Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I'm still a little unclear on the following: what is the difference between PBing and vomiting? I've been stuck before and have had the food come back up with a lot of slimy stuff (sorry for grossness :) but to me this seemed like throwing up. Any feedback is appreciated!

PBing is Productive Burping. It means you burp or regurgitate the food thats in your esophagus and it comes up and out. Sometimes with slime. The difference between that and vomiting is that vomiting comes from the stomach. It will have bile and partially digested food. PBing comes from above the band and usually happens when you eat too fast, eat something you can't tolerate, or possibly overeat.

PBing is Productive Burping. It means you burp or regurgitate the food thats in your esophagus and it comes up and out. Sometimes with slime. The difference between that and vomiting is that vomiting comes from the stomach. It will have bile and partially digested food. PBing comes from above the band and usually happens when you eat too fast, eat something you can't tolerate, or possibly overeat.

Thanks! I know I've been stuck and what comes up definitely has slime and almost resembles vomit in a way so I'm not sure what it is. It seems like I get that tight feeling in my chest if I eat too fast or too much and I feel immediate relief after it comes up. I think maybe what I've experienced is more like regurgitating than vomiting but it rarely involves a burp. Thanks again for the input!!

pbing,, I call it a jellyfish

yes, that "PBing" is right on description, and for ME at least, is indicative of a Primary Eating Error....

something I"VE done that overwhelms the normal and rather stately way my Band (my Little Angle of the Silicon Fist) tells me in my enthusiasm I have committed some procedural mistake in reverting back to my Old Bad Eating Habits.....

too much

too fast

too dry

I've NEVER had "PB" with nibble/nibble/nibble in a nice slow & easy cadence, that allowed the bolus to become wet & semi-liquid from actually CHEWING before swallowing.

It IS one of the more difficult habits I continue periodically to forget.

While there have been periods of the Band TOO TIGHT (in my early phase when I didn't recornize the signs for
"TOO TIGHT DUMMY--[yes-I was a slow learner]" and I "PBed' or 'got the slimes' daily for weeks on end, in fact I've NEVER actually upchucked anything that resembled 'bottom stomach' material....no digestive juices, no distunct odor of something barn yardy....

"Vomit" IMHO includes digestive juices.

"PB" doesn't.

I got myself stuck today. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings and today I think I waited too long and was really hungry -- it was 12:30 or so. I went for some leftover fish, thinking that Protein was such a good choice. It was a bit over cooked and I didn't even heat it up -- cold out of the fridge. And I probably ate it too fast. I knew when I got that solar plexus pain that I was in for it. This had only happened once before but, boy, there it was. As with that time, today I progressed I to rather violent hiccups and then finally after about 20-30 minutes up it came. There is the saliva needing to be spit out beforehand. I certainly couldn't do this out in the world or at some one else's house. These hiccups are something -- loud!

So then guess what I did? After I was settled back down I decided I'd have a Popsicle. I figured that would make me feel better. There, there, Little Bunny! Well that turned out to be an idiotic move as I started the whole cycle and it had to be seen through -- the solar plexus pain, saliva, violent hiccups and then the spitting up. Good grief. Learned my lesson there! I hope, I hope. No cold Protein first thing, have something softer, don't over cook anything, and don't reach for something cold after an episode.

Later I had some warm tea and that went down well, then much later some yogurt and applesauce. Didn't even entertain the idea of eating anything more substantial, no way.

Bandista: you hit the Tripple Whammy there!

1) waited too long and was really hungry -

2)leftover fish, .... over cooked and I didn't even heat it up -- cold out of the fridge.

3)ate it too fast.

That is my notion of Classic Eating Error #1.

Same thing happens to me.

I know the "too long---too hungry" somehow shorts out my chewing processor and I somewho revert to the old 'gulp & swallow"....and before I can go 'Oops'.....there it is.....

In fact, at dinner tonight I had waited too long from lunch, tried microheating the leftover lunch, and it was SO GOOD>....I felt the first unchewed swallow go down and tried to ignore it....but within minutes.....had to spend the next 20 in 'walkies alert'.....I go outside and move about the Estate to relieve my version of the PB Slimes.

Yes, it cleared. Yes I finished the meal.

The Cues for this is GOING to happen, in time to STOP adding to the misery EVEN if I'm hungry, is rewarded by a far more brief episode of far less misery than Eating Error #2 produces.

Good report OP. Be alert out there & most of these episodes can be avoided.

We don't do real vomiting, as if we are pbing it has b\not passed through to the stomach yet. It has none of the stomach acid connected with it. (sort of tastes the same coming up as going down)! I know, gross! It is ,almost, impossible for us to vomit from the stomach! (if I am wrong, I know someone will tell me)!!!Karen..aka.kll724

Hi everyone! I'm still a little unclear on the following: what is the difference between PBing and vomiting? I've been stuck before and have had the food come back up with a lot of slimy stuff (sorry for grossness :) but to me this seemed like throwing up. Any feedback is appreciated!

Most lap banders don't have real vomiting, because our food goes down into our esophagus and it slowly moves from the lower esophagus and upper pouch( made by the lap band) and sits there for awhile before it slowly goes into the lower stomach....

We don't have the nasty stomach acid in our vomit....it's always slimy and sometimes can contain food particles (bolus) undigested food, that we've eaten without the stomach acid because the food never reaches the lower stomach most of the time when we Pb food.

Slimming is a bit different than Pbing, most lap banders will probably "slime" more often than they PB, slimming is a way of producing saliva to help move the "stuck" food down your esophagus and your mouth will fill with saliva and you will spit out slime...slimming is not as harmful as Pbing because you are not actually putting pressure on your band...frequent Pbing can cause your pressure on your band...

Pbing should be avoided, at all cost, if done frequently it can cause band slippage.

Edited by NaNa

Slimming is a bit different than Pbing, most lap banders will probably "slime" more often than they PB, slimming is a way of producing saliva to help move the "stuck" food down your esophagus and your mouth will fill with saliva and you will spit out slime...slimming is not as harmful as Pbing because you are not actually putting pressure on your band...frequent Pbing can cause your pressure on your band...

I agree with Nana, and thought about what I typed lastnight. I do slime a lot more than pb! I hate sliming, and most always have to find somewhere to spit, or it will come out all by itself! YUCK! In fact, I red that B-52 said he mentors and some ladies carry zip lock bags in their pocket books for the problem. I have carried large amounts of paper towels in my car, too :(

I agree with Nana, and thought about what I typed lastnight. I do slime a lot more than pb! I hate sliming, and most always have to find somewhere to spit, or it will come out all by itself! YUCK! In fact, I red that B-52 said he mentors and some ladies carry zip lock bags in their pocket books for the problem. I have carried large amounts of paper towels in my car, too :(

karen,

When someone is carrying zip lock bags and "spit cups" in the car they've got some serious issues with the band....the ONLY time I had a spit cup in my car was when I was accidentally filled too tight and I could barely swallow my spit, I could not wait to get to my surgeons office the next day....and en-route back to my surgeon's office to get some saline out ...I had to constantly "spit" into a cup ...it was horrible!....

Believe it or not, some people KEEP their band THAT TIGHT for long periods of time! Unbelievable....I can see why there is a very High Re-operation rate with the band some of it is from plain stupidity and just nasty!