Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to invest more to find a new career?

Hi Everyone!

I'm been in the finaicial industry for about 10 years. Immediately after college got my MBA (that you'd never guess and i wouldnt say i actually ever have used) and got into the investments/banking and now am in debit/gift/heathcare cards. Its not a bad place to work even tho if you're an October Bandster you've listen to me gripe and stress about my clients... And the insurance there did pay for my band except for a tiny copay.

But i want something more. I want to know at the end of the day did all my work matter to something other than gee i wonder if Bob got his pin number before his vegas trip or is this client going to yell at me in themorning because we have their name spelled wrong on an activation label no one reads...

For 3 years now I've been involved with the Avon Walk for Breast CAncer and I want to find some career working with nonprofits in developement, advocacy or fundraising. Something that matters.

So i went back to SXU and got a certificate in nonprofit and public management. I've been sending my resume around with no bites.

Now I've signed up for the national breast cancer coalition advocacy training in arlington, va. its saturday til tuesday with several great sounding workshops and meetings. then that tuesday you get to spend it on capital hill. Part of me thinks it would be such a great experience and I should charge the room and airfare right now!

But then theres the part of me thats sending the monthly check to Sallie Mae wondering how much more dang money can I spend on figuring out what I want to do with my life!

At one point today I actually thought to myself - maybe i need to find a local tarot card reader or astrologer to say Yes Sonia. Do This. You will find the network connection you have been looking for. Everything else you could spend this $$ on can wait.

i know i need to book this trip this week if I want to go. I just wish i could peak into the future somehow ya know...

thanks for letting me rant!

I'll be 60 this year and my advice about work is to do what you love. Money isn't everything and if you love the non-profits, hunt around. They may not pay much to start, but you may move up. I spent too much time doing what other people thought I should do. In my 30s, I decided to do what I wanted to do and I've made more money and been happier ever since. I always tell people to do work that makes them happy. Otherwise, one's life is wasted doing crap work you don't love. Take it from me, find the area you love and go for it.

I agree with bitteroldhag, do something that motivates you to get up in the morning, something that excites you and you feel you make a difference, that you matter. I'm 35, divorced with 3 small boys and have a BS in Business Admin and am doing absolutely nothing with it. I've decided to have my PS this summer then I'm outta there, even if I make less money for a while so what. Sometimes we have to take a chance and make that leap. I've decided to become partners with a college friend of mine whom is taking over her MIL bookkeeping business. I will be my own boss, my own hours and meet a ton of interesting people but more importantly I really enjoy accounting and will get a chance to utilize my skills everyday.

I recommend to go through temp agency and network, network, network because at this point in your life it's not what you know but who you know. Your are educated now use that very intellegent mind you have and go for it girl...YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT.

Ana