Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering if anyone has been revised from the VSG to the RNY at all. I am being revised because of severe reflux, but just wondering if anyone could share the story with me...(hopefully success) :D Did it cure your reflux if that 's the reason that you had the revision, and how was your weight loss after the revision. Thanks in advance!!! I have been researching but am having a hard time finding a lot of info on it!

I had a revision, but it was from a Lap-Band to bypass. I had such severe reflux with the band that I had to have it "deflated" completely to relieve it. I had "esophageal distention" which is basically the upper part stretching along the side (not at the stricture), so it filled with food up above the band....causing severe reflux.

My "hiatal hernia" was oversewn during the revision and I have been SO much better since then! I don't have heartburn or reflux or any discomfort at all!!!

So, even though my revision was not from a sleeve, yes,...it DID "cure" my reflux/GERD pretty much completely.

Best wishes in your journey!!!

Can I ask how much you lost after the revision? I'm have a ways to goal and Am hoping this kick starts the weight loss again. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone :)

I lost a TOTAL of 40 pounds with the Lap Band and it almost all came back.(that was over a total of 8 years)

I've lost 71 so far (1 year) with bypass....and, honestly, I have not committed myself to eating healthy and exercising as I should...but I've still lost 71 pounds. My start was 265; current 194, goal 165.

I hoping to get a revision from the sleeve to the bypass so I'm keen to know how others are doing too.

Xxx

Hello,

I had the Sleeve January 9th 2013. Had Gallbladder removed February 1st 2013? Contained to have pain on right side, and acid reflux. I reached my goal weight of 155 in August, My start weight was 263. I continued to lose weight, and be sick. Throwing up, nausea, and heart burn. Surgeon found out I had Bile Reflux in October. I lost down to 130lbs, and was in hospital for dehydrations every few weeks until November. I was revised on November 21, 2013. I ended up in hospital December 8th, for extremely Low blood pressure, and dehydration, was in hospital for 6 days.

I am slowly getting better. They have my blood pressure under control with medication, and I am starting to be able to keep small amounts of food down, I have gained 4 lbs.

I did not want the Gastric Bypass, but it is what I had to do. Surgeon said I should be much better and able to start working out by end of February.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I'm hoping to be revised from the sleeve to a bypass.

I've had severe reflux; I had it prior to surgery so it was a given really that it was going to get worse.

But also for me was the lack of restriction with my sleeve and regain of weight.

Hope you get back on the road to recovery quickly.

X

lack of restriction has Never been an Issue, I honestly think my Surgeon took out too much stomach, I can hardly hold anything. Best of luck

I'm hoping to be revised from the sleeve to a bypass.

I've had severe reflux; I had it prior to surgery so it was a given really that it was going to get worse.

But also for me was the lack of restriction with my sleeve and regain of weight.

Hope you get back on the road to recovery quickly.

X

Sadly I believe to be headed that way. 18 months out from VSG..Severe GERD...About 3 months ago began vomitting and going days without keeping any food or liquids down. Approaching underweight and freaked out that a RNY might be in my future, at the same time I am freaked out about how much longer I can live with this vomiting and complete intolerence to food and liquids. My surgeon is trying a 3rd dilation this week, I have already had 2 and am not feeling better. He will try a stent next, then RNY. Feeling miserable and my body is crashing.

I know you are dreading any additional surgery, but I think RNY may be the best option for you. The GERD is HORRIBLE with "restrictive" procedures; the RNY doesn't have that (nearly as much). With RNY, you DON'T throw up - I think I've only thrown up ONCE since RNY a year and a half ago. With RNY you just get that "I wish I could throw up" feeling (like after a Thanksgiving belt-loosener!!) but you can't...you just have to wait for it to process/pass. It is a decent behavior modification too, because (since you can't relieve it immediately, like with the band) you tend to remember the misery and think maybe you don't want to over-eat/eat poorly after all, because of the way you know you'll feel. I know with my band, if I overate, I could just go throw some up and then I'd be fine. No matter the approach, some changes will have to come from you alone. (not that you haven't made those changes already!) I wish I had had the RNY from the start and saved myself time, money and misery! Good luck on whatever is in your future. Hope you get relief from the GERD soon...I know how miserable it is!!

Hi guys. Is RNY a bypass?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am having a revision from a VSG to a bypass...my surgery is this Tuesday in PV and I am so scared this time around. Thankfully I don't have severe acid reflux but I didn't really lose much weight at all with the VSG. I am doing self pay in Mexico.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Yes, RNY is Roux-En-Y gastric bypass. I only lost 40 pounds with my band; I've lost over 70 with bypass.

You will do fine; just follow instructions to the letter - at least for the first 3 months!!! LOL!!!