Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so weird

I approached the sleeve as the "last time" I am going to lose a bunch of weight. No regain. That meant I really thought about everything that didn't work in the past. One of the things I used to do was keep a fat wardrobe. I owned clothes that ranged from a size 16 to about 28W (around a 3X) to accommodate my slide up and down the scale. this time, I got rid of clothes as soon as they were too big. When I gained 5# last summer and my favorite fitted jeans were feeling a little tight i sucked it up, didn't buy new ones and did 5:2 to get rid of those 5 plus a few more. I find that this method of being really tough about clothing (ie stretch pants are a slippery slope back to 300# theory) has helped me alot since I don't track food. Clothing and the scale are my "accountability" tools. I can buy smaller clothes, or same but NOT bigger.

Anyway, for some odd and unconscious reason, I have been hanging on to oversize underwear. I didn't realize it at first. Then, when I realized it, I thought, oh, I will surely need these after plastic surgery as I was visualizing horrible pain and needing to wear the loosest of clothing. That was a crock, I could wear my regular size underwear right after my plastic surgery! So, I started throwing away my huge granny panties and I realized I had tucked some away in the back of the pajama drawer... etc. Just yesterday I found another two pair put away in a storage bin in my bedroom... tossed em. I am not sure... I hope it is the last of them.

I did not make this hoarding decision consciously and I find it very humorous but also interesting to reflect on WHY. I suspect that this little part of me holds doubt about maintenance and this is my physical expression of it. I think if I regain 160# finding fitting undies is the least of my problems so it is pretty weird.

I just think this is one of those things we are just used to doing. When I was on the Adkins diet and lost a ton of weight, I kept all of my fat clothes because I knew, just like on the Slim Fast diet I did years earlier, I would be needing those clothes again. And I did :(

I had to do a cleaning out of the closet, too, this past summer. I got rid of everything that doesn't currently fit and I felt so worried doing it. My tighty-whities (not so tighty) were the last things to go.

This is one of those things I would never tell anyone outside of this forum, because they wouldn't understand. Historically I kept a wide range of sizes too.. Just in case. Not this time, I'm not buying bigger clothes either...

At the end of last year, I cleaned house for all the reasons you listed above. Undergarments were the last to go for me too. I hate the idea of throwing away any good items, but no one wants used panties.. lol Everything else in good condition got donated. I even found a website that takes formal wear for girls who otherwise might not get prom dresses.

so weird this topic came up...I just bought the correct size undies the other day, but still haven't purged the old ones...I think it's the same thing...throwing them out as opposed to recycling like the clothes...but this weekend they GO! promise!!!!

So your ID name is no longer accurate!! :)

so weird this topic came up...I just bought the correct size undies the other day, but still haven't purged the old ones...I think it's the same thing...throwing them out as opposed to recycling like the clothes...but this weekend they GO! promise!!!!

I don't know how to add your comment to mine, MIJourney... I guess I should always keep a pair of BGP to remind me, huh ??? :) ... put them in a frame as "before" and a new pair for the"after"LOL ... maybe a thong!!! (yeah right, NOT!!!) but that would be a funny and GREAT reminder to me! food for thought is better than food for stomach!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I had the same thought, to get rid of all my clothes as I lost and not regain a singe lb., except it turned out not to be the best plan for me... I was too small when I finished, at a size 0 or 2, 5"6' 124 lbs, and I have a larger frame. So, with a lot of work I put muscle back on, and my posterior and thighs got bigger (up to 130 currently, I go as high as 135 when I am working out long hours and my muscle mass is higher). I look much, much healthier. I now wear a size 4 if my clothes are fitted, or a size 6 if I am wearing a belt and want them to be a little loose and accommodate a lot of movement - like hiking and climbing. So, I did have to buy bigger clothes once I reached my goal, but I am not complaining. I look healthier, I am stronger, and so I accept it. But man... it was really, really hard to get my mind around the fact that smaller isn't always the best answer (for me). These are difficult issues!

I had the same thought, to get rid of all my clothes as I lost and not regain a singe lb., except it turned out not to be the best plan for me... I was too small when I finished, at a size 0 or 2, 5"6' 124 lbs, and I have a larger frame. So, with a lot of work I put muscle back on, and my posterior and thighs got bigger (up to 130 currently, I go as high as 135 when I am working out long hours and my muscle mass is higher). I look much, much healthier. I now wear a size 4 if my clothes are fitted, or a size 6 if I am wearing a belt and want them to be a little loose and accommodate a lot of movement - like hiking and climbing. So, I did have to buy bigger clothes once I reached my goal, but I am not complaining. I look healthier, I am stronger, and so I accept it. But man... it was really, really hard to get my mind around the fact that smaller isn't always the best answer (for me). These are difficult issues!

I also have a big frame and even though my weight is high by some people's standards - at 150 I look healthy, feel good, wear a size medium top and 6 or 8 pants in most brands - I like the size i am.

I used to keep all of my sizes.... then this time (WLS) I started going through them, and every 6-7 months I would bag up a bunch of stuff and give it away. At two years I had reached 174, and then, gained 22 pounds... really hated going out and buying new pants .... Only would buy thrift store pants... I eventually did get that weight off again... plus a few to goal.... I have maybe a couple of pairs of the next size up, and can wear them with long under ware, so there is a purpose for them... I have a couple of pairs of the BIGGEST pants I ever had... as reminders and for big pants photos (where you pose standing in one of your old pant legs....) I have myself on a short leash right now... weigh every day, and count my cals every day... 3 pound bounce... and if I go over that, I have to crack the whip on myself a little bit more until Im back in the range. Jane, I do have a couple of under garments that I still hang onto... for some reason I think they might still fit, but NO, its just a funny idea I have. Sometimes I have cloths that were too small for years, that I held out hope that i might fit into some day, and now they are too big... but I have yet to realize they are too big now. They gotta go. I probably really need to go through the closet again, try on what I need to try on, and toss or give away ....again.

So funny to read this now as I JUST went through closets and drawers again! (3 1/2 post VSG). I, too, have BIG PJs and undies. I like having LOTS of "draws" :) and I just kept digging around the BGP every day! Dumb. And I could not believe the amount of L and XL stuff I had that was too big now. Once getting back to goal and another 10 pounds my body shifted again and those sweaters I thought I would keep and be able to wear are WAY too big. You know that old image of "bigger and looser is better"we all lived by? No more! I took a Back end FULL to the resale shop last wknd and the BGPs are going in the trash!!! (BGP-big girl panties)

I also have gotten rid of 4 sizes of clothes. Yesterday while cleaning out my drawers I found a bunch of granny panties and big nighties. I don't know why I was hanging on to these?? But they are leaving the house in the morning. I think I'll go get some more sexy ones for my upcoming 40th anniversary trip. Make my hubby one happy man!

I approached the sleeve as the "last time" I am going to lose a bunch of weight. No regain. That meant I really thought about everything that didn't work in the past. One of the things I used to do was keep a fat wardrobe. I owned clothes that ranged from a size 16 to about 28W (around a 3X) to accommodate my slide up and down the scale. this time, I got rid of clothes as soon as they were too big. When I gained 5# last summer and my favorite fitted jeans were feeling a little tight i sucked it up, didn't buy new ones and did 5:2 to get rid of those 5 plus a few more. I find that this method of being really tough about clothing (ie stretch pants are a slippery slope back to 300# theory) has helped me alot since I don't track food. Clothing and the scale are my "accountability" tools. I can buy smaller clothes, or same but NOT bigger. Anyway, for some odd and unconscious reason, I have been hanging on to oversize underwear. I didn't realize it at first. Then, when I realized it, I thought, oh, I will surely need these after plastic surgery as I was visualizing horrible pain and needing to wear the loosest of clothing. That was a crock, I could wear my regular size underwear right after my plastic surgery! So, I started throwing away my huge granny panties and I realized I had tucked some away in the back of the pajama drawer... etc. Just yesterday I found another two pair put away in a storage bin in my bedroom... tossed em. I am not sure... I hope it is the last of them. I did not make this hoarding decision consciously and I find it very humorous but also interesting to reflect on WHY. I suspect that this little part of me holds doubt about maintenance and this is my physical expression of it. I think if I regain 160# finding fitting undies is the least of my problems so it is pretty weird.

I thought I was the only one who was being so weird about underwear! I feel a purge coming on…