Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgerythis morning. Everything went well and I'm settled into my hospital room. The operation took just under two hours. When I woke up in recovery it was like waking from a nap. I had some pain in my stomach. Not horrible, they gave me a pain med in my iv, then I felt fine. I was slightly nauseous, so they gave me a med for that and I haven't felt nauseous since. Then I started getting the uncomfortable gas in your body feeling (which I knew would happen because of the air they pump into your diaphragm during surgery.) It was particularly in my chest. But once again, I told them and they had a med for it! About four hours since those meds, started getting a little pain back. It hurts most when I laugh or get up, but overall I am feeling really good!! I have been wide awake, my family can't believe how good I am doing. Just wanted to let everyone know how it went. Hopefully I don't sound too loopy. I'll update you again soon. Happy to be on the wat to healing!

good to hear. Up & walking?

Added oatmeal & potatoes today, so far so good!

Had my surgerythis morning. Everything went well and I'm settled into my hospital room. The operation took just under two hours. When I woke up in recovery it was like waking from a nap. I had some pain in my stomach. Not horrible, they gave me a pain med in my iv, then I felt fine. I was slightly nauseous, so they gave me a med for that and I haven't felt nauseous since. Then I started getting the uncomfortable gas in your body feeling (which I knew would happen because of the air they pump into your diaphragm during surgery.) It was particularly in my chest. But once again, I told them and they had a med for it! About four hours since those meds, started getting a little pain back. It hurts most when I laugh or get up, but overall I am feeling really good!! I have been wide awake, my family can't believe how good I am doing. Just wanted to let everyone know how it went. Hopefully I don't sound too loopy. I'll update you again soon. Happy to be on the wat to healing!

Glad to hear you're doing so well! I'm hoping I can say the same on Wednesday ! ????

Ok new pain - below my incisions I've got a horrible pain around the left abdomen. Called the surgeon and he said I could just be too active but without a fever and nausea, he's not worried. On top of that tomorrow is post op day 7 and the gases went to my shoulder and it's throbbing!!!! Any relief ideas???

I definitely wasn't hurting like that at day 7. I do have an ache or pain below the big incision. Are you doing gasX strips?

I definitely wasn't hurting like that at day 7. I do have an ache or pain below the big incision. Are you doing gasX strips?

No gas ex strips. Nothing but Vitamins and pain med before bed. Do u recommend these?

I used them. Not sure if they helped but they can't hurt. Can you try plain Tylenol? The narcotics will definitly slow gastric motility and make you hold onto pain/gas. I know I wanted to take it but didn't want to crush plain Tylenol and the children's liquid is so sweet unless you can find the sugar free (which I couldn't).

Day of surgery:

I just waked a bunch of laps up and down the hall for about a half hour. Will do more in the morning. Hurtwhen I firstgot out of bed, then quickly was very tolerable. This has been a great day. I hope tomorrow goes as well.

Now I need to chill out and try to get tired. I havent slept yet since surgery. Ive been wide awake all day.

I used them. Not sure if they helped but they can't hurt. Can you try plain Tylenol? The narcotics will definitly slow gastric motility and make you hold onto pain/gas. I know I wanted to take it but didn't want to crush plain Tylenol and the children's liquid is so sweet unless you can find the sugar free (which I couldn't).

Ok all good to know. I'll do without the pain med and see if I can find children's Tylenol tomorrow.

Ugh I went from feeling great to near tears from the shoulder pain.

Thanks so much Janey!

Ok all good to know. I'll do without the pain med and see if I can find children's Tylenol tomorrow.

Ugh I went from feeling great to near tears from the shoulder pain.

Thanks so much Janey!

My neck pain was constant from day 2. Got worse with day 3&4 and by 5 my arm, neck and should ACHED. I treated with liquid Tylenol which I found at CVS. I actually wound up sleeping a lot day 5, (was a rough day in general) and when I woke up on day 6, I felt tons better.

I have been trying to max out Protein intake to help healing along. It hurts so bad when I hit these huge Michigan potholes with my car. I'll basically do anything to get my stomach to heal so that stops....

Hope that you feel better very soon...

Once you get rid of that gas, you should be golden.

I agree, day 6 was sort of a turning point. I hope you feel better. I had gas but to me that wasn't as bad as the pain from coughing, moving.

I really feel good today after my first day at work. Hit all my goals and wasn't too tired. I was surprised.

Michigan, home of the 5foot pothole. I don't miss that!

What about heat and cold alternating for shoulder and neck pain? I am so glad I didn't get it with this surgery.

I grew up in Mi. I laugh when the people here in Tn complain about snow and yes potholes! I am amazed you went to work.

I want to know if any one else might be lactose intolerant. If so watch out for some of the Proteins. I bought a big jug of some kind of whey Protein isolate. Ooooh weeeee my body did not like it! Not only did it taste nasty(I have gotten to dislike French vanilla) but about an hour later I was running, well hobbling fast and undressing to get to the bathroom. What a way to end a week of not going.

What about heat and cold alternating for shoulder and neck pain? I am so glad I didn't get it with this surgery. I grew up in Mi. I laugh when the people here in Tn complain about snow and yes potholes! I am amazed you went to work. I want to know if any one else might be lactose intolerant. If so watch out for some of the Proteins. I bought a big jug of some kind of whey Protein isolate. Ooooh weeeee my body did not like it! Not only did it taste nasty(I have gotten to dislike French vanilla) but about an hour later I was running, well hobbling fast and undressing to get to the bathroom. What a way to end a week of not going.

I grew up in MI and live in TN too. There's bunches of us damn Yankees here.

I've seen a lot of threads where people were lactose intolerant in the early weeks after surgery but then it gets better. Slim fast always did that to me. I'm doing ok with what's I'm doing now but I usually drink premades and when I do mix powder, I use half milk and half Water.

Hey ya'll ima yankee too!!!. From NY and i live in TN too!!! So yea i did horrible with Protein today i couldnt get not one Protein Shake down :(

Jeanne so glad to hear you are doing so well! You are definitely one of the all-stars. Keep it up!

I went back to work today. Got a lot done but holy cow did I feel wiped out. No energy whatsoever and very cloudy headed. Lack of calories will do that to ya though! Luckily I work from home twice a week.

It's weird hearing how cold everyone is. I'm in so cal and commute out to Palm Springs for work. It was a little over 90 degrees out there today.

Picked up mashed potatoes from KFC and have had a couple spoonfuls. They are VERY filling. It's weird, I was anticipating the typical "full" feeling. But this new full feeling is very different than I expected. It's more like a "uh yeah go ahead and take another bite and see what happens, I dare ya". Not the satisfying full that I used to feel. Definitely still trying to get used to it...

Sorry for rambling.