Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein closer to goal

When we are first getting started, we tend to shoot for high Protein numbers daily. For most of us, we aim for 60-100+ grams, and there seems to be an attitude that more is better. As we reach normal weights, do our protein requirements go down? I would assume yes but I'm not sure.

The reason I ask is because I am in a 5-week (so far) stall that coincides with finding a Protein shake I like and finally reaching protein numbers over 60. I've been getting 90-100, which I felt was awesome and was totally going to make my weight loss better. Instead, I have stalled. I wonder if it is because I'm getting way more protein than my body needs at this lower weight, and I would be better off aiming for 60 again and skipping the daily Protein Shake.

Disclaimer, I am in my first real stall at 8.5 months and I'm not particularly stressed about it. I understand stalls and I'm not worried that I am stuck here forever. :)

Misty,

Just my two cents, but I'm 2.5 years post-op, and I still aim for 100+ grams of Protein a day. Frankly, Protein is my best food source because it fills me up and keeps me satisfied until the next meal. I aim for several ounces of dense protein in a meal, with some low-carb veggies, and occasionally a bite or two of carb. As long as your diet is primarly protein and veggies, it then becomes a matter of keeping your calorie intake within range, and getting sufficient exercise (and outwaiting the stalls).

So, did the protein shake replace something else, or was it an add-on? Depending on the shake, it could add 100-200 calories, and possibly a chunk of carb grams as well. It's possible the added calories or carbs have slowed you down a bit.

It replaced a morning snack which would have had less Protein and more carbs before. But I am now trying to skip that morning snack because I am not really hungry then. It was just an attempt to get in enough protein. But I will see how I go with skipping it and either not having the shake or having it for Breakfast. My shake has 30 grams of protein, 170 calories and 9.2 grams of carbs, only 6 of which are sugars.

I'd guess you're just in a stall, as you suspected. It's great you're getting more Protein in, though. I still love my morning Protein hot cocoa - not willing to give it up yet, though I know something more solid would be more satisfying.

You're doing great!!

Here's an interesting article about this. I've done some research in the past about Protein needs for women.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/441130-how-much-protein-is-too-much-for-a-female/

Female Protein Requirements

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that females ages 14 to 70 years old consume 46 g of protein daily. This is a very general guideline; a more comprehensive way to determine your protein requirement is to eat 0.4 g of protein for every lb. of body weight. Divide your body weight in half and subtract 10. An average 140-lb. woman would need 60 g of protein daily. You can also calculate your protein needs as a percentage of your total calorie consumption -- eat 10 to 15 percent of your calories from protein. If you eat 1,800 calories daily, 180 to 270 calories should come from protein. Each gram of protein has 4 calories, so that amounts to 45 g and 68 g of protein daily.

So, at 139-140 (my weight) 60 is what I need - pretty much what my Dr. recommends.

The Dangers of a High-Protein Diet

Many popular low-carb diets recommend eating up to 35 percent of your calories from protein -- a much higher protein consumption than suggested by federal guidelines. The American Heart Association says that high-protein diets can be dangerous because of their high saturated fat content and limited dietary Fiber and Vitamin content. Consuming large amounts of high-fat animal Proteins increases your risks of high cholesterol and coronary artery disease. Diets low in Fiber and essential nutrients, from a lack of grains, legumes and other plant foods, can lead to high blood pressure because of a lack of Calcium, potassium and magnesium. Perhaps the biggest concern with high-protein diets is the effect of protein digestion on your kidneys.

Protein and Kidney Disease

Your kidneys filter waste from your body and help to digest both fats and protein. People in good health can safely consume 20 to 25 percent of their calories from protein and not harm their kidneys.

I think we just have to be vigilant about our overall health also. Too much protein and not enough of other things such as good fats, etc. need to be considered also.

And yes, you are probably just in a good ole stall! I'm like you, I was lucky not to have any stalls during my original losing process. This too shall pass! LOL