Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Week Pre-Op Liquid Diet

The purpose of "shrinking" your liver is to deplete your glycogen stores. This basically means carbs. Once you burn those, you'll start burning fat instead. It's a jump start on your diet. But it only takes about a day of super low carb to so this. My first day I had to pee every 30 mins for two hours. (Carbs hold onto water) when that was over I knew I was there. I cheated on my liquid diet but only with Protein in the form of, turkey lunch meat, and eggs. I tried to stay as low carb as possible. Also, if you're going to do the bowel prep the day before, the less you have in your system, the better off you'll be.

Edited by Wallflower7522

Kim and Moon great advice I've not heard any one describe these things ! Thanks so much! I'm having surgery Rny on the 24 every thing one knows help calm the fears a little more. Thanks!

Kim and Moon great advice I've not heard any one describe these things ! Thanks so much! I'm having surgery Rny on the 24 every thing one knows help calm the fears a little more. Thanks!

Glad to be of help. I figure I can't be the only person with questions.. My surgery is Tuesday, 3/18. My surgeon has NO requirements. I can eat junk right up till Midnight before surgery and no bowel prep needed. It just seemed so strange to me so I have been trying to do some of the things other surgeons have required. It really helps me, or anyone prepare mentally for the surgery and new lifestyle. I'm feeling good, loving the idea of my new life and soon I will be taking care of my pouch...being careful to follow rules so I NEVER regain this weight.

Finally my surgery date is just about here. Tomorrow marks Day 1 of my new life. I can't "weight"! :)

I had to do liquids two weeks pre-op and two weeks post-op. Its not that hard--add popsicles, Jello for treats. I think you need to follow your doctor's advice though on your diet--every surgeon seems to be quite different in their requirements. Also, I didn't need to do any type of bowel prep--one of the fringe benefits of the liquid diet, although you do make stool, which surprised me.

Kim

My surgery is scheduled for April 5th. I'm already 1.5 weeks into my 4 high Protein low carb diet. I also find it challenging and have only cheated twice. I had 3 French fries from my husbands plate earlier this week and BBQ Sauce today. In trying to stay strict and I must admit it's easier than has expected only because there is an end in sight. I haven't been told anything about a clean liquid finish. I like to plan and know everything in advance so it is putting me on edge.

I did the pre op diet for 8 days because my surgery date got scheduled pretty quick but it was still a challenge. I consulted with the team at Stanford several times and they said I could have two shakes a day and 1 Protein packed meal a day so I'd have scrambled eggs or some grilled chicken salad. Sf Popsicles help a lot too bc it gives you that chewing sensation. I like the Premier Protein shakes from Costco... The strawberries and cream is delicious hehe. I am almost 5 weeks post op now and still depend on the shakes bc it's so hard to eat and I'm just scared to try new things. I know I have to but it takes time. Dont be too hard on yourself now... Just avoid the junk. You will be fine! Good luck!

I did the pre op diet for 8 days because my surgery date got scheduled pretty quick but it was still a challenge. I consulted with the team at Stanford several times and they said I could have two shakes a day and 1 Protein packed meal a day so I'd have scrambled eggs or some grilled chicken salad. Sf Popsicles help a lot too bc it gives you that chewing sensation. I like the Premier Protein shakes from Costco... The strawberries and cream is delicious hehe. I am almost 5 weeks post op now and still depend on the shakes bc it's so hard to eat and I'm just scared to try new things. I know I have to but it takes time. Dont be too hard on yourself now... Just avoid the junk. You will be fine! Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. I am now 2 days post op. i don't know how people move on to other foods. I am scared to move past water! Time will make it all easier. Best of luck to you and me...and anyone else facing a bump in the road.

I was scared to try new foods as well . I am now 18 days post op by the time I was able to eat the soft foods I wanted food . It is so good . The Protein Shakes and my body did not agree all the time. My surgeon prefers me to eat Protein the. Drink . Unless I can't tolerate food . It will get easier .

<p>I had to do liquids two weeks pre-op and two weeks post-op. Its not that hard--add popsicles, Jello for treats. I think you need to follow your doctor's advice though on your diet--every surgeon seems to be quite different in their requirements. Also, I didn't need to do any type of bowel prep--one of the fringe benefits of the liquid diet, although you do make stool, which surprised me. </p>

<p>Kim</p>

Just curious with your username Huskerm. Are you from nebraska by any chance

I had my surgery on 3/18 also and was required to do the 2-week liquid diet, which included two Protein drinks a day. I was allowed to have greek yogurt and cream Soups during this phase, so that helped quite a bit. It's definitely not easy to stick to, but it can be done. A lot of people told me that day 3 would be the hardest. They were right; once I got past that day, my cravings were easier to control. To anyone out there who has to go through the liquid diet, I just want to say "you can do it". :)

<p>I had to do liquids two weeks pre-op and two weeks post-op. Its not that hard--add popsicles, Jello for treats. I think you need to follow your doctor's advice though on your diet--every surgeon seems to be quite different in their requirements. Also, I didn't need to do any type of bowel prep--one of the fringe benefits of the liquid diet, although you do make stool, which surprised me. </p>

<p>Kim</p>

Hi! Yes, born and raised. Currently in Lincoln--you?

I had to do liquids two weeks pre-op and two weeks post-op. Its not that hard--add popsicles, Jello for treats. I think you need to follow your doctor's advice though on your diet--every surgeon seems to be quite different in their requirements. Also, I didn't need to do any type of bowel prep--one of the fringe benefits of the liquid diet, although you do make stool, which surprised me.

Kim

Hi! Yes, born and raised. Currently in Lincoln--you?
I live in iowa, but lived in Lincoln for 5 years... I live in Oakland about 30 miles east of Omaha. That's so cool to have another "loser" lol, live so close.

I have struggle a little bit since staring my pre op stuff. Like I had to quit smoking 4weeks before surgery. today I quit finally and its almost 2 week before surgery. quitting is not really a big deal to cut out for me. It is the food. I feel I might be co-dependent on food. but going through this journey has made me more self aware. the doctor put me on an all Protein shake diet. I can drink up to 4 a day. I am not going to lie, I have cheated. I feel since the date is getting closer I really need to work on the mental part of this disease. I will get through this. I am afraid of failing. but maybe this is the thing I will successes in my life.

Dear Pullmeoutfrominside.

I'm down to the last day. It does get easier. I was in a routine of every 2-3 hrs I would have a Protein Shake, then next a yogurt, Soup with Unjury Protein Powder, Jello, drink and a Popsicle. It's the Protein that carries you through. You can do it. Remember you have to do it after, so you need to be prepared. Cheating after may cause damage to the sutures, etc.and you don't want that !

The primary reason for the preop diet is to firm up your liver and shrink it, so they don't accidentally nick it during the surgery. When it's firm and smaller they can move it out of the way easier.

Congratulate yourself on what you've accomplished so far ..you're doing great ! Quitting smoking is incredibly hard ! As your stomach shrinks you're not as hungry! Keep up the good work. You can do it !