Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm back after 7 years... here's my story

I would like to share my story and get some feedback, I believe mostly for courage. In Nov 2007 I had lap band surgery... I was so excited and could hardly wait to have it done. At the time, my ins company did not pay for the surgery, so as most of you on here have found out, you have to get private loans... well after all of this and the whole process builidng up to the surgery, the day finally arrived! I had my surgery for lap band, only to have it removed in April 2008. I had a very bad infection that would not let liquids or food pass thru to my stomach. I lost approx 100 lbs but nearly died in the process. When I had my band removed I spent a week in the hospital with a drain hanging out of my stomach.

After my surgery failed I became very depressed because I felt like nothing would save me at that point. I kept the weight off for about a year but slowly it crept up on me. For one reason or should I say excuse after another, i found a way to eat myself back to where I was and way beyond.

For the past 7 years I have lied to myself thinking it didn't matter if I was fat or not... I have been my biggest supporter of that thinking and I look at myself and see just where that has gotten me. I've always been the class clown and its easy poking fun at myself but deep down I don't like me too much for what I have done. I have missed out on sooooo many things because its just easier to hide behind the pain and food then to deal with life.

I never have thought of myself as an "emotional" eater, but I eat because I'm hungry... I wish I had an on off switch for this but I don't... I wish I could wake up and not be hungry all the time... Food has controlled my life for soooo stinkin long, and I can truly say that I am an addict. I crave it, I will do whatever means in order to have it, I hide it, I have ALL the characteristics of an addict, only mine is with food...

I found out about 3 weeks ago that I have severe arthiritis in my knees, I'm bone to bone on both and can barley walk it hurts so bad. They told me there is nothing they can do for me because of my age... my ortho doc even said if I weighed 189 he still wouldn't do the surgery. But he was very very crase and told me I had to loose weight. Well after everything health wise that I have bben thru this was the real deal. To imagine not being able to walk much longer if I don't do something about my weight is just unacceptable to me!! As hard as it was to hear I made a huge decission. I got home called my insurance co and lucky enough they will help pay for bariatric surgery in 2014!!!

As excited as I am about this, I am VERY apprehensive about it at the same time. I have lots of concerns as this sugery will not be able to be reversed if something goes wrong. I have discussed this with my primary doctor but I still have my worries.

I will go to my mandatory meeting on Jan 11 and then hopefully after that I will be able to start everything else. I just wanna make sure all my ducks are in a row with my insurance so I will be contacting them again after the first of the year to make sure. There's so much to do, as I have gone thru this all before but not with the insurance part.

So if any of you out there can help calm some of my nerves about all of this I'd really appreicate it!!

Thank you!!!! :)

Good luck with everything !!! I always believe what's going to happen will happen. There are horror stories but there are also some amazing life changing stories .. I lost 125 lbs in 8 months ...it hasn't always been easy but it's been worth it

I don't know if this helps but my mum just had her right knee done 4 weeks ago - she was so bad, she was hobbling around for years. When her consultant took a look at her x-rays, she told her that both knees were now bone on bone and in the right knee a bone chip had dislodged and that was adding to the pain.

You will find a doctor who will do this for you! I don't know how old you are but someone will be able to give you knee replacements.

The only other thing I would say is that my mum wishes she'd lost her excess weight before the surgery because the swelling is so bad - I guess the more flesh you have, the more there is to swell. She was miserable with it for the first couple of weeks but I think she's turned a corner now.

Good luck to you.

I would like to share my story and get some feedback, I believe mostly for courage. In Nov 2007 I had lap band surgery... I was so excited and could hardly wait to have it done. At the time, my ins company did not pay for the surgery, so as most of you on here have found out, you have to get private loans... well after all of this and the whole process builidng up to the surgery, the day finally arrived! I had my surgery for lap band, only to have it removed in April 2008. I had a very bad infection that would not let liquids or food pass thru to my stomach. I lost approx 100 lbs but nearly died in the process. When I had my band removed I spent a week in the hospital with a drain hanging out of my stomach.

After my surgery failed I became very depressed because I felt like nothing would save me at that point. I kept the weight off for about a year but slowly it crept up on me. For one reason or should I say excuse after another, i found a way to eat myself back to where I was and way beyond.

For the past 7 years I have lied to myself thinking it didn't matter if I was fat or not... I have been my biggest supporter of that thinking and I look at myself and see just where that has gotten me. I've always been the class clown and its easy poking fun at myself but deep down I don't like me too much for what I have done. I have missed out on sooooo many things because its just easier to hide behind the pain and food then to deal with life.

I never have thought of myself as an "emotional" eater, but I eat because I'm hungry... I wish I had an on off switch for this but I don't... I wish I could wake up and not be hungry all the time... Food has controlled my life for soooo stinkin long, and I can truly say that I am an addict. I crave it, I will do whatever means in order to have it, I hide it, I have ALL the characteristics of an addict, only mine is with food...

I found out about 3 weeks ago that I have severe arthiritis in my knees, I'm bone to bone on both and can barley walk it hurts so bad. They told me there is nothing they can do for me because of my age... my ortho doc even said if I weighed 189 he still wouldn't do the surgery. But he was very very crase and told me I had to loose weight. Well after everything health wise that I have bben thru this was the real deal. To imagine not being able to walk much longer if I don't do something about my weight is just unacceptable to me!! As hard as it was to hear I made a huge decission. I got home called my insurance co and lucky enough they will help pay for bariatric surgery in 2014!!!

As excited as I am about this, I am VERY apprehensive about it at the same time. I have lots of concerns as this sugery will not be able to be reversed if something goes wrong. I have discussed this with my primary doctor but I still have my worries.

I will go to my mandatory meeting on Jan 11 and then hopefully after that I will be able to start everything else. I just wanna make sure all my ducks are in a row with my insurance so I will be contacting them again after the first of the year to make sure. There's so much to do, as I have gone thru this all before but not with the insurance part.

So if any of you out there can help calm some of my nerves about all of this I'd really appreicate it!!

Thank you!!!! :)

Hi Crazy8

I think most of us can echo so much of what you say...I know I can. Especially hiding feelings through humor., enduring other problematic health issues that are a result of or exacerbated because of weight.

I'm hoping to get my second chance soon. And that's how I'm going to look at it after gaining all my weight back after a sleeve, a second chance. My surgeon told me I'm a good candidate for the bypass, so I hope it won't be too long.

I too have arthritis but mine is in my back so can empathize with physical pain.I hope after your WLS you get to have those knees sorted. I have heard of other people getting total knee replacements so I know it's possible for you...perhaps you should try to get another doctor re this.

All the best xxx

Good for you! I appreciate your courage and honesty.. I think many if us have a food addiction, and this relationship with food has to change whether we have surgery or not..

RNY is a good tool for me as I now examine why I wanted to eat compulsively, and I now deal with emotions rather than stuffing them with food. Working with a counselor and support group really helps me.

I hope your RNY goes well, and that you find an answer to your other pain issues as well.

Hi! Congrats on upcoming RNY! What a way to jump start life and start rebuilding after the band experience. I too have struggled with food addiction and emotional eating. It's a rough thing that is real and can cause so many problems. The good news is any weight loss will help your health and also the mobility. Rny is the gold standard in obesity surgery and has the most proven data to support that claim. It's definitely a step in the right direction. It's normal to have some

Nervous apprehension about such a huge change and surgery coming up in your life. I encourage you to speak with someone that can help guide you with these feelings as well as talk about the food addiction. Wishing u the best and can't wait to hear from u and how things are going! Congrats! Good luck!

Sorry I hit some key and it post the Hi... don't know which one...every site is different and I not a quick learner.

I had total knee replacement of both knees 45 lbs ago. My knees surgery was wonderful no pain afterwards, none. Now I am back to pain because of the 45 lbs. The doctor either wants you to lose weight or you are way too young. My daughter is way too young and she is definitely not overweight but our doctor will not replace her knee. I don't know how old you are so it may be age, knees can only be replaced once.

I am in this forum to read about your experiences before and after surgery. I am just starting my journey ... ooo hate that word.. but that is what this is a journey into the unknown for me.

What is this pre-surgery diet? I have not seen a doctor yet. I am still trying to figure out where to have the surgery, guess I could call it RNY... What are the most common after effects? Besides throwing up.. that's all I had heard about ever since this started in the 80's....

Crazy8, I hear you Babe when you say it's an addiction to food... just like any other addiction... and the worst one.... you have to have food to live. You don't need cigarettes to live so you can give up smoking and not have to touch them or hold them, see them, or smell them.... you know what I mean... but food .. aahhh .. we have to have it... and for some reason it is our addiction of choice.. I'm a happy drunk I wish I could drink but I think I am allergic to alcohol so I eat... I hide food, I stuff my face on my way home and hide the wrappers if I can't throw them out the window and I feel so guilty about that with the guilt about eating.... I am seeing a therapist and she is the very best one I have ever seen, I've had a few. We have had great successes in other parts of my life so I know with her help and this surgery I will be successful.

Any suggestions from you ladies and men about what questions to ask, what foods are good, just anything that help get a little bit more knowledgeable before I jump in.

Thank you so much for reading and I have to tell you I have a quirky sense of humor, please bear with me, my family does not know where I came from I am like none of them (except for my grandmother and her sister's sizes).