Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need motivation

I've jus had my 2year anniversary with the band and I wasnt happy with where I stand today. Since September I've gained 17 pounds. It's like I've lost the will to fight. I want to get back on track but it's like I have forgotten wat to do. The struggle to do the right thing is very real. I feel like such a failure I feel like crying. I have no one to blame but me. Can anyone give me some pointers so I can get back on my journey. I know ultimately its up to me to do the work.

I think a little more information might help. Have you ever been filled and if so how much? What size is your band? Have you been following up with your Surgeon regularly and have you been up front with him/her on your struggles. If it has been a long time since seeing the Doc I would think then that would be the first step. You know you've gained 17lbs but the question is why or how? Are you eating a lot of slider foods? I would recommend starting to track your intake as it may help you find where the problem is.

Edit: Meant to mention I would recommend maybe talking with a nutrionist and bring along some food journals.

Good Luck and don't give up!!

Edited by Jim1967

Hi JDunn, glad you're here on the forum! I hope you're able to get your band working well for you. I'm going for a fill this afternoon. It will be my fourth one. I was banded in November and while I have been able to be "good" for most of the time through the holidays and so forth, I know the band is not really doing anything until I can get to the Green Zone. Most of us have never been able to sustain a diet and chose the LapBand to get out of that vicious cycle of deprivation and rebounding to the world of food. But there are choices we have to make, like no slider foods. I am also seeing a therapist to discuss food issues and why it is I sometimes sabotage myself or just want to throw in the towel. It's been helpful for me to address that head-on, to face up to addictions and have an objective third party to talk to once in a while. I think it is helping me with self-esteem and choosing myself and my health first. We can do this, JDunn -- we are here for each other! Best wishes to you......

I haven't had a pill in my last doc visits. And during those visits I was in track. I got married this past September and ate wat I wanted on my honeymoon. And since then it's like I do right some of the time mostly not doin right at all. Struggling to get to the gym. It's my own fault really.

Well JD you know what's up...you know what to do. Your not a failure, your a newlywed! Congrats! Now give yourself a break for what is in the past. Hopefully you had a great wedding and honeymoon and now it's time to focus on you and your band again.

Go back to basics, that's always the best place to start. Make an appointment with your doctor, discuss a fill if necessary and if not then ask for some advice in getting back on track. Go to a support group if you have one locally, or stop by the forums here and speak with other bandsters and find some inspiration.

Step one is already done....

what works for me (if i am miserable and woe is me and all the diet drama going round and round in my head) is look at a before picture of me at my highest (no neck, my a*ss with its own zip code, size 30 pants) AND that usually does the trick.....the motivation is there otherwise you wouldnt have had surgery.....find it if you want to lose weight and get healthy..you can do it.....but you must do what it takes to get it done.

i was either going to get bigger and bigger (and get cut out my house)

or do something about it.....what say you?

I've jus had my 2year anniversary with the band and I wasnt happy with where I stand today. Since September I've gained 17 pounds. It's like I've lost the will to fight. I want to get back on track but it's like I have forgotten wat to do. The struggle to do the right thing is very real. I feel like such a failure I feel like crying. I have no one to blame but me. Can anyone give me some pointers so I can get back on my journey. I know ultimately its up to me to do the work.

Motivation and determination is THE KEY to success especially with the lap band. You've already identified your issues, next you need to ACT.

First thing you need to do is determine if your band is working optimally for you, if not get fill adjustment that will help you in this in this struggle.

Next you need to get a plan and stick to it, you need to map out plan of what your meals should be, calorie intake, and exercise. If you make excuses and not stick to your plan you will fail.

Your plan should be something that you CAN do, start small and work your way up, such as exercise make a plan to incorporate a daily walk for about an hour into your day, pick a time that you can commit too.

If you have a problem eating the correct foods, seek additional help with a nutritionist, if you have deep eating disorders, you may need extra counseling.

Identify your weakness and fix them...YOU CAN DO THIS!! The Lap Band will only help make your weight loss easier, by dimming your appetite and reducing your meals, it's only a tool and if you don't use it wisely it will not work for you.

Good luck