Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than a week to go.

It's now Saturday, about 5 days postop. How are you doing now?

I hope your pain is better and you are on the mend. I just wanted to send my best wishes for your speedy recovery. I can't imagine how it must be to be postop, as I'm still nervously waiting preop.

D day was Monday. I have had quite a rough time of it since then. I have been in a lot of pain and have been really struggling getting fluids down. I started running a temperature yesterday so just hoping it was a down day and not the start of an infection. I am shattered, sore and really want to get home, I am so sick of hospital now. They say rest but everytime I try to sleep someone comes over to do obs or some machine starts bleeping. Yes its fair to say I am feeling sorry for myself today lol. I never expected to be in so much pain. I have had abdominal surgery before and sailed through that so expected to do the same with this as I have a high pain threshold (usually). I have a lot of trapped gas which is causing a bit of discomfort too.

Hi guys, thanks for asking how I am doing, it really is appreciated. Yesterday I felt like I had really turned a corner and felt so much better, today I am back to being really uncomfortable and have horrid acid reflux, something I never suffered from previously. I have limited mobility but have been walking as much as I possibly can which has helped with the wind a bit.
I know long term the sleeve will be worth it but I have thought "what the hell have I done to myself several times this week".

Willow, you keep up that good work. Lots of people that have had bariatric surgery say "what have I DONE!!!!!!" But they get over it, and work through it. I'm so pleased for you. It sounds as though you're making real progress.

Remember the feeling before your surgery, when others had just been sleeved? Excitement doesn't cover it. Yeah, I'm excited for you, and a bit for me, for when my turn comes.

You keep at it, don't doubt yourself too much........

Best wishes

Hi Lucky, I think the doubt is part and parcel of the whole thing. I know the sleeve will end up being one of the best decisions I have made but when your in pain and feeling crap it does creep into it. I think I was unprepared for how much pain I would actually be in. My surgeon has said that due to my allergies he couldnt pump me full of the usual pain killers during the operation so from the minute I came round I was in real pain, if I was still I was saying my pain was a 3 on a scale from 0-10 (10 being the worse ever) but the minute I moved I soon changed that to a 8-9, I actually thought they had left something inside me at one stage because it felt like something was ripping and tearing inside me. Previous surgery I have always sailed through and never complained about pain and I assumed that this would be the same.......I think that was where part of my doubting came from.
I am still suffering from reflux which is annoying the living daylights out of me but I feel so much better today and for the first time since getting home from hospital I actually want to go out.
My first week was rotten there is no denying that but I know its a small blip on what will be a long road ahead of me and thing are going to continue to improve.
I really hope you get your date really soon Lucky and that you dont have as rough a first week as I have had.

Oh and one last thing, I am absolutely gutted about...............I used to love my cup of tea first thing in the morning, now I can't stand the taste of tea, it tastes vile. I really hope that changes as I dont like coffee and never have, I hate even the smell of that stuff lol.

Ahh Willow, I feel so sorry for you, I really do. Although I'm glad that you're sharing it. So many people skirt around the down side, but it's important that we hear and understand the whole picture. But, saying that I still do feel for you.

Yeah, you're right about regretting it. A small blip. My daughter reminded me that she felt the same with her pain, she couldn't have much in the way of pain killers either. Then she got to about three months and the feelings came back, but soon went. She hasn't looked back.

Feeling that you want to go out is great, a big step forward, must be scary in the beginning, all the firsts. As for the reflux, hope that sorts itself out soon, what a horrible feeling, yuk.

Got my hospital dieticians appointment (2nd in the hospital) today, so let's see what goes on there. Thanks for your support and good luck to you. I feel if you are good at dealing with pain you'll overcome mostly everything in your path. Ps tell your husband it's sooo naughty to cook toast ;)

lol, I have told him he is not to cook toast :D Thanks for your support Lucky. :)
I went out to the shops yesterday to pick up exciting foods like Soup ..........I jest lol. But had a lovely day out in the sunshine even if it was still a little cold then last night had to phone the emergency doctors. :( I bent slightly over to remove my shoes and felt a strange pain and thought ok I have just bent too far, sat up and there was no pain so thought ok I definitely just pushed a little to far on what I can do at this stage. Stood up and went to smooth my top back down and felt something wet, lifted my top to find it was soaked but with hit being black I couldnt tell what, then realised my trousers were wet too. I pushed them down a bit to find the largest of the wounds was running with puss. It was literally running through the dressing, I used almost half a roll of kitchen paper trying to mop it up before the doctor got to the house. I have an infection in the wound so I am on strong antibiotics now and hopefully they will help. I had my dressings changed on monday morning and although that one still looked a little angry it didnt look anything at all like it was that infected. I ended up in tears which worried my poor hubby because I usually take things like that in my stride and deal with it.
Today I have been back down to the drs so they could check the wound and change the dressings again and they are happy enough for it to be left now for 3 days before I go back down. I decided that I am not going to let this blip get me down I still feel so much better than I had been so what was the point in letting it get to me. :) Tomorrow I am planning another day out :)

OMG Willow, what a terrible scare that episode must have given you. Please do be careful and watch that incision very carefully. You do not want that infection to get any worse. Take it easy and let things heal up. No sense in rushing it. Will be sending you healing vibes across the pond.

Thanks 1day, the largest of the wounds always did look a bit angry right from the day after surgery when I got my first dressing change, I had been to the nurse to get the dressings changed on the monday morning so never thought for a minute anything was wrong as it definitely had not looked any worse and did seem to be calming, the drs have said the infection must have been under the surface and thats why it never looked bad. I will be keeping an extra vigilant eye on it from now though and I am on a strong course of antibiotics which will hopefully clear it quickly.
How are you doing after your surgery?

lol, I have told him he is not to cook toast :D Thanks for your support Lucky. :) I went out to the shops yesterday to pick up exciting foods like Soup ..........I jest lol. But had a lovely day out in the sunshine even if it was still a little cold then last night had to phone the emergency doctors. :( I bent slightly over to remove my shoes and felt a strange pain and thought ok I have just bent too far, sat up and there was no pain so thought ok I definitely just pushed a little to far on what I can do at this stage. Stood up and went to smooth my top back down and felt something wet, lifted my top to find it was soaked but with hit being black I couldnt tell what, then realised my trousers were wet too. I pushed them down a bit to find the largest of the wounds was running with puss. It was literally running through the dressing, I used almost half a roll of kitchen paper trying to mop it up before the doctor got to the house. I have an infection in the wound so I am on strong antibiotics now and hopefully they will help. I had my dressings changed on monday morning and although that one still looked a little angry it didnt look anything at all like it was that infected. I ended up in tears which worried my poor hubby because I usually take things like that in my stride and deal with it. Today I have been back down to the drs so they could check the wound and change the dressings again and they are happy enough for it to be left now for 3 days before I go back down. I decided that I am not going to let this blip get me down I still feel so much better than I had been so what was the point in letting it get to me. :) Tomorrow I am planning another day out :)

Ohh willow. Well, hope the soup was well worth it ????. What a frightening thing to happen. You're so brave.... At least the doctors surgery are involved now. They can be great with dressings and assessing the healing process. I'm so pleased that you're enjoying going out, and the weather is so lovely at the moment, especially after all that rain and wind. Even if you're the bravest person in the whole world, it's fine when when you get upset, you've been through so much. Only you know how much. I think it takes real strength to go through this procedure. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Edited by luckyknickers57

The people who think its an easy option are seriously deluding themselves. It is a rollercoaster ride for your emotions and does take strength right from the start. Little blips are sent to try us but after all the healing is done and the pain has subsided the end result will be worth it every time.
Thank you Lucky, your friendship and support means a great deal.

WILLOWWWWWWW you are so welcome, yeah, what was that saying my nan used to say, about walking in someone's shoes?? If they haven't got it, they don't get it do they? And, I'm not wasting any more time, getting upset, listening to a load of rubbish.

So, I don't know if I'm having a bypass, or sleeve now, don't know when it will be either.... Apparently the department have applied for extra funding, so they may run another list, or of course they may not.... Have to wait and see.

Willow, you are sooo right, it's all about the results. And can I say congratulations, you are a third of the way through your weight loss. Well done and keep it up. Enjoy your walks and I'm sending you positive energy and thoughts.

Most of my paperwork had bypass marked on it as well, I think they just use the same papers for a lot of it as the sleeves from what I gather are relatively new on the NHS lists.

Most of my paperwork had bypass marked on it as well, I think they just use the same papers for a lot of it as the sleeves from what I gather are relatively new on the NHS lists.

Oh, ok luv. So I really don't know what's going on then. I'm just going to go with the flow then. What will be will be, hey? That way I can't get myself all stressed trying to second guess what's going on.

Oh, ok luv. So I really don't know what's going on then. I'm just going to go with the flow then. What will be will be, hey? That way I can't get myself all stressed trying to second guess what's going on.

Hey willow,

How's it going? Infection better?

Hi Lucky, the infection is undercontrol and the wound is looking so much better. I am still tender but doing so much better. I am still really bloated so its hard to tell if I have actually lost any weight this week, I will get weighed later and see what has happened. I see the dietician on wednesday so will talk to her as I am getting seriously sick of Soups and such like. I think the only thing I am enjoying is ready brek lol and I am still supposed to be on this for another couple of weeks before starting to eat soft foods. I have cheated today and had a tiny bit of ham which tasted gorgeous and has not upset my stomach thankfully.

When is your next appointment Lucky? Have you had any more thoughts on your tattoo?

Oh and another UP today was I finally got a cup of tea into me and it tasted lovely, its the first one I have tried since the op that didnt taste like it was mixed with sawdust and undrinkable lol.

Edited by willow13