean about not sleeping well, my mind races with excitement when I finally get in bed, then I toss and turn. You'd think with all this activity, I would lose some weight!

BTW, I live in wonderful Birmingham, Alabama, the best kept secret of the South.;)

Hi, everyone--I was banded on Monday. I was scheduled for 8:30 a.m. but didn't get into the OR until 1 p.m. I remember waking up in the pacu really really nauseated and in more pain than I anticipated. They gave me anti-nause meds and more pain meds and I went up to my room. I had a PCA pump of Dilaudid and used it, trust me! That night and the next night I felt really good--I walked a lot around the hospital floor. But then the gas pains set in--it was sooo horrible! I went and had my swallow study done==that was totally disgusting=and it showed that when I drank I had some back up into my esophagus and it stayed in the bottom portion of my stomach. Doctor said it was because of swelling and decided to keep me one more night. I felt horrible all Tuesday night and most of yesterday with the gas pains--the incisions only hurt minimally and I am totally nauseated! I stuck my bum in the air a lot yesterday to move the gas pains around and that and gas-x def have helped. I feel like I only got hit by a car today instead of a mack truck! I think I was totally unprepared for how much pain I'd be in--I read these stories of people going to Mexico that fly home almost the next day and it seemed like I could 'bounce back' quickly too--not! My husband has been so wonderful taking care of everything! I haven't eaten since Saturday--I couldn't eat on tuesday after my swallow study and have NO desire to eat anything at all. What I've been doing is sipping Water throughout the day and crushing ice with a bit of ocean spray juice and eating that--but no desire for broth or Jello or anything like that! I hope it gets better and that this will be a distant memory once I start losing weight! ;)

Amy--banded 5/7/07

eight days out of being banded and starting to get hungry especially eating alot of Soups but still losing weight never had to to take any pain meds but including the 10 pre op diet and the eight day post op banding i have lost the weight in my opinon way too fast, 41 pounds in 18 days thats not right is it? I thought one to two lbs per week, any comments is welcome. ( maybe like eat more soup)

Hi Slackation,

WoW... That is fast, but men drop weight so much faster than women. I'm sure you will taper off soon to the more reasonable 1 to 2 lbs. a week. However, I would sure talk to my doctor about this to make sure you are getting the right nutrition. Are you getting enough Protein?

Hello everyone ... banded Tuesday morning, back on line and back at work today feeling great!!! (I'm only working half a day) Amy I am sooooo sorry to hear things haven't gone so well for you -- have faith things will get better.

I have been ranting and raving about my surgery and the care I received -- I was so fortunate to get the revised AP band and low profile port, (primariely because of everything I learned from this forum) person scheduled before me cancelled, I was the only surgery that day went in around 10 out by 12 in my room by 1:00 and was out walking the hospital floor by 1:30 -- made myself a little cheat sheet liquid 30 ccs /breathing excerises/ankle flexes/walking and checked it all off as I went it was very enpowering. I just want to say a quick thanks to all of you who wished me well I am so very greatful and blessed so far soooo goood. I better do a little work in the meantime, I am anxious to post the rest of my journey and anyone who can benefit from my experience I'm thrilled to help -- all questions welcome, I feel like I have gotten so much from this forum, its my way of giving back... To all those who have yet to be banded -- keep reading educate yourself and be the best possible surgical patient you can be !!!! Knowledge really is power.....

WOW! that IS alot to lose!!!

I remember the nurse in my pre op classes saying that people tend to lose about 20-30lbs the first month after being banded... so, looking at it that way I suppose you're right on track. Really, it only makes sence... being on Clear Liquids (not sure how long you had to do it) only takes in a VERY minimal amount of calories... I checked my broth and its 25 cal per cup... and everything else is sugar free, low cal....

full liquids are a little more..but not drastically more.

I would say... WAY TO GO!!! however, make sure you are getting in your daily amount of protein...

I'll be out of town for the next couple of days (with no internet connection)... best of luck to everyone!!

Hey,

I know it's late but I need to update on my pre-op.

When my bloodpressure was taken my numbers were Soooo high that everyone is afraid of a stroke. Half the day I was on the calendar, and the other half the day I was cancelled. The roller coaster emotions have me exhausted. In short, this is what was planned:

I am to see a PCP for meds. If he wants to closely monitor me for a week then I will have surgery on 5/21. If he feels good about giving me meds on Thursday and keeping the orignal date then I will have surgery on 5/14. I will keep you all posted.

Nighty Night

Hey Patti, I have high bp problems as well. Have been on meds for several years and am hoping that this operation will allow me to get off of them. I hate to hear you're having the same problem. Maybe this is just due to pre-op jitters and it won't take much to get it under control. Please do keep us posted.