Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning! That little ticker at the bottom says 3, and only 3, as in DAYS!!! So excited and just bubbling with happiness. Been working out in my flower beds the last few days, so I think the sunshine is helping with my mood and energy levels. I have lost 10 pounds on the pre-op diet, and while this isn't miraculous, it is certainly a start in the right direction.

I went for my pre-op visit at the hospital on Thursday, and didn't really know what to expect. I had routine blood work done, and the nurse was able to get me in one stick!! I'm usually a 4-5 stick blood draw, and have very uncooperative veins. So I was happy about that. I asked this nurse if she could be at the hospital with me on Monday morning, but that is not her day to work. ^_^

Then I had a meeting with the anesthesiologist who asked some very basic questions. I have had a few surgeries before requiring general anesthesia and have not had problems, so he wasn't too worried. He explained the entire process of anesthesia/pain meds during and after surgery.

Lastly I met with a Bariatric surgery nurse who was lovely! She spent the most time with me out of everyone I saw that morning. Went through a standard power point of information that answered every single one of my questions, and some that I didn't know I had! I learned two things I hadn't thought to ask about. 1, I cannot have anything at all by mouth for the entire day after surgery while still in the hospital. If my mouth is dry, I can swish and spit but no swallowing. The next morning I will do an upper GI with a barium swallow to check for staple line leaks and make sure liquids are flowing in the path that they are supposed to. If that is all clear, then I start Clear Liquids. If it is NOT all clear, I go back in for surgery revision. I am just going to go ahead and say that I'll get the all clear!! :) Positive thinking, right? 2, I might wake up from surgery with a small drain pouch, but they rarely send a patient home with the drain. This nurse said she honestly can't remember when a bariatric patient had to go home with a drain. So I was relieved to hear that!!

She had me start a proton pump prohibitor OTC today, and wants me to even take one day of surgery with tiny sip of Water. I have a history of reflux and ulcers. Other than that, I will show up, be admitted, and have this thing over with by mid-morning! I have to call later today to get my official arrival time, but was initially scheduled as first procedure of the day. I'm really hoping that has not changed.

Wow, this post is really wordy, but my intention is to hopefully help someone else out who is either considering bypass or about to go through what I am. So thankful for this online community as I have learned a whole lot from reading posts from other members.

Blessings to everyone on this beautiful weekend! I'm off to work in my garden again. :D

Just thinking about you. Hope you are recovering beautifully!

Finally got my date may 5 yippee.

25 days and counting until the new me

Thank you, Kookichu! I have been meaning to update this log for several days, but every time I get situated on the couch with my laptop, I fall asleep! :blink: Today is Thursday and my surgery was first thing Monday morning. Here is the experience in an abbreviated nutshell.

Monday; arrived at hospital at 6:00am and was taken back to pre-op room. Had to wipe my entire body from head to toe with these horribly sticky body wipes that are supposed to do wonders for eliminating bacteria. Nurse got my IV started first try, and I was rolling back to surgery by 7:50. I remember going back and seeing my surgeon, then there was a mask on my face and boom! Out for 4 hours! I had my lap band removed, a hiatal hernia repaired, and conversion to bypass, so mine took a bit longer than regular bypass. I think regular bypass surgeries are about 2 hours. Up to my room by around 1:00, and the rest of the day is pretty much a blur. I had a pain med button to push every ten minutes and that was a lifesaver. I did have about an hour where I battled some pretty bad nausea, even though I had had several precautionary meds to keep that away. I didn't throw up, and haven't been nauseated since. (Thank the good Lord!) Nothing at all by mouth that day, only swabs dipped in mouthwash to rinse out my mouth. I was up and taking very short walks by 6:00 that night, and even bugged the nurses at 1am and 4:30am to take me walking. It felt good to move! Hubby spent the night that night.

Tuesday; radiology came to get me at 7:30 for my xray to check for leaks. Nurse gave me more anti nausea meds about an hour before that, and I highly recommend everyone ask for that! My xray was all clear, so I got to have Water, ice chips, broth, and crystal light the rest of the day in very small amounts. Nurse brought me plastic medicine cups to practice sipping out of, and they helped a lot. Walked a lot that day, further and further every time. Sat in the chair as much as possible, and took many naps. By evening, pain button gone and moved to oral pain meds, crushed and mixed with crystal light. I was hurting a bit during that transition, but quickly caught up. Dr. came in that afternoon to talk to me and said things went great. Not too much scarring from band, and everything else went just as planned. I was running a low fever that day so he kept me another night. Was pretty much self-sufficient so hubby stayed at home with our kids and gave my mom a break. Also had drain removed that evening. This didn't hurt necessarily, but did not feel good at all. Be prepared!

Wednesday; Dr came by to check on me and said he could tell I was ready to go home. (He was right about that!) Bariatric nurse came by and spent a great deal of time going over after care, expectations, etc. She took out my IV at the very end, and I was packed up and heading home by noon. Got home and into my own bed and slept for 3 hours! Took a nice hot shower after that with hubby close by, and then I felt mostly normal. Still a little groggy from pain meds, but overall doing so much better than I expected! This whole process has been easier than I ever imagined. I do have some pain, but it is not unbearable. If it starts to creep up, I have my pain meds.

Thursday; spending my day walking around the house and resting on the couch. I have already cut my pain medicine by half. Was taking 100mg Tramadol, cut to 50 this morning. Tomorrow I hope to lengthen time between. I have kept a glass of Water beside me, and so far room temp water goes down easiest. A little colder is ok. I also like the Isopure Protein waters, with 40g Protein in each bottle. I have broth with Protein powder, and the warm feels really good going down. I am taking a Prilosec pill each morning, and that worried me at first but no problems. Still crushing pain meds because they are crushable. Don't ever crush or cut a Prilosec type med! (heard about this in hospital) Tonight I am going to try to cook dinner for my family.

I do feel a little bit hungry during the day, but it is probably thirst. Tomorrow I can start full liquids and I'm looking forward to some butternut squash Soup run through the blender about 10 times! I'm also hoping my unjury strawberry powder comes in as I plan to mix that with almond milk. One day at a time! Still a bit in shock that I actually did this, and excited about the changes coming my way. I'll try to continue to update every few days as healing continues.

Good luck to those of you coming up to your date, and may God bless you and keep you safe!

Thank you, Kookichu! I have been meaning to update this log for several days, but every time I get situated on the couch with my laptop, I fall asleep! :blink: Today is Thursday and my surgery was first thing Monday morning. Here is the experience in an abbreviated nutshell. Monday; arrived at hospital at 6:00am and was taken back to pre-op room. Had to wipe my entire body from head to toe with these horribly sticky body wipes that are supposed to do wonders for eliminating bacteria. Nurse got my IV started first try, and I was rolling back to surgery by 7:50. I remember going back and seeing my surgeon, then there was a mask on my face and boom! Out for 4 hours! I had my lap band removed, a hiatal hernia repaired, and conversion to bypass, so mine took a bit longer than regular bypass. I think regular bypass surgeries are about 2 hours. Up to my room by around 1:00, and the rest of the day is pretty much a blur. I had a pain med button to push every ten minutes and that was a lifesaver. I did have about an hour where I battled some pretty bad nausea, even though I had had several precautionary meds to keep that away. I didn't throw up, and haven't been nauseated since. (Thank the good Lord!) Nothing at all by mouth that day, only swabs dipped in mouthwash to rinse out my mouth. I was up and taking very short walks by 6:00 that night, and even bugged the nurses at 1am and 4:30am to take me walking. It felt good to move! Hubby spent the night that night. Tuesday; radiology came to get me at 7:30 for my xray to check for leaks. Nurse gave me more anti nausea meds about an hour before that, and I highly recommend everyone ask for that! My xray was all clear, so I got to have Water, ice chips, broth, and crystal light the rest of the day in very small amounts. Nurse brought me plastic medicine cups to practice sipping out of, and they helped a lot. Walked a lot that day, further and further every time. Sat in the chair as much as possible, and took many naps. By evening, pain button gone and moved to oral pain meds, crushed and mixed with crystal light. I was hurting a bit during that transition, but quickly caught up. Dr. came in that afternoon to talk to me and said things went great. Not too much scarring from band, and everything else went just as planned. I was running a low fever that day so he kept me another night. Was pretty much self-sufficient so hubby stayed at home with our kids and gave my mom a break. Also had drain removed that evening. This didn't hurt necessarily, but did not feel good at all. Be prepared! Wednesday; Dr came by to check on me and said he could tell I was ready to go home. (He was right about that!) Bariatric nurse came by and spent a great deal of time going over after care, expectations, etc. She took out my IV at the very end, and I was packed up and heading home by noon. Got home and into my own bed and slept for 3 hours! Took a nice hot shower after that with hubby close by, and then I felt mostly normal. Still a little groggy from pain meds, but overall doing so much better than I expected! This whole process has been easier than I ever imagined. I do have some pain, but it is not unbearable. If it starts to creep up, I have my pain meds. Thursday; spending my day walking around the house and resting on the couch. I have already cut my pain medicine by half. Was taking 100mg Tramadol, cut to 50 this morning. Tomorrow I hope to lengthen time between. I have kept a glass of water beside me, and so far room temp water goes down easiest. A little colder is ok. I also like the Isopure Protein waters, with 40g protein in each bottle. I have broth with Protein Powder, and the warm feels really good going down. I am taking a Prilosec pill each morning, and that worried me at first but no problems. Still crushing pain meds because they are crushable. Don't ever crush or cut a Prilosec type med! (heard about this in hospital) Tonight I am going to try to cook dinner for my family. I do feel a little bit hungry during the day, but it is probably thirst. Tomorrow I can start full liquids and I'm looking forward to some butternut squash Soup run through the blender about 10 times! I'm also hoping my Unjury strawberry powder comes in as I plan to mix that with almond milk. One day at a time! Still a bit in shock that I actually did this, and excited about the changes coming my way. I'll try to continue to update every few days as healing continues. Good luck to those of you coming up to your date, and may God bless you and keep you safe!

You are awesome and very inspirational. I do happy that all is going well for you and I really appreciate you sharing this info with me. I know you are going to continue to do well in your recover. I look forward to your betcha update God Bless.

Wow that's great I'm glad that your surgery and recovery went great, I can't wait to join you, I am woundering when I can go back to work after the procedure , I sit down at a desk all day .

Cupcake, my plan is to go back to work on Monday but I will only work for two hours. I am a tutor and Monday's are super short. Tuesday I work for 6 hours so that is the one I'm not sure about. It is very flexible so if I'm not ready I can take more time.

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences. I'm pre-op and it gives me an idea of what to expect.

Tgarden, sounds as if you are right on track and that is great to hear. Not that it matters now, really, but I never had a leak test that you and most RNY patients had. That first ice chip was heavenly! I am 3 months post-op this week and down 65lbs since surgery day and find myself having energy galore not to mention excited to face ...life. Take it slow and easy, girl. I am proud of you.

I am certainly looking forward to the high energy part! Right now I am exhausted after being on my feet for 30 minutes or so. I have never been one to sit still for very long, so I am having to make myself take it easy. I just woke up from a two hour nap, so I guess my body knows best!!

I weighed myself this morning and am now back to where I was presurgery. I had lost 12 pounds on the preop diet, so I'm officially at ground zero! I had heard stories of people gaining close to 10 pounds in the hospital just from fluids, swelling and bloating so it is good to have that part behind me.

Well, here I am one week (and 1 day) post surgery, and boy has it been a whirlwind!! I have been totally off pain meds since Saturday, and I learned that liquid Tylenol sits like a brick in my stomach. I tried it twice, and will never do it again. I needed it just for a few aches and pains, but didn't want to take any more Rx drugs. Now i am just toughing it out, and my heating pad is my best friend at night! Tried crushing regular Tylenol and it was like eating a chemical spill.

Saturday I got out of the house and it was so nice! Didn't have a bra that would fit loosely enough across that very top suture, so had to find a dress where it wasn't too noticeable that I didn't have one on. Felt like a heathen the whole time! ;) Wore a little crop shrug with it so I was safe. Really tired that night.

Sunday I got out and did just a bit more, but not too much. Felt great that morning, and not so great by evening. Had a little crying spell, super overwhelmed with everything, not feeling my best, wondering if I will ever be normal again, just wanting to sit with my family and eat Sunday dinner. I was so frustrated by the lack of liquids that were appealing, and I just sortof went downhill from there. Did a LOT of praying that evening and tried to turn all of those fears and worries over, and Monday woke up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle another day.

And, I did way too much on Monday. Two errands, went to work for 2 hours, tutored in the afternoon, and by the time bedtime rolled around I was hurting and so tired. I did keep my Water intake up that day, thank goodness, or I imagine I would have been in a lot worse shape. I woke up this morning (Tuesday) at around 4:00am with heartburn and a headache. Got up and took my Prilosec a few hours early with some almond milk, and went back to sleep propped up on the couch. Decided that my body is saying "Hold up sister!!" :) So, instead of tackling the few errands that need to be done or going to work, I have been on the couch drinking my Water and getting up every once in awhile to move my body around. Nothing was so important today that I felt like I needed to put my recovery in jeopardy.

I wish I could say recovery is a piece of cake, but its not. I have a high tolerance for pain, and truly haven't been in pain. There is just this strange overall feeling of blech and lightheadedness, and the question does go through my mind, "am I sure this is what I signed up for?" I have two more weeks of liquids, and it is going to take a whole lot of positive thinking to get through it and hopefully start feeling better. I want to be up and moving for my kids and husband, and I just have to make myself stop and take time for me. I think as a mom I usually end up putting everything I need on the back burner, so I am having these huge feelings of guilt.

However, I KNOW there is an end in sight, and I am thankful for all of you postop people who post how great you are doing and how good you are feeling. Makes me realize that after this time of struggle and uncertainty, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can't go back, so there is no point on focusing on the negative. Today I am choosing to be thankful for my family, and cozy house in which to recover, and my unwavering faith that God is in control. I wish all of you continued health and safety on your upcoming surgeries, and quick recovery to those of us on the other side.

Hello, thank you for writing about your experience. I am awaiting a revision from band to bypass. I am scheduled for the end April as long as it's approved. The sleeve was already approved but the doc recommended bypass cause we discovered I have Barrett's esophagus and bypass is the better choice since the sleeve can make it worse. I am getting more scared by the day. Scared I won't lose much weight and it's such a big surgery. I am also positive in thinking a lot of things I already don't eat, Pasta, bread, sweets. The real big disappointment was not getting the sleeve & scared the bypass won't work. :)

Hi everyone I'm glad everyone is going great my surgery is scheduled for May 5 and I am so excited I will be going to meet with my surgeon next Friday and to sign all remaining hospital paperwork , I gave been waiting for this it feels like a lifetime, I have been approved 100% so that's a double blessing. I am only going to take two weeks off I hope it's enough but I don't have a demanding job and will hd sitting 90 percent of the time.

Tgarden, you have the right outlook.

I don't know how I felt so good post surgery, really. For one, the surgery was over...a lot of work, misery, and preparation seen to fruition. Secondly, remember I live alone so I had no one to "need" me other than my two fur babies. With the demands of family, I can see where recovering could be more difficult. I know I said it before, but just take things as slow and easy as you can. Time will start to work in your favor!