Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Georgia ??

I would also like to see the plateau breaking diet!

Hello all-

Another fellow Georgian here. I live in Decatur, and will have to be self pay b/c my insurance won't cover :cry and I am looking for some referrals from those who have done self-pay. I've been reading up online about doctors in the area and the only doctor I've read that offers discounts to self pay patients is Dr. Michael Williams in Alpharetta.

I'm willing to travel to a surrounding state if it would save on costs. :help:

Just reading your posts in this thread is inspiring. I hope to find a doctor soon!

I am self pay. Dr. Bagnato in Albany, GA. It was $17,400.00. I dont know what your doc charges, but my cost includes lifetime fills, up to 6 per calendar year.

I went to Dr. Huacuz in TJ, Mexico because I was a self pay also. My total cost for surgery, care, and round trip airfair was $8,000. I had a great experience and was very impressed with the Dr. and the facility. My family freaked out when they found out I wanted to do this, and they blew a gasket when they found out it was in MX. I told my dad I really wanted this and it was half the price if I went to MX. I did my research, found a great doctor, and told him no matter what I was doing this. His major concern was that I'd come home with a major staff infection or my organs messed up. He finally conceded and said he would support me on one condition, If I got there and didn't feel safe or comfortable, and the facility was not clean to immediately leave. Well, I got there and everything was fabulous. I would do it again in a heartbeat. This experience was my first time leaving the country and flying, and I did it by myself. I found a website called group lapband trip to mexico and filled out their intrest form and was immediately called by the patient coordiator (Melissa), who immediately scheduled me for the next trip. She arranged everything for me, my flight and all. She met me at San Diago airport, with another woman who was having the surgery as well, and we crossed the boarder and within 15mins were at the facility. She stayed with me and the other woman the whole time. It was a great experience. I just wanted to tell you all who are intrested to not discount going to Mexico for the surgery, there are some very good doctors there, and in my opinion, they took better care of me than I have every recieved in an American hospital.

Thanks for the responses. ;)

Your experience in Mexico does sound quite nice.

My father is paying for my surgery and has banned any out of the country options, but in the next breath says he doesn't want to pay too much for it...I'm stressing over trying to find a doctor. My primary doctor is in my hometown, which is in west Georgia, and there are no doctors around there that do the surgery.

I'm looking at doctors around Atlanta and some in Alabama (B'ham/Anniston area).

I was banded by Dr. Williams on the 14th. It was a very good experience. Cost was ~22,000 self-pay. That includes follow-ups for 1 year. I went to North Fulton Hospital. He also works out of Emory in Johns Creek.

I just found out my policy covers the lap band procedure so now I am trying to decide on a surgeon. I've seen alot on here about Dr. Scott Steinberg and Dr. Edward Lin. Can anyone give me a phone number, email or webpage so that I can get in touch with them?

Thanks

Dr. Lin (404) 778-5673 - He is with Emory Bariatrics. My Dr., Scott Davis is also with Emory Bariatrics. I really like them. They have been very helpful and thorough.

I loved Dr. Steinberg AND his staff. His number is 404-501-7903. He is a general surgeon in addition to doing the bariatric surgery. The above number is the weight loss center. His partner is Dr. Menacherry and I had trouble deciding between the two of them. Dr. Menacherry assisted in my surgery.