Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers

I know that we're not technically supposed to have to "diet" after having lapband so much as just making the right choices and letting the band work its magic. However, it's still early in the game for me and I've only had 1 fill so I don't really have any restriction yet. I really need to control what I eat and how much I eat. I wish I had some sort of structured plan but I don't. So I was wondering....Does anyone here use Weight Watchers? If so, does it work well for you with the band? Is it difficult to meet Protein needs on WW?

When first staring out, I suppose ANY structured eating plan would be a asset....

But keep in mind....we WLS people are a different breed....the "traditional" thinking about calories, metabolism, etc...are different for people simply looking to loose weight than they are are people who are "Morbidly Obese" and have undergone something as drastic as Bariatric Surgery.....

That is why I stopped using those popular exercise/calorie tracking app's...they do not take into WLS people...

I have been doing a basic WW type of plan per my nutritionist. It's easy to follow and makes sense for me. I've been successful having lost 107 pounds over one year.

I think you could meet your Protein needs following WW, certainly. And because their plan is so flexible, you could certainly use it and still adhere to bandrules. If I were to go back to WW today, I'd just eliminate all the white carbs from the plan (the breads, rice, Pasta, grains, popcorn etc) since I don't eat those foods, and base my days around Protein, veg, good fats and fruit. That would be lapband-compliant for my way of eating.

I think you could meet your Protein needs following WW, certainly. And because their plan is so flexible, you could certainly use it and still adhere to bandrules. If I were to go back to WW today, I'd just eliminate all the white carbs from the plan (the breads, rice, Pasta, grains, popcorn etc) since I don't eat those foods, and base my days around Protein, veg, good fats and fruit. That would be lapband-compliant for my way of eating.

Ditto.....

I think of all the diet plans out there WW is probably the most nutritionally balanced. However I was not good at WW because the point thing drove me nuts.. I think you have to be a really structured person and maybe a little anal to follow it. but that is just me. I was never successful on diets of any kind that is why I had the lapband.. I do try to track my calories because If I want something like a piece of cake for a special occasion I can log my meals for the day and see how it's looking for cake...lol

The band allows me to eat sensibly with an occasional treat. I do not feel deprived and I am not frustrated by some gimmick diet. so far so good it is working I've lost 60 lbs so far and I feel confident that when I get to my goal I will be able to maintain it.

I agree that WW is one of the best out there. But it's so easy to use points for high carb foods. I love their chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream dessert, but I would save up and eat the whole box. I'd start out great the first few days, but would veer so far off track, I'd be done with the whole thing before getting through a full week.

Sharpie - the point thing drove me absolutely nuts too. It was MORE bookkeeping, when I already DO bookkeeping for a living....all day long - lol!

I think of all the diet plans out there WW is probably the most nutritionally balanced. However I was not good at WW because the point thing drove me nuts.. I think you have to be a really structured person and maybe a little anal to follow it. but that is just me. I was never successful on diets of any kind that is why I had the lapband.. I do try to track my calories because If I want something like a piece of cake for a special occasion I can log my meals for the day and see how it's looking for cake...lol

The band allows me to eat sensibly with an occasional treat. I do not feel deprived and I am not frustrated by some gimmick diet. so far so good it is working I've lost 60 lbs so far and I feel confident that when I get to my goal I will be able to maintain it.

I like structure and as bad as I hate to admit it, I am a LOT anal. I am definitely a type A personality, which is why I was thinking that the structure of Weight Watchers might help me stay on track until I get that restriction from my band. I have done Weight Watchers before and did well with the plan. My problem is that I get frustrated when I feel hungry all the time and eventually give up on dieting because of that. So maybe if I can follow some sort of plan for now, while I'm in bandster hell, I can get through this phase a little easier and I know I will be ok once I get some restriction so that I don't feel like I'm starving all the time.

I do ww from a common sense perspective. I don't do points... I just do the basics... 3oz Protein 1/2 cup vegetable and 1/4 cup carbs. I stay around 1200 cals daily and that's it.

I'm doing WW. I'm sure you may have heard/seen commercials for their new Simple Start program. Well they also have a simply filling program which is basically lean Protein, whole grains, fruits, veg. You don't track points for any of those power foods (as they are called). You do get an allotment of weekly points for foods that are not power foods, tho.

I track on MFP just because their database of food is so huge and generally I can find whatever I'm looking for a lot easier.

I just started eating the ready made meals just a month ago. I didn't for the first three years. I only get them for the meat as most of them come with either Pasta or potatoes for which both are no nos for me.