Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I not be in "sweet Spot" after 3 years ?

Hi Veteran banders,

I've been banded since Feb 2011, and life is pretty good. Lost 60 lbs (although I am short of my goal by about 20 lbs). I still have a "tummy" otherwise things worked they way that they should.

I'm happy that I did the surgery, and do not have any regrets.... Although (the reason for my post) !! for the last year, I haven't gotten any fills because I like the level of food I can eat before being "full"... from this regard, I think the band is working how it should. There are a few questions that I would like to ask others to see if I'm not using the band properly, or if I need to go back for an (un)fill.

Here is my deal.

For the last year (no fills as I mention above) in order not to "stuck" on my first couple of bites of food at every meal, I have to eat hot Soup, or drink hot tea in order to slightly open my passage way in order not to get stuck. Said differently, it seems if I "warm up" the area by eating something warm 1st, foods tend to rest slowly & not get stuck. If I do not "prepare" my tract for food, I get stuck & need to wait about 20 minutes from the initial bite to pass (I do slime during these 20 minutes a few times), then once it passes I can eat just fine.

So, my question is ... am I slightly too tight ? I've come to the realization that having to prep my stomach for food seems like not the way this should work, but it allows me to eat with my family & out with others at a better pace - therefore it has become my "normal"

Does anyone have anything even remotely close to this, or have I just found my own little way to circumvent the system?

I haven't gained any weight recently or for that matter lost any weight... unless of course I eat tons of chocolate or ice cream (every one gains if you do that)... But I'd really like to lose the extra weight, but seems counter-intuative to loosen the band.

This is a litte crazy I know, and I'm sure I'm not doing a great job at articulating; I wish I could explain this in person, but I hope enough people will read & provide any similar experiences that I can use to make some decisons. The Dr. doesn't really offer too much advice anymore,, because I have had the band so long, it appears I'm in contol. I am, just it's not the perfect tool I was hoping for (and maybe my expectations are too high & the band is doing all it can)... Hope this makes sense.. thanks for any insight to your worlds !!

Rick

Edited by Rick P

Hi Rick, I'm not a veteran but I've been reading through these Dr. Simpson articles as I'm really trying to figure out my mode and going this afternoon to discuss getting another fill, wondering what that will mean, how I should feel, not feel, etc. Jim1967 put this out there on another thread. I've gotten so much out of Simpson's take on how the band works. There are tabs at the top for other articles on fills, etc. that go into a lot of detail:

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Hi Rick,

As I approached the green zone or sweet spot as you call it in the very beginning I was able to eat as I always had with my band, a little smaller portion perhaps and a little longer between meals.

As I truly crossed into the green zone a week or so after my last fill, I notice that I am totally eating smaller portions and going longer between meals. I also have noticed, that when I am stressed, or if someone upsets me or just looks at me the wrong way sometimes (it's usually my kids or one annoying co-worker) my stoma will cinch up and that first bite is miserable. Often times when that happens I discard what ever it was I was about to eat because I have now lost all appetite for it.

When I do resume an appetite and/or I need to eat something, I will often give myself a primer as you call it and have a cup of tea or Decaf coffee before sitting down to eat.

I know the warm feeling relaxes my insides, and mentally it helps me to unwind a bit so that when I eat even if I was upset and uptight before I am now relaxed and ready to eat something.

For years my meals were always wrought with frustration, at the table or jammed on the run from one thing to another. I can no longer do that.

That said..however I do not "always" need to do that. I am usually able to eat without needing something warm before hand.

My advice would be to make an apt. with your doctor and have your band checked under floro to see how things are moving in there and then decide with your doc if you need an un-fill or if things are working as they should be for you.

since this last fill I also noticed that if I can prim my digestive tract I can enjoy food without getting stuck. even if I just eat one little tiny bite of food and wait 10 min's or so the rest of my meal will go down without trouble. but if I try and take mouthful followed by another I will get stuck. you wrote your post so well. I smiled because you are me. so if there is 2 of us. there are more.

All,

Thanks for reponding. Glad to hear I'm not alone. Hoping I can still figure something out. Lisa, I do get those stress related tightening you mention too.

I dont want to loosen just to loosen...hopefully more will join in the chat & offer more insights.

Thanks,

Rick

Wow! That's exactly what happens to me. I've been 2 yrs post op and feel like I've failed miserably. I stopped going for fills because it seemed such a waste- I could continue to eat anything I wanted and however much. BUT I always get stuck after the first 2 bites. I wait a while and can resume, but I end up so frustrated I find myself overeating. I'm working to get back on the wagon now. I hope things get better for you. Thanks for sharing. It's motivated me to try a few things before giving up at meal times.

Thanks Susie for your note... I have an update from my post.

7 days ago I started taking a recently FDA approved weight loss drug... Belviq. So far it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.... Relieve the feeling of being hungry! Given the fact that I already have a band to limit my intake I am using this drug to remove the emotional eating & stress related aspect of my diet.

Let me remind everyone that chocolate, Ice Cream & Cream Based Soups make it straight through the restriction (and add a bunch of empty calories). Now in order to eat "normally" (without the stuck feeling after 2 bites) I drink Hot Tea about 15 minutes before my meal - zero calories, it just "warms up the port" (which I just eat normal portion until I feel full - about 1/2 my original itake).

I've lost 3 LBS in the last week by eliminating cravings & eating proper meals (no cravings)... and no starving reactions at dinner time.

I understand the use of diet drugs is not a cure all.... but I already took the long term step (of getting banded)... now I just need some extra push to the finish line.

** Disclosure** While this drug is working for me, I am not a doctor & would recommend anyone speak candidly about taking this med before starting regarding the risks involved. I have not had any side effects & in the next few months hope to lose 20 (ish) lbs with Belviq's help. I'm sure each person should make thier own decision.

Good Luck to you

Edited by Rick P