Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any opinions about Paraguard?

This seems like the best IUD option for me ATM, just wondering what the sleeve community thinks about the device in general. Thanks everyone!!!

I am am OB nurse and I also have the Mirena. I will preface this by saying that you need to do what is best for you and this is just my opinion. Anyway, most of the women that I have seen that have the Paragard experience very heavy periods. However, if this is not a deterrent for you or you don't tolerate hormones, it may be a good option for you. Another plus is that it is good for 10 years but most can't get past the bleeding.

I'm a former OB nurse and I had a Mirena inserted in the early 2000s without a problem. I loved it. Then when I had it replaced after my son was born I had one issue after another. It worked better for me when I was in my twenties than in my thirties. I had recurrent UTIs and other side effects. It just wasn't worth it anymore. My situation might be different. I did not and do not use oral bcps.... So my body wasn't used to the changes anymore. I got tired of the changes and just opted to use condoms. If we were to have a slip-up, I would just buy Plan B over-the-counter.

Best wishes to you!

I have had a Mirena since after my son was born in 2002 and I love it! I am one of the lucky folks who doesn't get a period at all and no side effects. I have been a Mirena evangelist ever since. :)

My friend Laura was told by her doctor that she couldn't get Mirena because of the hormones it releases, so she got a Paragard instead. She was plagued with heavy periods before it was inserted and afterwards they became even heavier and lasted longer. It bothered her so much that she had it removed after about 6 months and she and her husband went back to their previous BC method.

I might be a little late to this, but I had paraguard, and while I was told it was 99% effective from the second I had it in....I became pregnant the first month I had it. So...I am not a fan. The idea of it is great, but because it is hormone free, you don't stop ovulating, it is only supposed to stop a fertilized egg from implanting. And with me, it did not work that way.

This is my second Paraguard. I had the first one put in after my second and last child was born 20 years ago, got it replaced at the 9 plus year mark. Any problems i ever had were due to hormones from being overweight. I loved and trusted my Gyn until he put the replacement IUD in while the first one was still in there! When i asked him about the first one he had a shocked look on his face since we had been talking he must have not realized anyway took both out and put the third one in. All done but now I only see his son in the same practice they really are gentle angels but Dad started to slip so I did not want to take the risk off a perforated uterus. Overall I recommend it My friend got it (she has FIVE kids) and it works for her too

Thanks for the input ladies! I am not too worried about the heavy periods, I'm tired of crazy hormones, and since I'll be losing the weight I anticipate my PCOS going away so it'll be nice to just have some semblance of normal. I'm just excited to not have to take a pill everyday. My only real concern at this point is pain during and after insretion and intercourse since I have never had a baby. We shall see, I'll give an update. I should be getting it sometime next week.

I have one other Quest (Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread)

When people talk about over eating or abusing, are they talking about people trying to eat like they did pre op, or are we talking about that 1 or 2 bites too many as you're (as I'm) getting used to this new tummy??

Fyi i did forget that my first IUD i had put in at a clinic for free and the practioner was an old man and had a lot of cramping. That is why the next time i paid $475 to have my doc who i teusted do it and ha ha he was able to putnin two with no pain at all! So make sure it someone you trust and may have seen before

I've had my paragard in for about 2 months now and haven't had any issues. The only part that was uncomfortable was when they measured my uterus before putting the iud in. I also have pcos and that is why I chose paragard. My first period was longer, but I think that has more to do with getting sleeved. I started 2 days after surgery (which was a couple days early for me) and it lasted for like a week and a half. The first few days I could tell there was something in there, lol. Like that heavy feeling before you start your period, but I don't notice it at all now and haven't had any pain during intercourse.

UPDATE:

Got my paraguard the first week of April. I had to go in twice, the first attempt caused a lot of pain, to the point of sobbing, so my doc stopped. I was given a drug to soften my cervix for the next time and they numbed me. The pills and numbing worked wonders! only a little cramping at inserstion. No complaints yet. This period has lasted a week, but that really isn't a big deal when compared to 9 years of protection. Thanks for all of your input, it was helpful!

I had a paragard for 3 months. It slipped too low. After a lot of bleeding& pain, I got it out. My midwife didn't believe the bleeding was from poor positioning even tho the strings were much llonger every month, I've never had unprotected sex& made me pay for an std panel. All clear. I'm concerned about uterine scarring. The insertion was fine. I had the cervix softening med, but after that I had contraction like pain, bled 10 days the 1st month, 14 days the 2nd, & all of January. No time for sex & was really inconvenient. My normal periods were 4 days. I'm starting the minipill& praying for no weight gain or negative effects.