Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Maya, I'm new too and was banded on 5/4/07. I found the most comfortable position was on my right side, but with my legs together. No thrown over the other, KWIM? I had to sleep on my back the first couple of nights but that's very hard for me. I can sleep on my left side some now, but not for long. Good luck.

Hi everyone..

Well I had my surgery this morning and it is now 2:45PM Central time and I'm waiting on my Dr to release me. So far I feel great.. Haven't had any pain meds since what they gave me in the recovery room almost 6 hours ago. All of my nurses keep telling me how great I've done and how good I look... I just hope the rest of my healing journey is like this.

Thank you for all the support, I'll be checking back in..

Good luck to all of the Friday surgeries...

Dr. just came in, saw me on the internet and said "looks like your ready to go" home I'm heading - YIPPEE we get to beat traffic :rolleyes:

Hello Everyone,

Did anyone have tips on the most comfortable way to sleep??? I am having a lot of problems at night! Please let me know what is working best for you. THANKS :rolleyes:

hey Maya! glad you joined us!

i was banded on the 8th. i haven't been able to sleep in the bed since then. our bed sits kind of low and i just can't get comfortable, so i've been sleeping in my recliner w/ a heating pad to my back. normally i don't sleep well in a recliner, except for naps, but i've been catching some major zzzz'sss lately!

The 8th I was banded. I am still sick and nauseated..I just had a 3 hr. ride home..I'm so full of gas. I walked twice druing my trip. I am sipping Water ever 5 min. I am really having a difficult time.Shar

Shar--I was feeling the same way, until today. I was banded a day before you. I've been taking the Gas-X pills on a regular basis and also doing what someone recommended>>lying on my bed and putting my arm and shoulders on the bed so that my bum is sticking up in the air (like a baby likes to lie) and it's been helping a lot. My incisions don't hurt as much today and the gas is much better. I am nauseated only occasionally today but have NO appetite at all. I forced down 1/2 cup of unjury chicken broth for a whoppin' 10.5 grams of Protein, but I can't seem to force myself to do anything else! I have Isopure zero carb Water but again, the mere thought of drinking that makes my stomach turn. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Amy

Laureli- I know what you mean about eating out. That is all we do. Now that I can't, it has been weird. Our society is built around food!! Congrats on completing your pre-op. I felt strange after that too. We just have to keep reminding outselves that what we will have later will be better than any restaurant!!

You A-May-Zing folks have been busy! I love this board!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Welcome Maya and Lodum!

<o:p> </o:p>

Cfred- YEAH for you! I wore full makeup to the hospital and the recovery nurses kept commenting on it, I was glad I did, it made me feel better!

Crabcake- do you not think that the heating pad is heavenly! I am not sleeping in my bed yet, my son sleeps with us and I am afraid of him kicking me!

Amy & Shar- I hope you feel better soon!! I walked over a mile today (not by choice, LOL!) and my shoulder is already feeling better. I have hope that it really will improve!!

Protein- someone tell me more about this, I didn’t buy any Protein Powder, should I? Does it help with hunger? What did you buy? I have been drinking Atkins shakes and they are ok.

I have to find out how many calories in Apple juice. Watered down apple juice is what helps me fight hunger at the moment!

Anybody in Arkanasas?

PHMOM- Sorry to hear you are in so much pain... I think the fact that some people recover so phenomenolly quick, makes us (or at least me) forget that this IS major surgery. I know you will feel better in NO time. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Patty- I'm glad they caught your blood pressure issue early. My pre-op testing (back in February) revealed a leaky heart valve that I would never have found if I didn't have to see a cardiologist as part of mandated pre-op testing... Whatever date they choose to reschedule your surgery for (if they do end up rescheduling it)... You'll still be a-MAY-zing. Did they make do a pre-op diet?? That would be soo frustrating.. like being on liquids indefinately ... hopefully, that's not the case.

I get banded the last week of May. Counting the days.

Liberattor,

Let me know what date you'll be banded and I will add you to our

a-MAY-zing calender.

I went for my pre-op testing yesterday and today to my nutrition and nursing class.

They told us NO RECLINERS to sleep in!!!! Apparently there is data about blood clot formation and that position for sleeping? I guess I've got me a data search to do.

I also was told I have to stop my BCP and I cannot start them again for 6 weeks after surgery. GRRRRRrrr!!!! Not like I'm having sex anyway, but still. I take them to keep my period under control. I asked the Pre-op clearance doc if I could give him my three week period. Cause that's what I'll have once I go off these bad boys.

I would normally balk at these things, and I'd be pulling up study after study to show them they are off base on making me stop, or I'd just keep taking them and not say anything. But I have the worst luck, and knowing me, I'd end up with the PE (pulmonary embolus) and die. Pffffft! So I'm actually going to toe the line on this. And that's not like me at all!

I went for my pre-op testing yesterday and today to my nutrition and nursing class.

They told us NO RECLINERS to sleep in!!!! Apparently there is data about blood clot formation and that position for sleeping? I guess I've got me a data search to do.

I also was told I have to stop my BCP and I cannot start them again for 6 weeks after surgery. GRRRRRrrr!!!! Not like I'm having sex anyway, but still. I take them to keep my period under control. I asked the Pre-op clearance doc if I could give him my three week period. Cause that's what I'll have once I go off these bad boys.

I would normally balk at these things, and I'd be pulling up study after study to show them they are off base on making me stop, or I'd just keep taking them and not say anything. But I have the worst luck, and knowing me, I'd end up with the PE (pulmonary embolus) and die. Pffffft! So I'm actually going to toe the line on this. And that's not like me at all!

I'm on BCP because of a cyst--I didn't have to stop taking them and I asked repreatedly. I was given Lovenox in the hospital so I guess they weren't worried. Also, the night of my surgery--the nurse brought in a nice fluffy leather recliner and told me if I was comfortable in it I could sleep in it! the first night I didn't, but the second night I did! I guess each doctor is different!

I was wondering--what has everyone's post-op diet been? My doctor is clears for 2 weeks, but I've read that some are already on full liquids in week 2?

THANKS for the well wishes, too!

Amy

Pghmomof3. My post op diet seemed alot diffrent from everyone elses. Because I had no pre-op diet. 24-48 of liquids after surgery. Then 4 weeks of mushies. And then back to the regular food.< /p>

Crabcake- do you not think that the heating pad is heavenly!

yep, i would be in a world of hurt w/out it.

I have to find out how many calories in Apple juice.

According to calorieking.com, 1 cup of apple juice, unsweetened is 107 calories.

faithmd, i've been toeing the line pretty much too. but if i can't sleep in the recliner, then i'd have to sleep standing in the corner! laying down is soooo painful right now. my back feels like someone kicked it. i'm wondering if my doc didn't squeeze an organ and bruise it! :D maybe that's the gas, but it's not up in my shoulder at all, rather right below my shoulder blade around where my kidneys are. i sure hope it's better tomorrow, but the nurse said friday may be my worst day! i'm sucking down the pain meds like they're candy...i'm such a weenie when it comes to pain! :faint: