Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FOUND: The Band! (on 3/21) - This is so exciting!

Hello everyone!

Well...my tool is finally 'installed' - I am so very excited and pleased with the experience.

I started the pre-op journey in Jan of 2006 and had my surgery this past Wednesday, 3/21.

My general info:

33 y/o male; 6'3"

Scripps Weight Management Program (San Diego)

385 lbs when my PCP reffered me to Dr. Lee

374 lbs when Dr. Lee referred me to Dr. Bhoyrul (surgeon)

355 lbs when insurance approved me for surgery

344 lbs on surgery day

The Scripps program was INCREDIBLE. It was a great learning process as I was not even 100% certain that this was the direction I wanted to go. They provided me all of the information and support that I needed and let me make the decision on what I wanted to do. I could of had it done within 6 months, but it took 14 and that was ok...that's what I needed.

The 5 day pre-op clear liquid sugarfree diet was BRUTAL the first couple of days...but I adjusted and got use to it.

Had the surgery on Wed morning and I didn't think that I was going to be in that much pain after. But it's gotten so much better with each passing hour it seems. Dr. Bhoyrul did find a hernia that he repaired while he was in there - so I'm sure that added to the pain - but all in all, I'm feeling like I'm at about 85% 'back to normal' today. Granted this is my 'new' kind of 'normal'.

What else??? Other than that, I am looking forward to eating some food with substance. I never thought that I would be so excited about eating mashed potatoes, yogurt or even some cottage cheese this upcoming Thursday (my 1 week out date). Sounds so good! I'm sure I'll think of more later. Any questions? Ask away!

Take care,

Jason

Congrats on being Banded!!!! And on your excellent loss before banding, that is wonderful, you CAN do it!

Welcome to LBT!

Jason,

Good for you! Sounds like you really researched this and decided it was the best option for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your banding - and what an inspiring weightloss beforehand - well done.

Yvonne

x

Jason- congratulations on being banded and welcome to LBT! It sounds like you're doing GREAT! Keep us posted! Gigi

WOW! Thanks all! I didn't expect to see so much immediate response and support. It;s amazing how a little encouragement and the 'pats on the back' make me feel. Much appreciated everyone.

I will definitely keep you posted!

Take care - Jason

Wow jason! congrats!!! you are doing really great! keep it up.

:) becky

Hi Jason !

I was banded 3/21. as well. My "get out of jail" date, as I'm no longer a prisoner of food....I feel great ! Some soreness for the f

irst few days, but I'm no longer even on pain meds....I'm envious that you had a short pre-op and post-op liquids phase....mine was liquids for 10 days pre-op and 7-10 days post-op...I lasted until post-op day #7 and then had cream of wheat, light yogurt and grits...on day # 14 I can have scrambled eggs, tuna with mayo...it will seem like prime rib ! :)

I feel so excited about starting my new life and look forward to a substantial and sustained weight loss. Are you physically active, or wish to be? Good luck to you ! :clap2:

Thanks Daffodil...we're follow March banders AND March 21st banders. In chatting with some of the local San Diego banders who used my same MD 8+ months ago, they too had to do the 10 days pre-op liquid diet. They were just as jealous that I had to do 5. Perhaps the MDs have learned something in the recent past and word is just getting around...not sure.

Had my first post-op appointment yesterday. Doc is very pleased with how well I'm healing and surprised at how good I look and feel. The one mistake I made was asking exactly where my port is - I had been guessing since I can feel something hard in that area when I sleep (i'm a stomach sleeper). He was feeling around...pushing gently where the port was. That was it...although he was gentle, that bit of irritation put me down for a few hours. that was actually the worst discomfot I had since 3 days after surgery. But, it went away just before bed.

Doc gave me the go ahead for soft foods. I went straight home and had a bit of cottage cheese. For dinner, pureed chicken (2 oz.) and mashed yams (2 oz.). It was like eating food for the first time...I totally looked at the food differently, as energy vs. satisfaction. It was really cool to see it that way. This morning...scrambled egg beaters. yum...it was so good.

I am physically active...going back to the gym in 1 week. For now sticking with walks around the city and neighborhood. It's all been really good. Looking forward to hitting some good cardio.

Good luck to you too!