Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Ban The Band" campaign - stop unecessary deaths & harm

What does anyone think about a '"Ban The Band" campaign? Would anyone start this? @lapnicky mentioned it on another thread

Purpose of the campaign:

- 1) get the band withdrawn from the market to prevent other people being harmed unnecessarily

- 2) get compensation paid to people who've been harmed by the band (so they can pay for necessary treatment to have it removed and treatment if any other harms that have happened to them)

Read this :

http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca/why-is-adjustable-gastric-band-surgery-no-longer-offered/

Weight loss surgery centre in Canada say:

"We no longer offer adjustable gastric banding as a bariatric surgery option because we see too many patients referred to us from all over Canada, in addition to those in our own practice, in whom the gastric band failed to achieve the desired results or produced life threatening complications 5-10 years after the surgery."

My surgeon's office no longer offers this surgery due to patients complications. Having said that, the medical community as a whole is going to do it as long as patients request it, as it is a big money maker for them. Some patients love their band and have been successful with it. I would never join a ban the band campaign but I will continue to sing the praises of the Gastric Sleeve.

Where do I sign up??

As much as I despise the lapband, I wouldn't join something like this. I think that if anybody does their research they will discover the surgery that is the best fit for them.

An aquaintance of mine is sitting on the edge of death in a medically induced coma following gastric bypass a week ago. Does that mean it should be banned? I don't think so - I think it is the right choice for many although i cannot fathom how things went so terribly wrong for her.

I can't decide I this is something I would support..although I do find it off putting that there are surgeons that are still offering the band knowing their failure rate... It's essentially lying. If someone were to ask me about getting the band I would tell ten to run away screaming. All WLS have complications and while we can predict who may be higher risk than others for developing these complications, it's the risk you take.

I'd join. Where do we sign up. If anyone starts a class action suite against the Lapband I hope it gets posted here so we can all join!!!! I had my band put in in 2007 and had little success with it. Lost only 30 pounds. In 2013 started having really bad chest pains. Started taking acid reflux meds and had a EGD test done and discovered my band was too tight and had food blocked in it for months and my esophagitis. Esophgus was enlarged and dilated.. had my band removed on March 11 2014 and sleeved in the same surgery.. Best decision I've ever made. Have lost 18 pounds already. Im ready for a class action suite against the Lap Band..maybe we can all get some money out of it for failing us all

I thank God for this forum, why?

1. I have gained so much knowledge from other's personal experiences, whether good or bad.

2. I feel like I am part of a great support group that has followers from across the nation and world.

3. I am always encouraged to see something like this (the article) that makes my decision to become sleeved easier.

I blamed myself for not enough of what ever my former surgeon said to do. I followed the plan, worked out in the gym, cut out carbs, and the thought of having another weight loss surgery had me mixing in a bowl of guilt. But I am not feeling guilty any longer because I know that I wasn't the only one who felt let down by the lapband.

So thank you for this information!! :)

I would say yes to this. I am one of the ones effected by this. But its not all the bands fault either, some of it is the people doing the fills. I think the major issue with this surgery is the adjustments.

How does one know if they wont have long term problems later on in years due to the gastric sleeve? that a fear of mine. i mean, when I was banded i really felt it was a safe option. Little did i know i and so many people would have terrible experiences down the road. Is it possible for the same thing to happen with the sleeve or no?

I agree it should be withdrawn from wide spread use. For some it's a good short term tool for weight loss, but for most there are better long term solutions.

There are too many variables...surgical skill, post op food plans, interval for fills and regular check ups and patient compliance. In my case, my surgeon placed my band too high, on my esophagus, not my stomach. Now I have a severely dilated esophagus and I'm not able to revise...I'd love to sue, but they have you sign so many disclaimers...

I feel that a ban the band campaign is a good idea but I doubt it will help. We have morons like Dr. Oz having band surgeons on his show saying anyone who needs to lose 30 pounds should have lapband surgery.

I am disappointed in the band. But I know from my own experience that you have to let people inform themselves and make their own opinions. I thought the band would save my life. Boy was I wrong. BUT I made the decision myself. The surgeon who placed my band 5 years ago didn't tell me about the sleeve. So I didn't realize what it was. But I also liked what I'm sure we all liked about the band. Safe and reversible. Here I am 5 years later and had the sleeve done two months ago. While I am not happy with the band and am loving my new life with the sleeve, I had to take the journey I did to get to where I am. You could have never talked me into the sleeve 5 years ago. And one year ago my new surgeon couldn't talk me into the sleeve when he removed my band.

Also I feel that the main issue isn't with the consumer so much as it is with the surgeons who continue to push the band and the FDA who keeps it on the market.

Hopefully the FDA and old school surgeons will see the light. Maybe a ban the band campaign is what they need

How does one know if they wont have long term problems later on in years due to the gastric sleeve? that a fear of mine. i mean, when I was banded i really felt it was a safe option. Little did i know i and so many people would have terrible experiences down the road. Is it possible for the same thing to happen with the sleeve or no?

my doctor told me the other day this surgery has been around for 100 years... They have been using it in people with bleeding ulcers and cancer for many years and realized it would work To lose weight

wow sorry to hear. but will the esophagus every go back to normal? how long has your band been out ?

I agree it should be withdrawn from wide spread use. For some it's a good short term tool for weight loss, but for most there are better long term solutions.
There are too many variables...surgical skill, post op food plans, interval for fills and regular check ups and patient compliance. In my case, my surgeon placed my band too high, on my esophagus, not my stomach. Now I have a severely dilated esophagus and I'm not able to revise...I'd love to sue, but they have you sign so many disclaimers...

Hi, I really agree with everything you said because it sounds just like my story. I too went through a lot with my band and I had it removed 5 years ago. when it was removed my dr did mention the only other option at this point would be to convert to a sleeve. he explained it to me and I was like No Way!. i was about 20 lbs from my goal weight and I just felt that was too drastic to do considering the weight I was at that time. I told him maybe one day if I cant keep the weight off. Well, here I am 5 years later and Im really considering doing the sleeve, if i can move past the fear I have. I know you were sleeved 2 months ago. Im curious what your dr said about any scar tissue you might have? were you more concerned with leaks?

I feel that a ban the band campaign is a good idea but I doubt it will help. We have morons like Dr. Oz having band surgeons on his show saying anyone who needs to lose 30 pounds should have lapband surgery.

I am disappointed in the band. But I know from my own experience that you have to let people inform themselves and make their own opinions. I thought the band would save my life. Boy was I wrong. BUT I made the decision myself. The surgeon who placed my band 5 years ago didn't tell me about the sleeve. So I didn't realize what it was. But I also liked what I'm sure we all liked about the band. Safe and reversible. Here I am 5 years later and had the sleeve done two months ago. While I am not happy with the band and am loving my new life with the sleeve, I had to take the journey I did to get to where I am. You could have never talked me into the sleeve 5 years ago. And one year ago my new surgeon couldn't talk me into the sleeve when he removed my band.

Also I feel that the main issue isn't with the consumer so much as it is with the surgeons who continue to push the band and the FDA who keeps it on the market.

Hopefully the FDA and old school surgeons will see the light. Maybe a ban the band campaign is what they need

@@girliegirl my removal surgeon said that 3-4 months post removal is the limit on esophageal healing. It's limited though because once stretched, it never goes back to its prior status. I have folds where food and even medications can get caught. I still cannot take ibuprofen in pill form because of the chance it could get caught and ulcerate the esophagus. The only way I'd put myself thru the ordeal of manometry testing would be to have a sleeve done.