Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone concerned because they can eat more than expected?

I am three weeks post op and just started soft foods. I have read that sleevers struggle to even get 2 oz of Protein in or that it takes a really long time to eat. I had no pain after surgery. I have yet to have that overly full feeling. I have not had any nausea. I never struggled with liquids and the food seems like it is going down too easily. I followed my Dr's post op to the letter and continue to follow the dietician's plan on soft foods. I stop at 2 oz of food Protein and sip Water all day. I have had the feeling a couple of times that I took too big of a drink, but the feeling passes in a couple of minutes. I don't feel hungry but eat to keep some calories going in and to get the protein I need.

Am I crazy to be concerned that things are going too well? In a strange way I was really hoping that I would be full instantaneously because then it would be more likely I can keep the weight off for years to come.

Everyone is different. If you're tall, you may have a longer stomach, and even sleeved, your capacity may be more than most others. So 2 oz. may be a lot for me, but not enough for you.

Stopping at your instructed amount is a good thing. It means you are following instructions and not testing your boundaries. It's early days yet, this is when you need to be extra careful and give yourself the easiest path to full healing.

Don't be worried, you will feel the restriction much much more once you start eating solids. I guarantee it. liquids are passing right through, but once you're fully onto solids and eating dense Protein such as chicken and fish, you will feel yourself get full fast!

As to keeping the weight off.....don't be lulled into thinking the restriction you have at the beginning is what you will have all the way along! I am 20 months post-op and I can eat A LOT more than I could at 8 months.

Developing good habits, understanding what your body needs to perform well (especially if you're doing exercise), and training your brain to be satisified with normal (small) portion sizes will make all the difference for you when you are 1-2 yrs post-op and your capacity has increased.

For now, just enjoy the easy road you've had. Be prepared for some speed bumps along the way (most of us have them at some point) and follow your MD/NUT's instructions. Lots of great examples and advice to be had here as well.

Good luck!

Edited by Webchickadee

Hi there.

I am like you - nothing makes me nauseous (except the bariatric vitamins), I have not had any side effects since surgery. Nothing bothers my sleeve and that scares me.

I could handle a lot more soft/puree/mushy foods than I can dense Proteins. Like last night I ate a little under 1/2 a cup of Wendy's chili. I can't eat that much meat and cheese for lunch - I'm at about 2 - 2.5 ounces of that.

Since I don't feel hunger most times, I eat to the clock. At almost 9 weeks out, I still drink 2-3 shakes per day and 3 meals. I'm focused on getting in my Water and Protein.

When I look at what I used to eat before..........oh my............I know I could never eat that much again....So i am just doing my journey and letting the sleeve do its.....

It does have to do with your length of sleeve and height and the cut your surgeon made.....Just make sure that the dense Protein goes in first...K

I was worried about that too, but then I went from soft foods to dense Protein and found that there was restriction - early on I felt like I could take very large gulps of Water, etc, and I worried my sleeve wasn't small enough. But then I went to solids and wow, what a difference. Now I know the restrictions and my limitations as far as number of bites of dense meat, because the overfull feeling is not pleasant. I'm betting you'll go through the same thing in 2 weeks when you're on solid food as well.