Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose bypass?

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to these boards, and absolutely love reading the journeys that are being taken on a daily basis! I have been banded for about 6 years and am having a revision later this year. My surgeon and I had originally thought that the sleeve was the best option for me, but now (long story short) a bypass might be in my best interest.

My question to all of you bypass patients is, what made you choose bypass? Was it your only option, or did you also consider the sleeve. I'm totally not here to judge or contradict, but am simply still in the information gathering phase of a life altering decision! I have gone from being completely terrified of EITHER procedure, to a state of curiosity and real-life story gathering.

I thank you in advance for sharing your advice, experience and wisdom!

I chose bypass over the sleeve, because I was unsuccessful with the band; I had a loss of almost 40 pounds when I first got the band in 2006, but gained a large portion of it back. I could eat a lot and I also had severe reflux/GERD and the band actually made it worse. Prior to having bypass, I had to have ALL the saline taken out of the band for relief.

My other reason for choosing the bypass over the sleeve: RNY bypass is the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery, so I felt it was the most "tried and true". If I understand it correctly, the sleeve is RESTRICTIVE only, whereas the bypass is RESTRICTIVE AND MALABSORPTIVE, which I felt like I needed, since I was unsuccessful with the band (over time).

I am hypothyroid as well (have been for 20+ years), so I felt the malabsorptive aspect was needed to give me the best chance of losing.

Admittedly, I have a HORRIBLE sweet-tooth. Bypass has made me limit that to some degree; I don't feel well if I "over-indulge", but I am able to have a couple bites of chocolate here and there without negative consequences.

Lastly, I chose bypass because even though the sleeve is a little less expensive, I just didn't feel that I could go through a THIRD surgery if the sleeve didn't work....financially OR emotionally. That's where the "gold standard" thing came in...I figured if I had to choose only ONE MORE surgery, I should go with the tried and true/gold standard!

I guess I've been pretty lengthy here...sorry. But, those were my reasons for choosing the bypass...and I don't regret it at all...I only wish I had STARTED with bypass instead of the band...I was misinformed about the "reality" of the band's success. Maybe they didn't know at the time (it was pretty new) or maybe they just suckered me in...I don't know.

Hope this helps....best wishes in your journey. There is no "correct" procedure; it's just what you feel will work for you and that you are comfortable with.

In the absence of any medical reasons that would point to sleeve or RnY as the better option, RnY is the most effective treatment known to medical science for obesity, type 2 diabetes and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. With a history exceeding 30 years, RnY is also the single most studied bariatric surgery option - by a very wide margin. RnY patients typically lose a little more than sleeve patients but the complication rate for RnY is a little higher. Both surgeries are safe and effective!

I discussed all my options with my surgeon and we both decided that bypass was the right one for me. I needed the more "permanent" surgery. I can tolerated some sugar, but cannot tolerate any high fat foods. I don't plan on testing my tolerances for either, and I am trying to eat clean and lead a healthier life. I remind myself everyday that they operated on my body not my mind. Best of luck to you!!

These are fantastic, thank you very much! One of my comorbidities is insulin resistance, which can quickly become type 2 diabetes. Due to this new development, my doctor is thinking that bypass would be a better surgery for me since it has a proven record of reversing a much higher percentage of those symptoms than the sleeve does. Although, many people have had diabetes symptoms completely reversed for good with the sleeve, bypass is much more reliable and scientifically proven. It seems nobody really knows why symptoms disappear with the sleeve, it is just nice that they do!

Keep the information coming, it is very much appreciated.

I was experiencing organ damage due to my Type 2 Diabetes. Medication and insulin wasn't controlling my levels. My PCP suggested the bariatric procedure and urged me to speak to a surgeon for which procedure would be best for me. The bypass blocks the portion of the stomach that causes the organ damage. I am 7 months post op. Down 85 lbs. I came home from the hospital off all diabetes pills. Within the week I was off insulin. After a couple months I was off high blood pressure meds. I only take thyroid replacement due to my thyroid being removed years ago. My blood tests show no further organ damage and my liver levels have improved. Sleeve or band wouldn't have been the solution for me.

Best of luck! You won't be disappointed with the bypass results.

My surgeon told me it was the ONLY way to toltally eliminate my chronic GERD. It was damageing my lower lobe of my lung. He said, with the RNY they bypass the part of the stomach that produces the acidic juice. Guess he was right...It is G O N E !!

My surgeon recommended the RnY because of my Type 2 Diabetes and because I had really bad acid reflux. I was taking high doses of insulin and Prilosec on a daily basis. 9 months post op and I take a fraction of the insulin I used to take and my sugars are close to normal levels. Also I have not had any acid reflux since having surgery.

Hi... great question. Alot of people asked me this. My surgeon told me since I have history of acid reflux that the sleeve was not an option for me. I really wanted the sleeve at first, I felt the bypass was so much more invasive... but I am 5 weeks out now and am so happy with my choice. I weigh in tomorrow. But last time I checked I was down 30lbs. I am hoping that I am under the 200 point tomorrow!! Fingers r crossed.

I was originally scheduled for the sleeve, but two weeks out my surgeon convinced me that the bypass was the better option because I have Barrett's esophagus and he didn't want to risk the increase acid reflux that is common with the sleeve. My GI doctor also recommended the bypass. 6 weeks out and I'm happy that is listened to these two very smart doctors. No regrets!

Hi,

I was banded to begin with and lost 60 pounds, but it wasn't easy and then I gained it all back and then some within 2 years. Additionally, I did not feel that the band was restricting enough and I could eat around it. Also there were many times the band tightened up on me, making it difficult to eat consistently. A few times my band adversely tightened to the point I could not even swallow my saliva.

When I had the opportunity for a revision, I thought about getting the sleeve, but I didn't want the chance of it not being restricting enough for me. I couldn't stand the thought of failing another WLS, so I chose the bypass. I was really scared, but my choice to get it has not left me with any regret.

I love the bypass and it serves me very well. I am 5.5 months out and have lost 90 pounds so far. I can feel when I need to stop eating. I feel more in control of portions. It is just so much easier and I get validation with the steady pounds that come off. I steadily lose 2-3 pounds per week (even as a "revisioner"; even with a recent loss of right side of my thyroid, putting me instantly into hypothyroidism).

If you choose the bypass, just make sure you are very diligent with Vitamins and getting enough protein/water and some form of exercise. Eating and drinking is still a challenge, but I am very happy about my revision to the bypass.

Hope this helps.