Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coping with Body Image

It is so vitalizing to go back into my closet and see the couple of items I've saved from my old preBand days.....no matter how I might *feel* making a simple comparison of the Old 56/58 gym shorts I went the day of surgery, with what I wear now....

Like puppies growing into their monstrous paws, we of Tribe of the Morbidly Obese have all spent years or perhaps decades, having our sensitivities mangled by Harsh Realty and visions of being Normo Size.

I took me several years to actually believe what I was seeing, and even yet I have plenty to lose.

To quote Henry Ford, whether we think we can or think we can't, we are probably right.

I've come to prefer to think "I CAN".

My body image really is not the measure of WHO I AM anyway...

Like the puppies, Bandsters grow into their SMALLER paws.....physically AND emotionally. It just takes a little practice.

Edited by Jack

Hi,

I've have been a bandster since 2009. I actually went up to 341 before my band started working, or I should say . me doing the right things lol. I am now 227. I dont see myself as fat, but I have a issue with how to get rid of my excess skin. I joined the gym to firm up that way. My main form of exercise is walking. I love it. I have concidered surgery also, but mentally not ready for anymore surgery. My final step was to have my knee replaced, so I could exercise, and I had that done May 2013. Everyday I look at myself and smile. Hey lets face it, have more money in the pockets, smaller clothes are cheaper lol. I can even joke that I need my fat insolation, because boy do I feel the weather more now. Just look at your before pictures, and really look at your self now, thats all the inspiration you will need. Keep up the great work.

Body self image. Boy I've been dealing with this since July 2009 when I was banded. I feel exactly the same way as you! I have lost 65lbs on my own with the gastric band and recently another 15lbs was taken off via plastic surgery (body lift and brachioplasty). Now I'm 80 lbs less and really, really having some major body issues.

We all have to deal with this and honestly, I still felt "fat" after 65lbs gone. I felt strange buying clothes in "regular" sizes instead of plus sized. Because I had a lot of flappy skin hanging everywhere, I saw myself as fat, but just deflated, physically. It wasnt' until plastic surgery removed all of this in one momentous day last month that I feel closer to "normal"? Whatever normal is. It is very hard to re-change all my self talk at clothing stores: "I can't wear that style, my muffin top will show. The sleeves on that shirt will accentuate my flappy arms. My fat ass will never fit into those jeans since they are too slim and straight cut."

I'm having to buy a whole new wardrobe and honestly it takes trying stuff on and physically looking at myself in the mirror (a LOT) to re-wire my brain. I am 43 and have been overweight since age 8. It's tough. My therapist helps, but she is not trained to deal with weight loss patients specifically.

My gastric surgeon does offer support groups, but I never seem to connect with anyone there (not at the same stage as me, not willing to let go of an unhealthy lifestyle, non-compliant, in-active, etc). From my before and after pics.....your transformation looks exactly like mine :)

We both look older when we were fatter, and younger when skinny. I was 263lbs on my LapBand day in 2009 and now I am 184 (with residual swelling from my body lift). I want to be 163-ish by July 9, 2014 which will be my 5-year anniversary of the band.

In ways, I see a corollary with how we feel about ourselves somehow 'not measuring up' to the compulsion to over eat until we gag and get the slimes....."I haven't suffered enough yet".

The ease with which we can feel guilt and depession today for the eating sins of last year, while assigning the unfulfilled expectations of a slim healthier tomorrow, remains a mystery.

The recipe for sucess requres ACTION!

Every day we take a step in the direction of our goal. There is no time to waste on distractions. We have energy to focus on that one step.

Cheer to all of us on our journey.

Edited by Jack