Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello there!

I am still in a bit of shock, but my insurance (Aetna) has approved my band-to-bypass surgery, and I am on cloud nine! There is a whole lot to my back story, but short story is, I had band 7 years ago, miserable most of those 7 years with very little success, and here I am gearing up for a whole new life! Insurance approved in less than a week! My PCP put together a lengthy, comprehensive history of my attempts at health and weight loss over the last 10 years, and I'm pretty sure that is the reason I was approved so quickly. I have no hoops to jump through, just routine blood work, EKG, a nutrition counseling session with the dietician, and an ultrasound to see if my gallbladder is acting up. My surgery date will be April 7.

I really think I'm still in shock, but I just wanted to encourage anyone out there to be persistent if you feel like this is something you want to do. We almost didn't even submit my claim to insurance because there were a few areas we just weren't sure about, but with a lot of prayer and preparation, we turned it over to God. I feel like this next step has been a long time coming, and I am a little scared. But, mostly excited and brimming with anticipation.

I will try to update this link as often as I can, in hopes that it will help someone out there in the same boat as I am. In the meantime, it's going to be a beautiful weekend in Texas! Time to go dig in the garden.

Blessings and Cheers!

Tholland congrats on your pending surgery , I will get my surgery date next Wednesday and I am praying that I get a quick approval like you as well, I was informed by my insurance company that there turn around is 48 hours so here is keeping my toes as well as fingers cross, I look forward to reading your progress.

Hi! I have Aetna as well and just had my surgery on Monday, make sure you do not gain any weight! Aetna has a new policy about weight gain that my doctor wasn't aware of

Jessroto, that is interesting! I have not heard anything about that. Do you mean before the surgery, or after? I will have to ask my patient advocate about that.

Cupcake, what did you find out about your surgery date and approval? I hope it has gone in your favor!!

Tholland hi I still do not have my surgery date Wednessday when I went it was all for medical clearance , then I was told I would have to come back again for a 4 hour meeting to fill out the last finalization paperwork, meet with the surgeon again, get weighed in and I am awaiting for them to contact me again for the last appointment , and then I get a surgery date. I was so bumm.

Cupcake, you are one step closer!!! I know the waiting is frustrating, and a lot of the time we all feel like we have to "play the game" in order to get our surgeries approved. At least the ball is rolling, and hopefully nothing gets in your way!

An update for my progress is that my gallbladder is NOT an issue! Thank goodness! My surgeon was going to have to remove that in a separate procedure, but my scans all show things are normal for now. He did tell me that many times with great weight loss that patients will begin to have problems with their gall bladder, so we are just keeping an eye on it for now. So, I am about one week from my surgery, and in two weeks I have a strict diet to begin following. I think I might start it 3 weeks ahead of surgery just to give myself a little boost! This coming week is spring break for us, so I'm going to enjoy myself! Not go crazy, but just enjoy my last week without restrictions.

Before surgery, it's a new thing they started in August... My doctor was shocked as well

See if they will take your gallbladder out at the same time...most people I know had to get it removed 3 months out from their surgery

I really hope he just decides to take it out! I think he is going with the mantra that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but knowing that so many people end up with problems, I just really wish it could just come out while he is in there. Since he is removing my band and doing bypass, I'm guessing he doesn't want to do something else just on the off chance it could cause problems later. Oh well, we will see! When I had my band put in, I woke up and found out that he had to do a hiatal hernia repair also, and those can come back.

So, tomorrow is my last day of "mindless" eating. Not meaning I have been going nuts, but certainly not worrying too much about what I eat or drink. I'm only required to do a 2 week diet, but I am going to start a week earlier. I won't be extremely ridgid, but knowing me, I need all the time i can get to prepare my body and mind for the changes coming up. I want to work on getting rid of carbs next week and focusing on healthy Proteins while also helping my family get used to the changes coming up. I'm thinking the grill will be my friend! At least for awhile. I have had some really good talks with my husband about my surgery coming up, and it just feels so good to have so much support and love. We are holding off telling our two teenagers until about 3 or 4 days before surgery, only because they would both worry incessantly until my date. Nobody needs that!! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week full of success and healthy habits! We are off to a friend's house for barbecued shrimp and pork tenderloin. Oh, what the heck, and probably some really good wine!

Started my 3 week pre-op diet on Monday, and it is going great so far. It is not as painful as I thought, and I think knowing that there is an end in sight to my life of being overweight makes it not too difficult to put up with. I got on the scale Monday morning and was a little shocked, but also relieved that I will NEVER weigh that much again! What a great feeling it was!! I also realized my surgery ticker now has a 2 in front instead of a 3, and that makes me super happy!

I also found a Protein shake called Oh Yeah!, which is a really strange name, but they are really good. Pre-made, several flavors, and 32 grams Protein, 4 g carbs. They were on sale at my HEB, and I am going to buy several more to have on hand. Ordered my Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage yesterday. Things are starting to fall into place!!

Well, my first victory is that by starting my mandatory diet one week early, I am already 6 pounds down!! Yesterday was my first day of the actual diet and I'm already an old pro, caffeine headaches gone (although they really weren't bad) and I have found that I can cure a really bad carb craving with a sugarfree Jello or hot cocoa mix. Sometimes it takes two jellos, but as least it seems to do the trick. I have learned that if I try to have the Protein shakes for an actual meal, they do not do much to curb my hunger. They do help in between meals, or if I am due to have dinner in an hour and am just really hungry, but the effect doesn't last too long.

Had a call from the hospital today for my interview. Basic health questions and pre-op instructions. The guy said that I will most likely be called in for an appointment to meet the bariatric nurse at the hospital, so I am looking forward to that. I also have a nurse through Aetna that has called several times checking on me and making herself available for questions. I have a feeling she might become a nuisance after surgery!

Overall I feel good and have a positive outlook on things! My Vitamins came in the mail yesterday, and my next project is to seek out Protein powders and stock up on essentials for after surgery. 13 days and counting!!! Blessings to everyone!

I'm excited for you, THolland! Congratulations!

Thank you Kookichu! With one week to go I'm not quite sure what to do with myself!! Going to try to stay super busy and get some of the "heavy" chores done so I don't have to stress about them next week. You look like you are rocking the weight loss!! Congratulations! I hope to have those great of numbers very soon.

I had similar nervous energy. After surgery, you will gradually lose the nervous part, then it should be pure energy!

I will be sending you positive mental thoughts all week.

As for me rockin' the weight loss...yeehaw! Thank you.

I wish I had taken measurements pre surgery just to placate my curiosity. Apparently (lol), plateaus are a part of this process and I am, unfortunately, on one... but the changes in clothes, energy, seatbelts etc. is mindblowingly excellent and carry me through the slow moving scale days.

This is your time! And you are gonna rock it, too!!