Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Susan's Solemn Silliness

Hi Susan!

I wondered where you had gotten to. I am so happy to see you back posting again. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling though, and as I am not banded yet I can't answer your question about damage, but I sure can say... you are going to be ok!

Confession... lol ... is good for the soul and I am sure that you are feeling better having gotten back here and written. We are in this together so to speak! We all have hard times and difficult days but what we once faced alone we can now face with others who understand. It could be all part of learning how to use this new tool. Some things can't be learned over night.

I don't want to come off sounding like some kind of motivational speaker or a goof, but here goes... this is a new day and you can start again on another path. Let go of yesterday and get moving with today!! Live the best life you can right now! -=big smiles and a hug too=- Be good to yourself.

ps. George and Gracey say HI!! -=winks=-

Thank you LeslieLee! That is exactly why I came back here - to get the support I obviously need! I am really go to try not to beat myself up, because I know exactly where that gets me! Back to the fridge or pantry!

How are you doing on Optifast? How many sleeps left for you?

You will start to have less appetite once you start getting fills, I suspect. I was kinda lucky in that I didn't suffer too much from hunger during the recovery period but some people do suffer during this period of time. The fills really help although you may find that it takes time and some tweaking until you hit the sweet spot. And you have already lost 25 lbs, a significant chunk of weight! You are doing very well and shouldn't beat yourself up.

Actually I myself have not been doing well lately. I have been sick with a cold and a bowel infection for weeks now and I am feeling very sorry for myself. This means eating the kind of cosy stuff which is also bad for the a$$! If I don't gain weight it is only because food isn't sticking around long enough to do any damage. The earliest appt I could make with my doc is for next Monday. I think I am going to get another fill once I get well again. Sorry for this paragraph of whining in your thread but I guess I needed to complain........

When do you go for your first fill?

And LeslieLee, where are you getting banded?

The Optifast is going well I think. I don't mind the taste too much and with adding the flavourings I got (coconut and kahlua)and sometimes fresh strawberries or raspberries, it seems not so boring. Also those pre-op pickles!! Like they say variaty is the spice of life...lol I don't think I have cheated, unless I have somehow eaten more vegetables than I should have... I sure hope not!! Hunger does rear its head and I just tell myself "keep fighting! it will all be worth it... deep breath in.... slow exhale... there ya go" That is my new mantra LOL I also imagine myself wearing a size 12 pair of jeans and a t-shirt! lol without a roll around the middle!!

I am getting my band in one week tomorrow!! so not many more sleeps. I am a mix of feelings most of the time... 8 more sleeps!!!

I have to share this with you... my son came in while I was writing a post here yesterday and asked what I was doing. I told him and he said, "Add in that I am very proud of you and that I hope everyone there is doing really good." -=smiles=- so although you have never met Matt he is cheering for you too!

Green, I will be getting my band done by Dr. Cobourn. I am excited to meet him next Tuesday! I am hoping to get a picture taken with him! -=cross your fingers=-

I was done last Sept by the TLBC gang but I have heard that Dr. Cobourn is the cutest surgeon on the lapband block. Lucky you! Do get that photograph, eh. *wink*

Green - My first fill is June 18th and I can't wait. I know it will just have to be easier than this! Fortunately or unfortunately I heal very well so I have not had any swelling to feel restricted since I started full fluids!!! That was about May 8th.... I think this hunger has been building for a while and that is why I let myself go.... That bowel infection sounds nasty, I do hope that clears up soon.

LL - you tell that Matt that he is a sweetie! He is proud of you with good reason! Those pickles sound good! When do you fly into Toronto?

I am having such a hard time and truthfully I did not expect this. I feel so ashamed of myself. Not only are my portions over the 1/4 c. measures, I have on occasion eaten bread, a couple of potatoes and some sliced deli meat. They say confession is good for the soul!

I have vowed to stick to my 1/4 c mushies until the end of this period, but I am seriously doubting myself right now. Do you think I have done some damage??

:help:

Others have already said it, so I won't repeat it Susan.....just HANG IN THERE!!! It will get better!

By the way....as for your portion sizes.....*slaps you upside the head*. Do you not have the TLBC "Post Op Diet and Nutrition Plan"???? or are you reading it incorrectly (or am I misreading your post??). On the mushies (Pureed Diet) stage you can eat MORE than 1/4 cup at a meal!!!! Do NOT starve yourself by only having 1/4 cup if you can eat more. As an example....for lunch ...you can have:

1/4 cup minced tuna AND

1/4 cup pureed potatoes AND

1/4 cup pureed veg......

In other words, this adds up to 3/4 cup (in this instance).

A good very very very filling (& chock full of protein) mushie to have is the following:

Take a can of "bean & bacon" Soup....add the 1 can of Water (as it says)....then add 1/2 can of refried Beans....mix it all up and then slowly heat it up in a pot on the stove (stirring frequently). It is a very thick Soup and should fill you up. Eat 3/4 cup of it.....

Good luck.....! All in all, you are doing GREAT, so don't berate yourself.

Actually I myself have not been doing well lately. I have been sick with a cold and a bowel infection for weeks now and I am feeling very sorry for myself. This means eating the kind of cosy stuff which is also bad for the a$$! If I don't gain weight it is only because food isn't sticking around long enough to do any damage. The earliest appt I could make with my doc is for next Monday. I think I am going to get another fill once I get well again. Sorry for this paragraph of whining in your thread but I guess I needed to complain........

Green.....take care of yourself....I hope you feel better soon and get rid of that nasty infection. *sending you good vibes*.

You have done AWESOME....."no scale girl".....!!!

Yoda. I knew about the 3/4 of a cup combined, but this weekend I definitely went over that.

Today was much better though I did your refried Beans with a layer of homemade guacamole and mushed chicket breast. It was good and filling. I agree that Beans are a good option, nutritious and delicious!!!

I am hanging in....

HI Susan,

Glad to hear you are doing better and that you tried Yoda's recipe! I am looking forward to trying them too. They certainly make them sound yummy. I have to be careful when I read the posts as my mouth tends to Water LOL. I noticed there was a warning posted along with the last menu..lol which of course I ignored and although I did once again have to wipe my chin I will be checking them out once I am able to!

I am flying into TO Monday the 28th. I land around 10:30 or so. Then off to the Novotel in Mississauga. I will be there all week. I hear that the Square One Mall is pretty good. I am hoping I will feel up to checking it out at some point while I am there.

Ah LL, I would have loved to come to meet you at some point, but Mississauga is quite a ways from downtown Toronto, where I live and work. However, PM me and I will give you my numbers, maybe we can at least talk on the phone.

Had a good day yesterday sticking to proper portions and mushies. Last night I did alot of reading in the complications section to scare me back to proper pre op diet! LOL

Green.....take care of yourself....I hope you feel better soon and get rid of that nasty infection. *sending you good vibes*.

You have done AWESOME....."no scale girl".....!!!

Thanks, Yoda. :) I should have done something weeks ago about this infection but I went into denial (because it is so gross) and hoped it would clear up on its own and it hasn't!:sick And I have had this stupid cold for about four weeks now, too! Blehhhhhhhh!:sick :sick I can't wait to see my doc this coming Monday.:help:

Susan, you are being much too hard on yourself. I was told at my first fill that they did not expect weight loss until the first fill. So give yourself a break.

Ditto what Wheezy said, Susan. Take your time and heal up for when you get your first fill, and the losin' begins!

All this talk of Beans is making me want to give refried Beans another shot! I'd like to make a little dip with some... yummmm... dip. Can I have nachos and cheese sauce with it?

Leslie: your son sounds like a sweetie. Awwwww...:)