Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 pre-op group

Ok so I'm doing preop i know I'm on Bariatric Advantage shakes an Clear Liquids I made homemade chicken broth fat free. Are we allowed a little salt and pepper or crushed pepper to season?? I'll call my NUT tomorrow but was wondering what everyone was doing???

When I was still in the hospital. I noticed the chicken brooth they were giving me was thinker and have more seasoning etc then mine did at home. I asked about it and they said it was fine since when eating the Soup is done extremely slow- things should get too stuck. Hope this helps!

Hi Everybody!

My surgery is tomorrow on April 14th. I was going to get the sleeve but due to GERD me and my doctor decided that the bypass is a better choice for me.

I am not nervous as of yet. I just wanna be over and done with this! I did not have any pre-op diet, so I guess it did not sink in yet! lol By the way I am European, and my surgery is going to be in Hungary.

Is there anybody else on the 14th?

Honestly I really educated myself on sleeve and not on bypass, so I still have lots of catching up to do as far as post-op diet goes...

Good luck with everything. I'm having the bypass on the 21st. I week from tomorrow! I guess post op is kinda similar except for, in the long run, you'll still have to monitor your sugar. I don't think there's dumping with the sleeve.

My surgery is April15. I too went into this process thinking sleeve, but my doctor changed my mind also due to GERD. Hope you have a safe surgery and a speedy recovery!

Good Morning ALL! Took the first pre- op shower yesterday, and have taken the second one this morning. Clear liquids only all day. The hospital is supposed to call today and give me the time I have to be there, but I think that I saw 11:00 on a paper somewhere in the doctors office. I am working today and I hope my stomach does not growl too much :) The hardest thing for me during my pre op diet is still cooking for my family and not being able to eat. Ughhh, that was rough, but also a view of the next few weeks. I am looking forward to not being hungry at some point. Some days were better than others where the hunger was concerned, but drinking something does normally help.

Good luck with everything. I can't believe you're going to work. I'm glad mine is at 0730. I would have probably gone to work too.

My surgery is April15. I too went into this process thinking sleeve, but my doctor changed my mind also due to GERD. Hope you have a safe surgery and a speedy recovery!

How did you find out you had GERD?

Psychologically, this two week pre-op liquid diet is making me bonkers. I know I'm not hungry, but the thought of not really "eating" is driving me bananas! Sheesh

I started my pre op today. All Protein Shakes til Sat. Sun clear liquids then surgery Monday. Any tips thru this? Lol

Wicked Beauty I am with you. I drank a shake and I am full but u still want to chew

I am so sorry about your mri experience. I schedule MRIs and my hospital has special MRI scanners for different sizes.

I'm scheduled for surgery April 17th and recently had my EGD done at the hospital where my surgery will be performed. As I was being hooked up to the heart monitors and the IVs and everything else they had going on I started to panic and question myself if I was making the right decision. I started to freak out about...If this was any indication of what I would be going thru the day of surgery I was scared sh**less...all I could think about was what if I didn't make it? What would happen to my little girl...that was until I heard the anesthesiologist tell the nurses that I was "rather large" and she was going to stick around. Quickly snapped me back into why I was doing this in the first place. My doc requires a 1 week pre-op diet but I'm going to give it two. The more weight I lose before the better =)

Funny that you say you heard them talk about how large you are and it snapped you back! That is what happened to me this past week. The closer I get to the 15th the more I panic, well I went in for a MRI and the nurse had to take me aside and tell me I was too large in my stomach to do the machine. Which really put things I to perspective. I have to go through with this! Still pisses me off that my dr did not do the open MRI considering my weight. And now we have to go back through the trouble of rescheduling somewhere else. All I can do is remind myself this time next year I won't have these problems. Good luck on your surgery

You are getting so close lady!!! :)

I started my pre op today. All Protein Shakes til Sat. Sun clear liquids then surgery Monday. Any tips thru this? Lol

Wicked Beauty I am with you. I drank a shake and I am full but u still want to chew

Cutiepieinchi - yes time is coming up fast. U almost have to psych yourself up to make it thru pre op. On my 2nd Protein Shake. Lol. I do have a piece if fruit and a Protein Soup for tonight

I'm glad I did not have to go to work today. I'm working at home and feel like I should just move my laptop into the bathroom. Day 3 of liquid diet and it's sure clearing out the plumbing that's for sure. UGH! I thought day 1 was really rough but I was out and about and did not drink or "eat" on a regular basis. Day 2 was fine and Day 3 I'm not hungry at all which I attribute to the mess on my desk. Travel mug of tea, travel mug of broth, bottle of ginger ale and a cup of apple juice. If my stomach even thinks about making a noise, I have something in arms reach.

As of right now, my check in time is 1pm. Kinda sucks because I still have the same "nothing after midnight" rule that the early surgeries have. I am hoping to teach my 8-9:15am class. I guess I will shower twice since there is no way I'm going to class with no products on.

girl! you and me both ! omg i cheated on saturday but i am on track now , i cant wait till 4/23 ughhh this pre op diet is no joke

Psychologically, this two week pre-op liquid diet is making me bonkers. I know I'm not hungry, but the thought of not really "eating" is driving me bananas! Sheesh

Hi - thanks for sharing - I am having the same issue but trying to focus on is it pain or gas or just healing. I have the same discomfort in my chest. It does pass but it keeps me from sleeping any length of time. I seem to be tolerating the liquids but then I get these waves of pain. Seeing that you are having the same issues, makes me think it's normal. I am taking the pain med too. We just had major surgery and it's only been a few days. Wishing you the best.

Yes very true, we are def healing. How did u do over the weekend? I seem to be doing great. Ready for the next stage of foods tho... Getting tired of the broth, Jello, juices, & Popsicles lol.... I haven't really used my pain meds in the last day & a half. Feeling a lot better now :)

Does yogurt count on your full liquids?

My dr told me that I can't have yogurt until I go to my post op appt (I believe it's in the pureed stage) but double check with ur dr to make sure. I know so many drs do everything differently