Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you know Your Protein Drinks Can be Covered By Your Insurance?

hmmm...no blue link...lets try again for you @piercedqt78 @@Insure Nutrition they are on here as members...

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I've been waiting, too. I went to a support group yesterday and I mentioned the program. I hope I don't regret that. If the answer is "no", just tell me. Don't keep saying that I will hear something in a couple of days.

Everything was sent to my Dr and the nurse from my Dr's office messaged me back saying that I can buy these things over the counter and that the Dr doesn't sign scripts like this??!!

So I emailed her back saying I want to speak to him personally about this and I don't understand why when it's of no cost to him. I'm a full time u employed student so if I can get this paid for by my insurance why not? !

Anyone else run into this problem? ? I don't understand what the big deal is. ..maybe im missing something?

Thanks I will have to call tomorrow !

ok, so I got a callback today about my stuff. I was approved for the scar cream, and Protein shakes but not the Vitamins. I was told by the gentleman that called me that they might send me Vitamin samples, but he wasn't sure. I was told when I called in the beginning that they waved any co-pays, then today I get the call about my stuff being shipped and that I was approved and provided a tracking number, then just before I hang up he says, "while I have you on the phone do you want to take care of the $45 co-pay? The stuff has already shipped, I told him I would wait for the invoice and mail them a money order or check. Sorry but I'm not giving a credit card to a company that I have never done business with, call me paranoid. I then called my prescription drug plan member service line, and was told the scar cream was billed at almost $5,000. That seems insanely high, but it was covered. I was a little disappointed that I can't get even the one month trial of the liquid vitamins, I asked if I could pay out of pocket for them, and was told "they are very expensive, and if Insurance doesn't cover them they are not really a good deal. He refused to even quote me a price. He did however tell me that I could get a letter from my Dr., and my insurance may make an exception for the Vitamins. Who knows? So now I'm just waiting on my shipment. The tracking # says it's a 50 pound box. I will post when it arrives. He also told me they are hoping to have strawberry by the end of April, and if I wanted to try that I could call and change my order as long as I do it 24 hours before shipping time next month.

ok, so I got a callback today about my stuff. I was approved for the scar cream, and Protein shakes but not the Vitamins. I was told by the gentleman that called me that they might send me Vitamin samples, but he wasn't sure. I was told when I called in the beginning that they waved any co-pays, then today I get the call about my stuff being shipped and that I was approved and provided a tracking number, then just before I hang up he says, "while I have you on the phone do you want to take care of the $45 co-pay? The stuff has already shipped, I told him I would wait for the invoice and mail them a money order or check. Sorry but I'm not giving a credit card to a company that I have never done business with, call me paranoid. I then called my prescription drug plan member service line, and was told the scar cream was billed at almost $5,000. That seems insanely high, but it was covered. I was a little disappointed that I can't get even the one month trial of the liquid Vitamins, I asked if I could pay out of pocket for them, and was told "they are very expensive, and if Insurance doesn't cover them they are not really a good deal. He refused to even quote me a price. He did however tell me that I could get a letter from my Dr., and my insurance may make an exception for the vitamins. Who knows? So now I'm just waiting on my shipment. The tracking # says it's a 50 pound box. I will post when it arrives. He also told me they are hoping to have strawberry by the end of April, and if I wanted to try that I could call and change my order as long as I do it 24 hours before shipping time next month.

Wow, sorry you are having so many issues. I had no co-pay and opted out of the vitamins because I did not want to take the liquid for. On my second shipment they did send me a bottle of the optisource chewable vitamins, they taste good. I hope it all works out for you.

I emailed them and they finally told me my insurance (United Healthcare/Oxford) doesn't cover it. Too bad, I was really hoping they would.

Happy to report, went to se my primary care doc last Monday and he whips out the Insure Nutrition paperwork that he literally has had since my surgery back in February. He was very pessimistic about my insurance paying for anything since my surgery was "elective"......but got a call Thursday from Insure and EVERYTHING was approved and has shipped. The shakes....scar cream, vitamins.......... Glad it was covered.

I called my insurance and asked if they had approved anything from insure nutrition, they said no but a pharmacy out of state did get a pre-approval for 2 compound meds for me. One for Vitamins and one for a blend of meds, the cust service person didn't know what it was for (the scar cream). I asked what my copay would be and she said the liquid was billed at $299.50 and I had a $10 co-pay, the cream compound was billed at $5,000 for one med, $750 for another med, and $199 for the final component. That's a $6000 tube of scar cream. I was approved for those 2, but she wasn't showing the Protein shakes, so I was curious and called my medical insurance, they bill the shakes as durable medical equipment which I thought was weird, but it was also covered. I still haven't been called back from Insure Nutrition, so no clue what is going on with them as far as shipping, or billing etc. I guess they figure if they are making $6000 for scar cream, even if the Vitamins and Protein isn't covered they can still ship it and make a profit. I just don't get why I'm not being called back, or emailed about the progress. I would think that after all the calls and all the times I was told it was "in process" that the manager that I spoke with yesterday would call me back and give me an update. I'm on the east coast, and they are west coast, so there is a 4 hour time difference, but still it's after noon their time, and still no followup on his part. That's poor customer service.

I found several posts online that said Insure Nutrition is actually charging you (and your insurance) for the scar cream because insurance will not cover the drinks. Many people say their insurance has been charged $5000 for the scar cream. Just be sure to do your homework. Sometimes if it sounds too good to be true, it really is.

I called my insurance and asked if they had approved anything from insure nutrition, they said no but a pharmacy out of state did get a pre-approval for 2 compound meds for me. One for Vitamins and one for a blend of meds, the cust service person didn't know what it was for (the scar cream). I asked what my copay would be and she said the liquid was billed at $299.50 and I had a $10 co-pay, the cream compound was billed at $5,000 for one med, $750 for another med, and $199 for the final component. That's a $6000 tube of scar cream. I was approved for those 2, but she wasn't showing the Protein shakes, so I was curious and called my medical insurance, they bill the shakes as durable medical equipment which I thought was weird, but it was also covered. I still haven't been called back from Insure Nutrition, so no clue what is going on with them as far as shipping, or billing etc. I guess they figure if they are making $6000 for scar cream, even if the Vitamins and Protein isn't covered they can still ship it and make a profit. I just don't get why I'm not being called back, or emailed about the progress. I would think that after all the calls and all the times I was told it was "in process" that the manager that I spoke with yesterday would call me back and give me an update. I'm on the east coast, and they are west coast, so there is a 4 hour time difference, but still it's after noon their time, and still no followup on his part. That's poor customer service.

I found several posts online that said Insure Nutrition is actually charging you (and your insurance) for the scar cream because insurance will not cover the drinks. Many people say their insurance has been charged $5000 for the scar cream. Just be sure to do your homework. Sometimes if it sounds too good to be true, it really is.

From what I'm aware...they're only charging insurance. They're not expecting patients to pay. Contact Insure Nutrition directly if you have any questions. They seem to be very responsive.

This might be a stupid question, but will insurance cover these items if you've had surgery in Mexico? Has anyone tried?

@ho11ieberry06 this is covered with insurance only, not self pay...if you have insurance, you can submit the order on InsureNutrition.com and they will do the work for you and advise....

Good luck

fingers crossed. submitted info a while ago. still haven't heard yet. my surgery is sept 10.

Just came across this and I gave them a call. I hope my insurance will approve.