Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new girl on the block!!

Hi all I'm new here and just begining my search to find out about this procedure. I am , like most people I suspect, concerned about cost. How do you research the best dr and best cost? I need to loose about 130 lbs and told my hubby that I wanted this surg for my 40th birthday.

Hello, Bubblesstina, that's an interesting moniker you got there.

I can't answer your question directly about cost as I am covered by insurance, but there are many wonderful people here who can help you in that regard.

Let's just say that you have found the very best resource on the web for researching this exciting new weight loss surgery. There is a lot of knowledge here, and a lot of folks who have lost weight, but they haven't lost their caring and sharing ways.

You'll be glad you dropped by, you'll thank your lucky stars.

Some of us can share the waiting with you as we make this journey together, and others can share the aftermath of the surgery, you'll be so much better informed and prepared for what is going to happen.

Here you will find love, laughter, tears and so much more. Welcome, and your hubby had just better give you this present, the gift of a longer, happier, more fulfilling life.

Hi, Tina, do you know for a fact that your health insurance won't cover this surgery? Best of luck to you on your journey! Getting healthier is not only a birthday gift to you, but also to your WHOLE family. Everyone will benefit from you being healthier.:D

Welcome Tina! We're practically neighbors! As for cost, depending on where you go and who you choose. I've heard anywhere from $7000 to $30000. Will you have insurance coverage or be self-pay? We have both types of bandsters here. Some banded right here in the USA and some banded in Mexico and abroad.

We're glad to have ya! Please be our guest and browse the sections in this forum. There is lots of information on every one of these pages!

Again, Welcome!

Leatha

Bubbles: Love the name by the way. I self paid for my surgery. I did lots of research about both the banding and bypass and decided the bypass was just too radical for me.

If you are looking for a good doctor then contact Inamed directly and they can give you a list of surgeons in your area. The other option is to see if someone on this site is from your neck of the woods and get some feedback from them.

I went to Mexico for my surgery. I am using a US surgeon for my follow up care. IF you go the Mexico route then please set up a surgeon for your follow up care close to home before getting the surgery.

I can give you my follow up docs info if you like. He is in Ventura, California. I didn't notice where you are located before responding to this post.

Good luck on your search for the surgeon.

I used Dr. Veninga in Carrollton. Great guy!

Dr Cribbins in Plano is very good, but I think has a waiting list pretty long.

I'm not sure of anyone's rates.

Dr. Benavides is well sought after, but the place he actually does surgery isn't contracted with any insurance. No real hospital facilities in the event something went wrong.

Dr. Hamn is good, I hear.

Dr. Provost at UTSW is excellent - another long waiting list, I think.

There are bunches in the area.

Welcome! I am waiting on my surgery too. I have my first appointment with Dr. Provost on Sept. 28th. I will be a self pay, and it will cost approx. $20,000.

Betty

Sounds like you have quite a few options in your area. My insurance paid for the hospital and anest. and a little on the surgeon. I still paid $9000 out of pocket. I was glad to have some covered so I could use a doctor who wasn't too far away.

Choose someone with lots of experience and make sure you have good follow-up care no matter where you go. Good luck with your research.

Hi, Tina! Welcome to the board!!! I'm in Denton where my dr. is charging $14,500 and it includes 18 months of followup and fills.

ANYONE HAD LAP BAND IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS? IF SO I WOULD LIKE TO BE YOUR BUDDY. I THINK I AM STARTING TO GET NERVOUS ABOUT MY SURGERY. I AM SO AFRAID OF THE SIDE EFFECTS. I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN AFTERWARDS. I REALLY WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN BUT I NEED TO GET MY WEIGHT DOWN FROM 270 TO A HEALTHY ONE. ANYONE CAN REPLY TO THIS BUT I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HERE FROM THE NEW PEOPLE. THANKS AND GOD BLESS TO ALL.

AMANDA-NASHVILLE TN AGE 24

:):D:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I HAD BEEN TRING TO GET APPROVED FOR MY SURGERY SINCE AUGUST 2003. MY SURGERY IS OCT 6 2004. I FINALLY WAS APPROVED SEPTEMBER 8 2004. THEY DECLINED ME ONCE. YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS ARE SO SEVERE THAT YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE SURGERY. I HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, HYPOGLYCEMIA,( OF COURSE-MORBID OBESITY),HEADACHES,NAUSEA,VOMITING,LEG AND FEET PAIN. JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF. I JUST COULD NOT NAME THEM ALL. I WENT TO TALK TO A PSHYCOLOGIST SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE THEY THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE APPROVED FOR THE SURGERY. THEY WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE BEING HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND NOT JUST WANTING TO LOSE THE WEIGHT TO LOOK GOOD ONLY. IN MY OPINION I FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO BE COUNSELING MY PHYCHIATRIST BECAUSE SHE TOLD ME MORE ABOUT HER PROBLEMS MORE THAN I. I SPENT ALOT OF MONEY AND TIME TRING TO GET THE SURGERY APPROVED. SOMETIMES IT MADE ME CRY BECAUSE I LET MYSELF GET SO BIG. EVERYONE THINKS IT IS SO EASY TO LOOSE WEIGHT BUT IT IS NOT. I HAVE TRIED ALL THE WEIGHT LOSS pills OUT THERE. I HAVE EVEN TRIED TO STARVE MY SELF BY EATING 1 BITE OF food. I TRIED EXCERSIZING UNTIL I WAS EXHAUSTED. NONE OF IT WORKED FOR ME. THIS IS ONE REASON WHY I AM HAVING THE SURGERY. I AM ALSO TIRED OF WALKING TO THE BACK OF THE STORES JUST TO LOOK AT PLUS SIZE CLOTHES. (AS IF WE NEED TO WALK ANY FURTHER :) . I'M READY FOR THE CHANGE. I READY FOR A HEALTHER LIFE. I READY TO LIVE LONGER AND BE A STRONGER AND HAPPIER PERSON.

HOW ABOUT YOU?:banana :nervous

I have had my band a little over 4 months and would be willing to chat with you as much as you want to. There are several people on the boards who have been banded since mine too. Good luck to you! Teresa:)

Hi Bubbles,

Have you checked it out with your insurance co. to see if they coved weight reduction surgery? If they say yes, Great your on your way to a new you! If they say no, you can appeal (you need to do this) after you exhaust the appeal process you'll have your band hopefully.

If for some reason your employer has an exclusion on weight reduction surgeries (like mine did) you have the choice to continue the appeal process or be self pay.

I chose to go ahead and pay first fight later. The total cost was around $13,500 that includes 1 year follow up too. It's twice as much as Mexico but I felt safer using Dr.Spivac out of Houston Tx.

Well keep us updated O.K.

TTFN

Hello I just got baned less than a week ago I love my band. You will be able to have kids after that isnt even a question with the band. That isnt a risk. Dont worry about that. I want to have kids too but I dont want to weight 300 when im pregnate I cant even handle this weight now let alone gain, there is no room for that. You gotta relax and understand this is going to be so good for your health. The hardest part is getting yourself there to the hospital. The rest is great! Use LapBandtalk it will help so much. You might like to look back to how I felt before my surgery I was totally panicing thats normal. Best of luck we will all be routing for you!

"You gotta relax." Andrea, you are so cute! I can't believe your transformation! You're going to be such a successful bandster! See, you're already able to give out encouragement and advice.:)