Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Survey - Carbonated Drinks? Do u drink them?

No soda at all. No beer. I have had a small glass of champagne twice, which takes an hour to get down. Carbonation is very unpleasant now. No desire to drink it.

Used to adore sparkling waters, beer, diet coke.

None since 2006 other than some champagne during the holidays. I had a couple of glasses of champagne after being sleeved and it didn't bother me.

Not a drop.

2 mos out today. I'm afraid the carbonation will make me feel hungry Like it used to

I have and I will the odd time if I fancy one or I am out boozing, which isn’t often lol

I was a massive cherry coke junkie but because I was terrified of getting diabetes I would drink a lot of zero I drank at least 2liters of coke a day pre op we also didn’t have zero cherry then either.

My taste for it has changed I find it sweet, I never liked diet coke because it was so sweet to me now zero is the same fake super sweet so not as ahhh that’s the stuff like it was before.

I was told by one of my doctors seriously to stretch my sleeve by drinking carbonated drinks all day every day day after day for months and I would stretch it out.

Long story short I have a small sleeve it was his way of telling me how I can make it bigger and have more room.

1 soda wont stretch you out 1 a week wont even do it you have to keep on doing it constantly over a period of time to have the gas stretch you out.

They just dont want us to for that reason AND soda is a major cause of weight gain even diet when people just cut soda out of there diet and nothing else they drop a lot of weight its crazy.

I think I first tired a cherry coke about 2 months out didn’t have more than about 4 mouthfuls in total before I was over it but yeah off and on since no addiction to it for me, had it in a mixer on 27th of dec and didn’t drink much of it none in jan not even half a glass at a baby shower 2nd of feb, had a full can of zero cherry coke today so you can see for me I do but not much.

I gave up the soda a month prior to surgery. I used to drink it all the time, but have to say I felt better after a couple weeks of not drinking it. After hearing all the warnings about carbonation and any kind of WLS, I just avoid it all together. I decided my health was more important to me than some of the foods and drinks I previously enjoyed. On a similar note, I haven't had a philly cheesesteak since surgery either. Definitely miss those more than the soda LOL.

We had to attend a "Success Habits" (based on the book by Colleen Cook) workshop prior to surgery... in that seminar, Anisa put a balloon over a carbonated beverage bottle...it blew up just from the carbonation (i don't think she even shook it)!!!! She said the last time she did this, she kept it on her desk to see how long the balloon lasted...it was 3 days before it started to deflate...THREE DAYS!!! So, NO to carbonation...now and forever... even my husband quit it, and feels better as a result.

Try it yourself... be "Mr(s). Science" and see what happens, and translate that to your tummy

S T R E T C H!! :(

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Nah...I got off them at surgery and haven't had any. I was ADDICTED to them as well...but I'm not risking stretching this tummy that cost me a small fortune!! lol

My name is Amy and I am a diet pepsi--aholic. I gave it up finally about a year before I had my sleeve surgery, and switched to seltzer. I still miss the carbonation, and occasionally have dreams of diet pepsi. I once even dreamed I was on a beach drinking it with Brad Pitt! But I know it is really bad for me and makes me crave the salty crunchy snack food that got me to an obese BMI. Brad Pitt may be bad for me too, but I am willing to give him a try! (Don't tell Angelina-- the chick scares me.)

Nothing carbonated since spring of 2010, a couple of months prior to surgery.

I am not a diet soda fan, but I LOVED sparkling mineral Water and sometimes I really miss it. :(

Wow thanks everyone! I too was a diet Pepsi addict. Haven't had any since 1/2/14. Still think about it all the time and want a sip when I see it. Thanks to reading all these threads I will NOT ever touch it! BUT I will still miss it along with the occasional beer! It is ALL worth it in order to reach my lifetime goal!!!!

My apologies, looking back at my post I came off rude. I guess it has to do with my thinking of the whole process. When I decided to go the surgery route, I made the decision I was going to completely let go of all the bad habits that got me to where I was. Throughout the process, between the seminars and other group settings so many people are so worried about what they wont be able to eat or drink anymore. I made the decision I was not going to do that. My focus was going to be on where I wanted to go, not where I came from or what I was leaving behind. With that said, everyone is different. And while my way of thinking may be good to some, it may not be good for others. So once again, my apologies for coming off rudely.

I'm with you. I totally told myself certain things would forever be forbidden although I know they are not. But I do not want to slide back into drinking real non diet cokes which I know put a lit of weight on me.

No soda for me, and I don't drink coffee or tea, it's been Water only since October last year.

Now that's discipline!

Over 2 and half years post-sleeve here.

I will occasionally have a sip or two of a soda, but the carbonation is just something I really don't want to learn to tolerate. Know what I mean?

But I would suggest you try to reflect on why you want one. For some people, sodas can begin a slippery slope of consumption merely for the sake of consumption. This is something I have to do regarding everything I put in my mouth. Am I really hungry or am I feeding something else? Is it a craving? Am I repeating old behaviors which always ended up with me abusing food? Why did I get sleeved in the first place?

FYI.. I didn't abuse diet soda prior to my surgery. I would have one or two a week and enjoy it. I was just curious what the census was and how many veterans drink it once in a while.

FYI.. I didn't abuse diet soda prior to my surgery. I would have one or two a week and enjoy it. I was just curious what the census was and how many veterans drink it once in a while.

I think if you re-read my questions, I am trying to look at the bigger picture. Not just the soda aspect, but everything I put in my mouth. I can't say I abused soda pre-sleeve either. Nor did I abuse any one particular food. It was the culmination of overall habits and overall general abuse of food which led me to being obese.

This is my experience and certainly yours may be different.