Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who took over two years to get sleeved

Anyone else? How did you get through it?

I feel like I'm in a continual wait. Right now I have approval after three appeals but have to start over with a new hospital and new surgeon.

Right now I need shoes and pants but I don't want to spend money on things that aren't going to fit me.

I feel like I'm just waiting for a new life not knowing if it will ever come. It's like I can't move forward but I can't move backwards. I can't stop trying.

I waited 4 years for my sleeve...I just tried very hard to keep it from my mind until I got the call saying I was up next...Then things happened fast....they wanted to make sure I was done before 55..In Canada some surgeons won't do the sleeve after that..Instead they do the by-pass

The waiting list is very long here..We only have a small number of surgeons who do this kind of surgery...they are getting more of them..but it still takes a long time to get it here..

The only thing that jumps the line is if it is critical!

Hang in there! I waited six years! I too live in Canada. And EVERYTIME I applied for the first 5 years I was told I didn't meet their program criteria because I was too fat...does that even make sense? So after five years of rejection and diets and fad diets and exercise regimes, I started the research on Medical Tourism. My family doctor was impressed with my research but she accepted my decision on going to tiajuana to get sleeved by dr. Ponce de leon. But she made me promise that we would try Canada one more time and I said sure whoever is first wins. So I contacted weight no more consulting out of Saskatoon sk, got accepted as a patient and got my surgery date of September 9, 2013...I called on June 18, 2013. And I could have gotten in sooner but the surgeons wanted to give me a couple months to shrink my liver as my starting weight was 384lbs. And low and behold not a week later I got my acceptance letter for to enter the bariatric clinic of Winnipeg. It would only be a 1.5-2 year wait for my surgeons consult. HAHAHA! I said forget it, flew to tiajuana and had my surgery on sept9 as planned. Now 4 months later I am down 134lbs and a million sizes and couldn't be happier! I had the fastest painless recovery ever. I am $12000 poorer mind you, but incredibly thankful. (Sorry for the long story) so be patient, explore all of your options and fight for what you want!

I'm thinking of going to Mexico but I just don't know how. We are getting a big tax return but we have so many bills we could spend it on. Sigh.

Good for you, I'm glad that you got yours finally. How was your experience in Mexico?

I used some money we had saved up in our acct and some tax return money to get surgery. I did feel bad spending that money but what is more important: your health or your bills or your vacation or whatever you can (insert here)?

Then again, if you have an approval in hand from your insurance have you talked to the new surgeon and hospital? If you are already approved, it may go FAST from consult to surgery. I would call them and tell them you already have insurance approval and after a 2 year wait, you are just READY to get surgery and want to know how long it will take? I have heard of some people having ins. approval and got through pretty fast. If it's going to take a long time, I would seriously consider Mexico if I were you! I only spent 5,200$ all in from flights and surgery and medicines and meals and hotels and everything. Don't go on price alone though. If you can afford it, there is Dr. Aceves in Mexicali or Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras, Mexico and they have the best reputations on here hands down and they are both around 8-9K.

I'm thinking of going to Mexico but I just don't know how. We are getting a big tax return but we have so many bills we could spend it on. Sigh. <br><br> Good for you, I'm glad that you got yours finally. How was your experience in Mexico?

I got a bank loan. Paying it off in 5 years! I wanted it so I did it :) and my mexico experience was wonderful and uneventful! My surgery was done at the INT Hospital which is super clean and had wonderful staff! My coordinator Debra handled everything! It was a crazy and fun experience! And I would do it again in a heart beat!! Just do your research! Someone my husband works with went through this in march of 2013 so I had a pretty good feeling after I had researched other surgeons...I knew dr Ponce was the one for me and knowing someone personally who went the same route just validated it! I was scared poopless leading up to the whole day, don't get me wrong, but after I I crossed the border and actually settled into the hospital room and talked to the surgery team I felt so much better!