Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Updates from former Dr. Garcia & Dr. Illan patients?

For my Dr. Illan patients...bougie size?

I am also planning on Dr Illan after much discussion and research. His coordinator Omar called me over Christmas just to chat and wish me all the best (and I haven't even been there yet) he wasn't selling anything he was just being Omar !! - lovely man.

I have been lucky to be in touch with several wonderful women who told me all about their experiences with Dr Illan and they have all echoed that they were given the most attentive and professional care. Good luck to you in your decision !!

I had my sleeve 5th Decembrr 2013. With the most talented team ever Dr Illan. My experience was so smooth. No complications nothing. Got to see quite alot of Tijuana thanks to the most amazing patient care coordinator Omar. Thanks to the people on Team Illan for helping me decide on a great surgeon. Taking my Dad in June. Yay. SW 268.5 SDW 255.3 CW 230.6 GW 145 TO 150.

Bougie size is 32French. Dr Illan patient.

Leslie, how did you get in touch with the ladies you spoke to for Dr. Illan? I spoke with Omar last night and he was very nice. I like the fact that he encouraged talking to patients as opposed to just taking his word for it. I am wanting to go at the end of February so I need to decide and get my plane tickets soon!

Leslie, how did you get in touch with the ladies you spoke to for Dr. Illan? I spoke with Omar last night and he was very nice. I like the fact that he encouraged talking to patients as opposed to just taking his word for it. I am wanting to go at the end of February so I need to decide and get my plane tickets soon!

. Irish, you can ask Omar to add you on the FB group Team Illan, and you will get a lot of good info there. Send me a PM if you want, and once you join you can friend request and I will accept. Sandi

I was sleeved with Dr. Garcia January 2nd , I also worried a little because not many people on here talking about Dr Garcia , I had the best experience ever ,, everyone there was so professional they take all the fear away from because they are great from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, I also had surgery in 2007 lapband with dr Sanchez in Monterry mx and I have to say I was blown away with the difference in care it was absolutely wonderful in Tijuana with Garcia and his team !!

I was sleeved with Dr. Garcia January 2nd , I also worried a little because not many people on here talking about Dr Garcia , I had the best experience ever ,, everyone there was so professional they take all the fear away from because they are great from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, I also had surgery in 2007 lapband with dr Sanchez in Monterry mx and I have to say I was blown away with the difference in care it was absolutely wonderful in Tijuana with Garcia and his team !!

Another Dr. Garcia patient here...My hospital experience was super-positive (I went alone, too) and I have lost 66 pounds since late June. I have had no complications whatsoever. In fact, I was so happy with the care I received in TJ that I encouraged my mom to have the same surgery with Dr. Garcia and she did, three months after me. Plus she went with a good friend of mine, whom Dr. Garcia also sleeved...LOL Both my mom and friend had really good experiences, as well.

I feel like I need to add, though: I do still get hungry--in fact I never really stopped feeling hunger. I am losing weight because I track my calories pretty carefully and I try not to go over 1000. And while it's so much easier to keep my intake low than it was pre-surgery, I know I could easily eat enough to maintain my weight--maybe even gain--and my mom is in the same boat.

My friend, on the other hand, never feels hungry and doesn't have to track calories...so maybe extra big, stretchy tummies just run in my family! ;)

I was a revision patient and I don't think I would of just went to anyone. That is why I chose Dr. Garcia. He is extremely skilled. When you have a revision you need to be careful of leaks. The probability is higher in revision patients. He did a phenomenal job and I am almost a year out. I went to Mi Doctor Hospital. HW 343 SW 258 CW 159. Good luck to you. Surgery Feb. 25, 2013. I also went alone and the staff was great.

post-165118-0-74629700-1389257131_thumb.jpg

post-165118-0-24708000-1389257138_thumb.jpg

Edited by tessies

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Melixxa, thanks for being honest about being hungry! It is something we have to learn to manage with choosing the right foods. Tessie, wow, what kind of work out are you doing??! You look great!!

<p>Thank you all for sharing your experiences!</p> <p> </p> <p>Melixxa, thanks for being honest about being hungry! It is something we have to learn to manage with choosing the right foods. Tessie, wow, what kind of work out are you doing??! You look great!! </p>

Thank you so much for your kind words! I started with the treadmill. Then once I was within 50 lbs of goal I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30 and Hard Body. I alternate weights with cardio. 20-25 mins a day.

I had my surgery in March of 2013 with Dr. Garcia. It was a great experience. I've lost a little over 160 pounds, and I'm about 20 pounds from goal. I have had no complications at all. I do monitor my calories closely, and I keep in contact with Dr. Garcia through his Facebook page. He is wonderful about answering any questions I have. I've even emailed him copies of some blood work that I had done here in the states at my 6 month post op point, and he looked it over and have me some advice. I would not hesitate to recommend him. (I had another friend use him, and she is doing well too...no complications or issues.)

I used to see alot of posts from patients of Dr. Fernando Garcia, but haven't seen anything in a while. I just scheduled for March and would love to hear updates from his former patients. Also, still have this nagging curiosity about Dr. Illan, so want to hear more from his patients as well. Updates, experiences etc. I have read through the board and have seen a few. Before I put my deposit down just want to make sure I am making the best decision for myself! They both seem like well qualified surgeons and either way I would be making a good choice. Just wondering if anything in particular sets them apart. Thanks!

I'm a Dr. Garcia patient and loving my sleeve! I was sleeved June 2013 at Florence Hospital. I have lost 71 lbs. Some people standards that's slow weight loss but I'm happy. I'm not dieting. Just trying to remember Protein first!

I also believe I had a 32 French bougie. I remember asking the female doctor there (cannot remember her name) what bougie size before the surgery. She said do I want a loose sleeve or tighter one. I said definitely tighter lol. I guess they made it that size. I was so sick for 2 days after that I didn't even think to ask. I was throwing up blood after surgery which didn't make me panic because I read it happened to others. I also went alone. I was fine. I still don't feel hunger and if I'm busy I can go all day without eating but I still have head hunger. I see/smell food I want it. I have to stop myself and think am I really hungry? Every time I realize I'm not. I find myself eating more junk food because of convenience but my restriction is still there but it works better when I eat protein first which is what they tell you to do. I work out 5 days a week at a gym at my work. I go on my lunch break. I eat first for about 15 minutes then spend the rest of the hour at the gym. I never had the desire to work out before. I still have to make myself go sometimes but once I get there I love it. I'm usually the only one there.

Edited by Olivia23

Dr. Garcia was my doctor and i have no regret. My surgery date was May 10, 2013. Surgery weight: 230 today I weigh 160; 5 more pounds to goal. I also opted for the single incision, which he did a great job. Dr. Garcia is always available through Facebook.

post-174182-0-13363900-1390063295_thumb.png

[ATTACH]40447[/ATTACH]

post-174182-0-48217700-1390063318_thumb.png

[ATTACH]40448[/ATTACH]

Edited by Liz210