Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Once post op, is it easy to control your weight? For example, can you choose to gain and lose at will?

If I want to thicken up just a lil bit, could I just skip a few workouts and gain? My post op sleeve buddy says she kept losing even when she didn't want to and even while pregnant, she continued to lose. Is there a way to gain easily?

My concern is getting too small and then having personal issues with that. Being skinny has no appeal to me...I don't want this surgery to heal my issues physically then cause mental issues that I've never dealt with before.

How much control do we have with the sleeve?

Interesting question for sure. I'm not in a place yet where I'm worried about not losing. But in general, the sleeve is a calorie restriction device right. So if you want to slow down losing, increase your calories. I'm not sure it'd be healthy or advisable to TRY to go so far over your calorie target that you gain a significant amount. Why not just level off when you like what you look like? I bet that'd take the form of increasing your calories per day from say 900 to 1200 or something in that range.

I think the vets can weigh in better on getting to a maintenance weight and holding steady.

Good question.

I believe I can lose or gain easier now. I know what to do either way. I would say that, unlike before, it is a bit easier to lose it than to gain it.

Why? To gain weight I would have to eat things I don't really like and often. I like Protein and low glycemic vegetables. I don't like sweets or empty carbs. I would also have to be somewhat sedentary.

To lose it I just have to eat a bit less and move more.

Easy, peasy.

Wow - now that's a question for your NUT and your surgeon. Hopefully, you are pre-surgery so you can talk about this during your psychological evaluation.

It may be that this restrictive surgery isn't for you - and I'd guess "thickening up" is not that difficult to achieve.

Wow - now that's a question for your NUT and your surgeon. Hopefully, you are pre-surgery so you can talk about this during your psychological evaluation.

It may be that this restrictive surgery isn't for you - and I'd guess "thickening up" is not that difficult to achieve.

Yes, I'm pre-surgery and my psych eval is next week and my last appointment 2 weeks after that so the reality is setting in and the questions are gathering but I just wanted to know as much as possible about how much control over my life I will have with my new tool...it's still exciting to me either way..

Hi - read your post and wanted to share. I am 6 months post-op and I have to remind myself to eat. I go to the gym 3 times per week and feel a little more hungry on those days, but I'm quickly satiated with a Protein bar. I always have a Protein Bar no matter what - available for insurance (no temptation to grab a candy bar etc. If you go into this with the right mind set (healthy eating & exercise) you will love your new body and love shopping for the small size in clothes. I've gone from a size XL (don't know my actual pre-op size - always had stretch pants and big tops). Now I'm a size 4 and can wear xs or small. Love the new me - I feel so good about myself and I would love everyone who has a serious weight problem to consider this option - it works for many of us. Good luck.