Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family coming with me to Tijuana

Hi,

I am looking to have surgery with Dr Lopez in April. My husband and 9 year old daughter will probably be coming with me, the alternative is I come alone and he stays home with her. That was the original plan but now he wants to come.

Is the Marriott area safe for them to be walking around at? How far is the Marriott to the market place that people talk about? Is that easy to get to? Is it safe? I'd be fine going alone, or with him coming with me but to have my daughter there too, and with what you hear about, that concerns me.

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks.

Lisa

My sister and I walked to the Marriott a lot while I was there. It is on a major roadway, so the traffic was the biggest "danger". The Walmart Plaza is about 1/2 mile walk straight up from the Marriott. There is a Starbucks, GNC, and several restaurants. They also had a big kid's play area out front with inflatable Water rides and other activities your daughter (and husband) might like. Since we were "frequent flyers", a couple Walmart employees started to recognize us and we had a nice time chatting with them and sharing US vs Mexico stories. The Marriott also has a pool and the staff is very friendly and accommodating.

I was told by the Marriott staff that it's not safe to walk after dark. I lived in New Orleans for 20 years and just outside now so compared to that it looked pretty safe but I took their word for it. I knew a man that was kidnapped in Mexico and held for rands one but he was a Ritchie man that was from there. I'd say day time is probably ok. Also it's a short cab ride to the tourist market. Revolution I think it's called. Good luck. The hotel is nice everybody speaks english you'll be fine.

Avenida Revolucion is the shopping street, lots of fun stores and good restaurants. Ask for bottled Water or drink bottled sodas. It's pretty safe, but don't go wandering on side streets and don't go at night. I'd ask the hotel about taxi service - they can probably recommend safe taxis or have a driver from the hotel take you (some taxi drivers are part of the kidnapping/ransom rings).

I have not stayed at the Marriott in TJ but I lived in California for 45 years and spent a good amount of time over the border.

Avenida Revolucion is the shopping street, lots of fun stores and good restaurants. Ask for bottled Water or drink bottled sodas. It's pretty safe, but don't go wandering on side streets and don't go at night. I'd ask the hotel about taxi service - they can probably recommend safe taxis or have a driver from the hotel take you (some taxi drivers are part of the kidnapping/ransom rings).

I have not stayed at the Marriott in TJ but I lived in California for 45 years and spent a good amount of time over the border.

The OCC driver took a bunch of us to the Avenida Revolucion area but we had to all get taxis back to the Marriott. Joel (our driver) told us which taxis to take. Unfortunately I don't remember :( but if you ask at the Marriott or OCC they can help you. Like everyone else said, daytime is fine, but probably wouldn't venture out at night. (Even though my sis and I were walking back to Marriott after dark one night).

Thanks for the replies. After doing research, hubby decided he and my daughter will stay with me the first night at the Marriott, and will come with me to the hospital the next day. After my surgery, the shuttle driver will take them back to San Diego where they will stay for the rest of the trip. I feel good about this. Lots more for them to do there. I'm almost jealous, I'm looking up hotels for them, probably in Old Town, and all the things they will be doing, I'm torn about wanting to stay another night or 2 in San Diego, or going home, but in any case, I like his decision. I'm fine with being in the hospital then Marriott alone, knowing they are having a good time.

Lisa

Walking during the daylight hours is safe. I would not walk after dark.

I'm not sure children are allowed at the hospital, up on the floors. I'm pretty sure I saw that listed in Mi Doctor's policy.

Just got back from Mexico. My partner had surgery with Dr. Garcia and we stayed at the marriott. The taxi ride to the Walmart from Marriott was 4$ for the two of us. And we took a taxi back to the hotel no problems. After the whole surgery, hospital and hotel stay we had te driver take us back to San Diego airport. We had reserve a car and drive to Laguna Nigel. It was about 45 minutes to 1 hour from the airport and we stayed there for another 3 nights. We thought the extra days were good for her recovery before the 6 hour flight home to NY. It was the best decision ever! Gave her a chance to relax and we got to walk around and see a new state. We also took a whale watching tour and saw a migrating grey whale. they are having like the bigger whale watching season and see whales every day! The tour before us saw 4. Ok. I'm rambling but if you get the opportunity to sight see before going home I don't think you will regret it. Plus you are already there. Might as well take advantage.

Sounds like a great time! I think so many folks don't realize how good they are likely to feel so soon after surgery (not everyone, but most of us ...!).