Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What 3 things do u wish u had been told?

Jen,

Great advice! I am so excited and can't wait to have my life begin!

Oh yeah, I thought I would add this: it's weird, but several women became pregnant after surgery! I had the Mirena implant, but I also developed fibroids which was not visible until I lost some of that fat! Now my doctors have a better handle on my whole being!

1. My experiences may not be like everyone else's, but I thought I would feel like doing more in the hospital than I did: I brought laptop, books, stationery. I watched tv and visited with my hubby and that was all I did! All the things I brought, I did not need.

2. Water, Water, water. I have never been as good as drinking water as I should be. As I have gained10-12#, i'm just now getting back into drinking the water. Yes, I was told to drink water, but never realized how invaluable it is to continued weight loss. Loved flavored water, crystal light or mio.

3. Support-you have to have someone in your corner who will unconditionally love and support you. I had my husband, daughters and sister and brother in law-they all made such a difference.

4. Since #2 we've all been told about, I thought I would add to make use of your pre-op time by setting up recipes that can easily be made up in advance of your surgery that you can have when you get home. Either make and freeze the recipes, or just write them up on recipe cards for your post op life. I still have a hard time making Protein rich breakfasts when I have to run to work. All the best!

Periods! I started mine the day after surgery and it felt like it lasted forever! I wasn't expecting to bleed so much and for so long. Be prepared...it's normal :-)

Periods! I started mine the day after surgery and it felt like it lasted forever! I wasn't expecting to bleed so much and for so long. Be prepared...it's normal :-)

Yeah, I forgot about that and I was on the Mirena! I had it removed and the first couple of cycles were crazy! Add hormonal imbalances to that.....

i wish i would have known more about complications and had an idea that id be the person with every problem.

if you have a gallbladder even with no problems find a doc who will take it out during your procedure

Protein and Water and just how important they truly are

The first two I thought for sure I was bleeding to death! :blink: Of coarse I was on blood thinners still the first time around so that may have played factor into it, the second time was better then the first, but still bad. My third is about normal to what it was back when I was having it regularly anyways. Definatly the first was worse!!!

6 weeks post RNY by pass! Thrilled with each step! Nothing like I thought it could be! Down 45#s

1. Thought at age 65 that the hormone changes would pass me by! Nope.. First week I felt weepy and I am not normally like that!

2. Forgot about the dreaded stalls but you are still losing inches and they do level out and you'll lose again! My first one at four weeks lasted 11 days! ECK. !!

3. How much more energy I have now and didn't have 45#s ago! Awesomeness

Hi,

1. Constipation and constant gas.

2. Be more proactive. (All the info and visits I have had at my bariatric clinic have been great, but at the end of the day it's my journey, and it's up to me to educated myself, explore this new world I am living in, and make the right choices.)

3. Nature's Best Isopure. I was so burnt out on Protein shakes at week 5, that I had to pinch my nose to drink them. No one at the clinic told me about Isopure, again, being more proactive. Now, I drink a bottle a day, and I get 40 of my 100 grams of Protein. They have a great variety of flavors and most of them taste great. They are a bit pricey, but when I think about how much money I use to spend on fast food and eating out, they are worth every penny.

Edited by trever

1. Enjoy the hospital drugs. Don't let pain get ahead of you during that time as you will need your energy for walking and doing basic stuff.

2. Probiotics, stool softeners, and as much Water as you can get down. It's even more important than eating if you have to make a choice between the two. Don't drink enough Water, and not only will you not lose efficiently, but you will have terrible Constipation. Stay on top of it.

3. If you are concerned about anything that might have to do with your surgery after you get home from the hospital, call your surgeon's office. It's better to be safe than sorry. Plus you or your insurance will pay them a ridiculous amount of money, so make sure you get all the help you need.

4. Bonus time! Head hunger is real. Real hunger is either nonexistent or feels completely different after surgery. Stop and think before you eat which one it is. Most of the time it will be head hunger.

5. Bonus bonus time! You may learn things about yourself you didn't expect. It may even be disturbing revelations sometimes. Just be kind to yourself and give yourself time to process it all.

Edited by bloreorbust