Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there no one over 70 who has been sleeved?!

Sleeved in March,70 years old,also had hernia repair have loss,85lbs ,betty

Has been hard for me ,but worth it having support from my family helps

Heaven bound , wounding how you are doing I have loss 10 more lbs total of 100 hard to believe I.Have loo more to go keep in touch me know how.your doings also all.other seniors

SLEEVED AT 72 AND AGE WAS NOT AN ISSUE. SLEEVED ON 6/10/14

I just turned 70 and scheduledto be sleeved March 10th. Never had major surgery before and very worried about general anesthesia and breathing tube. Can someone fill me in on how they felt when they came out of anesthesia. Was the breathing tube still in?

Age 72 and had successful sleeve surgery April 13, 2015. Recovery has been a breeze so far - much easier than I thought it would be. My surgeon at first only considered banding but after personal research I asked him to reconsider as I explained my concerns with banding. Luckily, he listened to me and after careful consideration agreed to do the sleeve.

I had surgery in 2014 at age 69. Turned 70 in August this year and am officialy down 78 pounds. Blood pressure and cholesteral are both now good and I don't have aches and pains in hips, knees, feet or problems with balance. I wish I could have had this surgery a lot sooner than I did.

Dear over 70,

I too am over 70 and have been searching for seniors for a while.

I had my sleeve on Friday,27th the day after Thanksgiving. I've been thankful ever since. Everything went well and it is now Sunday and I am home. The most sin I experienced was from the gas. It is subsiding slowly Snd I am walking, sipping Snd crushing pills.

I was kept in the hospital for two night because I was going to be home alone.

Where do you live? I'm in Arizona.

Hope to hear from you often.

We can be sleeve buddies.

Dear over 70,

I too am over 70 and have been searching for seniors for a while.

I had my sleeve on Friday,27th the day after Thanksgiving. I've been thankful ever since. Everything went well and it is now Sunday and I am home. The most pain I experienced was from the gas. It is subsiding slowly And I am walking, sipping and crushing pills.

I was kept in the hospital for two night because I was going to be home alone.

Where do you live? I'm in Arizona.

Hope to hear from you often.

We can be sleeve buddies.

Had my sleeve aPril 13, 2015 at age 72. Had to talk my surgeon into it. Comorbid conditions of sleep apnea, high blood pressure, an high cholesterol. SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS. Have lost 72 lbs and am hoping for more. Recovery was a piece of cake. Working on sticking to diet 7 months out. Have not gained but have not lost in last month. Best decision I ever fought for in my life. Now am working on cosmetic surgery. Have had eye lift and next will be chin and lower face lift.

Went for my one year check up and weighed 170, down from a high of 283 and weight at surgery of 252. I feel so good and am able to move and do everything I need to do. I was headed for bad times - already using a cane and starting to use a walker. No need for either now! Best decision ever to have this surgery. Just went through Thanksgiving with houseguest for a week, constantly cooking three square meals a day. Able to eat reasonably and maintain.

I am 66 years old and am concerned how the sleeve will affect my future health. What are the risk to seniors as apposed to someone younger.

None that I'm aware of.

I'm 70 years old, was sleeved 15.5 months ago, have lost 97 pounds, and am now maintaining at 138 pounds and feel 30 years younger!

BTW, I had my first-ever gall bladder attack 10 days post-op and had to have my gall bladder removed. I recovered fast and easy. Never had any problems since. And gall bladder issues after / during rapid weight loss is not uncommon. Lots of younger people here have had that, too.

Of course, there are long-term complications that anyone can have because they don't eat nutritious foods, don't take their meds and supplements, eat too little, don't deal with old (or new) eating disorders, etc. But those aren't age-related.

Don't be afraid. There's lots to learn. And many changes to make. If you want to live longer, better, happier, and feel so much better, consider seriously WLS for yourself.

Thank you for your input. I have had so much trouble with the band and don't want to go

back to having issues again. My surgeon has recommended the sleeve but only after six to seven weeks after the band is removed. I have some time to think about my decision but I am certainly leaning toward the sleeve.

Thanks again,

Carol

Edited by Carolivey

Oh I am so glad this thread is up because my mom really wants to have this surgery and she is in her early 70s and is very active but her weight has always been an issue. I can't wait to tell her that they do the procedure for her age group.

Hi Seniors,

I am almost two weeks post surgery and have not lost a pound. I've been faithful to the diet and am constantly hungry but all else is fine.

Has anyone else had a slow start to weight loss or are my expectations off?