Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant: can I refuse an un-fill?

I am 5 weeks pg (:)) and wondering if I can refuse an un-fill. It is my surgeon's offices' practice to un-fill during pregnancy, but I am at a level of restriction that, when combined with Weight Watchers, has me losing about 1 lb per week. I can easily increase my Protein and veg to be on the moderately gaining side.

I am seeing my ob next Tuesday and will speak with her about it too.

Any past experiences or anecdotes related to pregnancy and the band are appreaciated.

THANK YOU!

I am not banded nor have I ever been pregnant but because of my job and my parent's professions growing up, I was hoping to offer some insight anyway.

The reason why doctor's don't want you losing weight is because your body releases chemicals and toxins that can hurt your child. Your body needs to be able to release the "weight gain" chemicals in order for your baby to be healthy. If you're losing weight, even a pound a week, you might be jeopardizing the health of your baby. Dieting can also lead to malnutrition for yourself or your baby. If you go into ketosis (ie you eliminate carbs from your diet) you and your child will be in a ketogenic state which is great for weight loss but not so good for your baby. In fact it can cause fetal brain damage. Please be careful and ask your doctor before continuing any weight loss program. I hope this helps. Congrats on your pregnancy.

Good luck, Sheila

Here are some sites that might help you.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/3561.html

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/is-it-safe-to-diet-during-pregnancy/

Excellent advice---I had not been in her shoes, and never thought of it---you bring up very valid, and insightful points!!

I love this site!

Kat

It will really depend on how much you weigh now....... the goal would be to NOT gain any weight and one gal that I know had a RNY was told she could safely lose weight, because it would help her heart.

As always.. only you and your doctor know YOUR biz....so rely on his experience to guide you in the right direction.

Thanks everyone. My fear is not gaining a reasonable amount - say, between 15-25 lbs - but gaining much more. We'll see what happens at the doctor's office. Thanks again.

I think part of the problem, too, at least what my Dr said in some support meetings is that it's hard to get in the calories your ob will want while having the band. Don't want to over eat, strech the pouch and maybe slip while also pregnant. Could be tough.

Best course is just exactly what you said. Talk to your ob. Talk to your band doc and then decide the best course.

Good luck and congrats!!

I haven't been banded yet (getting banded a week from today) but I was overweight before both of my pregnancies. During both pregnancies I weighed more the day I discovered I was pregnant then a week after giving birth. I believe that because I was overweight that the lack of room in my stomach made me not have much of an appetite at all (also why I think the band will work really well for me). I have talked to other overweight pregnant women they said the same thing that they lost weight while they were pregnant.

I think that you should get the band unfilled like they recommend and just enjoy your pregnancy. For me being pregnant was one of the few times in my adult life that I didn't feel guilty for eating.

If you choose to breastfeed, that will help you lose the weight after you deliver. Then you can go back to getting the lap band filled and progressing on your weight loss journey. But for now your body has a new role and that is to develop a healthy baby!

Good Luck and enjoy this time!

Kristen

I'm on my third Band pregnancies--and have been unfilled for all of them. You definitely need to consider an unfill during your first trimester due to morning sickness concerns. If you're vomiting a lot... you could cause your Band to slip... meaning you could need emergency Band surgery while pregnant. Not a good thing.

See how things go during the first trimester, and then talk with your OB and your surgeon about a re-fill during your 2nd and 3rd trimester. If you've gained a lot during the 1st trimester, it may be something to consider. IF not, then probably it's best to wait until after the Baby is born. Your Band can be tightened after your pregnancy... and you won't have to worry about how your WLS is affecting your Baby.

If you do keep your fill, you may also want to talk with your OB and surgeon about having it removed at 38 weeks or so... as when you go into labor... during a period called Transition (around 5 cms dilation) many people experience vomiting. (Real vomiting, NOT PBing). Once again, this is a risk for slippage.

Don't worry too much about your weight at this time. You're not the priority; it's your baby. Get the unfill.

Congrats! Bandster babies rock!

My surgeon indicates an unfill is needed IF you're unable to get the amount of calories you need while filled. And that if you can get in the amount of calories you need while filled, then you can maintain your fill level.

I don't know if you will see this post, but here is my input:

I have not been banded - yet- but I also lost during both my pregnancies. My girls are 18 mo. apart (suprise!) and during both, I lost about 40 pounds ea. time. I did end up with 2 C-sections due to them both being face-up. I also never dialated - which some said that being overweight sometimes you don't really lose your "waist" (what there is of it to begin with!) and that can interfere with the "dropping" down process. I was mostly out front carrying them and did not mind a C-section. I am thinking that the after care may be about the same feeling for the band? I also, like JackSpratsWife, am hoping the feeling of fullness will be the same that I had when pregnant, I just ate about 1/3 of what I would have normally eaten. I never got sick, well only once brushing my teeth, so each person really has their own experience. My only phobia was CHICKEN- uggh. Good luck in your adventure. Enjoy being pregnant! It is the longest -and shortest journey to take. I am hoping the band will give me back the spunk I felt after having my girls. Now to start on losing that 80 pounds that came back!