Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz- $500 for endoscopy or barium swallow?!?!?!

I just got my paperwork from Dr. Ortiz's office and it says if I end up needing either one of these, I have to pay an extra $500!

What are the odds of me needing to do this? Did anyone else end up needing to have an endoscopy or barium swallow?

Also, I could refuse the test right? I'd much rather come home & do it with my PCP and have my insurance cover it instead of paying $500 effing dollars!

I just got back from there and an endoscope was never mentioned. We all got barium swallows on the 3rd day, which is standard postop protocol with no extra charge. Maybe they mean if you have complications and need a scope or extra barium swallow while you are there. I'd ask your coordinator about it.

The only extra charge while I was there was $160 for meds.... 5 days antibiotics, 2 weeks anti-ulcer/anti-nausea, 4 days pain meds (which I only used 3 days) and 2 months PPI. We were also given the option to have a pathologist look at the removed part of our stomach for any abnormalities. It would be a $150 charge and I declined.

Just remember that this is a major surgery and while most people don't have any issues or complications, I think it would be very important to find out how your surgeon would handle it if there were and what you would be financially responsible for. Also if you do have any complications or problems be sure that your stateside insurance will cover you If you have to go back to your home town - many will not for elective surgeries especially outside the country.

Just remember that this is a major surgery and while most people don't have any issues or complications, I think it would be very important to find out how your surgeon would handle it if there were and what you would be financially responsible for. Also if you do have any complications or problems be sure that your stateside insurance will cover you If you have to go back to your home town - many will not for elective surgeries especially outside the country.

True. My insurance specifically excludes any WLS or treatments or procedures related to WLS unless the procedure is necessary to correct a life threatening condition. Which basically means they would make sure the docs did everything possible (with all the costs on me) to avoid something they would actually have to pay for.

As for complications while you are there, you may search for posts from Slvrsax and/or PM her. She had some issues related to her specific anatomy that required a second surgery. OCC took care of everything and she is now home and doing well. I met her while I was down for my surgery. Not sure if she incurred extra charges.

Edited by Kindle

This is great information. Thank you for the responses.

I figured some kind of leak test should/would be covered at OCC. Didn't make sense that they'd try to charge extra for what's really an integral part of this procedure.

My insurance does cover WLS w/o any life threatening caveats so I'll call them and see what they say about how they handle complications from Medical Tourism.< /span>

I'm making a lot of financial sacrifices to do this so things are obviously very tight budget wise!

I did have some issues due to my anatomy.  I had my sleeve done on 12/16.  By 12/17 I could not keep down fluids.  After a barium swallow, I was scoped and a small hernia was found (might have given that to myself because I vomited that morning) and it a good deal of scar tissue was discovered in my esophagus caused by years of acid reflux, scar tissue that had accumulated for quite some time.  The docs had NO way of knowing that would be there.  I had never had a single symptom of acid reflux.  The surgeons are on top of things, they know what they're doing.  You're hiring professionals at the top of their game - extra cost or not please trust their judgment.  It is worth every penny!  They took immediate action and I couldn't be more grateful.  

Thanks for the input, Slvrsax (didn't mean to drag you into anything :)). I'm just really impressed by how they took care of your issues so quickly and how well you're doing now.

Kittychick, you can call or email your coordinator (Lori or Carolyn) with any questions or concerns or details you are wondering about. Believe me, I have a whole separate OCC file in my inbox for the dozens of questions I asked. I practically had Carolyn on "speeddial email" before surgery.

I definitely appreciate the response. Thank you SlvrSax

Trust me, I know that whatever I need will be "worth every penny", it's coming up with those pennies that would be the issue.

But, I have to remind myself how rare complications are and have faith that I'll be fine.