Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed Today After A Long Battle

Almost 18 months ago when I had lap band surgery I thought wow when I lose all this weight I will feel like a million bucks, well that didn't happen. I've struggled since day one, not with eating, physically. I have not been able to exercise at all, I have loose skin everywhere. For the past several weeks I've undergone testing for several things and today I headed to Nashville for the results, certainly not what I wanted to hear, I was diagnosed with Lupus. Thank goodness it hasn't affected my kidneys or liver yet just has damaged my muscles and joints along with other symptoms. Today was a shocker to say the least. The dr prescribed Plaquenil and he was quick to say that it will make me sick at first like vomit sick but that should subside. Wish me luck I start the med tomorrow.

All I wanted to do 17 months ago was to get healthy and thinner. I just have to keep in mind that the good Lord never puts too much on us that we can't handle. I can handle this!!!

oh man, so very sorry. i wish you well. i was just wondering if they deflated your band? if the new drug you are taking could cause vomiting i would think perhaps the band should be deflated. but i wish you well, and that the medication starts making you feel better soon

Almost 18 months ago when I had lap band surgery I thought wow when I lose all this weight I will feel like a million bucks, well that didn't happen. I've struggled since day one, not with eating, physically. I have not been able to exercise at all, I have loose skin everywhere. For the past several weeks I've undergone testing for several things and today I headed to Nashville for the results, certainly not what I wanted to hear, I was diagnosed with Lupus. Thank goodness it hasn't affected my kidneys or liver yet just has damaged my muscles and joints along with other symptoms. Today was a shocker to say the least. The dr prescribed Plaquenil and he was quick to say that it will make me sick at first like vomit sick but that should subside. Wish me luck I start the med tomorrow.

All I wanted to do 17 months ago was to get healthy and thinner. I just have to keep in mind that the good Lord never puts too much on us that we can't handle. I can handle this!!!

I am sorry to read of your Dx, but at least now you know what you have to,cope with, and it is doable. My Dx with Systemic Lupus was nearly 25 years in the making...and it is something you definitely can learn to live with.

There are many resources for you to learn more about this disease, and receive emotional support from others who are walking along similar paths.

I was on a Plaquenel regimen several years ago. It is a strong drug, but not everyone has vomiting. I felt very nauseaus at first, but it resolved after a week or so.

I find it helps me immensely to get my rest, and to manage stress to stay more serene. Anything is possible with the right dedication and determination.

My diagnosis does not define me, it is only something I need to be aware of and take measures to keep it in remission.

Sorry to read this; a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease is always a shock. I work with a young woman with Lupus and she says what the poster above has suggested--as long as she manages her sleep/diet, she stays in remission and has a normal life. You'd never know she has an autoimmune disease, in fact, except for that she no longer can go out every night of the week! She young (in her late 20s) so this was the biggest adjustment for her...just making sure she got enough sleep.

Sending supportive thoughts to you.

Hi Donna, sending you very best wishes. I'm so glad you have good medical professionals and a clear diagnosis. Knowing what you're dealing with is a big step in the right direction, though it's overwhelming at first and now a new medication adjustment. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Sorry you have to deal with this Donna. I know you have been through a lot but you have proven how strong you are. I will pray for you!

Sorry to hear this, but like others said at least you now know and can learn to manage it.

May our good Lord bless you. Follow all your doctor's instructions in this new ordeal and maybe they can stabilize this illness quickly.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

Donna - I'm so sorry to hear this. Life certainly throws punches out of left field! But at least now you have an explanation for what's been going on with you, and you can learn to manage it. Not always easy, but I feel confident that you can do it. And even MORE important now, that you eat healthy and take good/better care of your body.

I think it would be a good idea to talk with your surgeon about all of this. If this new drug may cause vomiting, he may want to empty the band until you're past the adjustment phase. Just a thought….. Please keep us posted.

Hi Donna,

You are a strong lady, and you have never given up on yourself and you have an amazing bunch of people here to support you and care for you.

It is uplifting to see everyone reaching out to embrace someone with love and kindness when they need it. Donna you are a warrior, and I admire you and believe in you!!!

Feel better soon my friend!

Now you know what you are dealing with! Your band has helped you in the past and will see you to a healthy life ahead. My band has saved my life and yours is there ready so use so do your best! Better roads ahead and wishing you smooth traveling. . . . . . .

:wub:

So sorry Donna. I know you have been through a lot. Hope you get some sunshine and happiness in the days ahead. Sending prayers and hugs to you.

thank you all for the prayers and well wish and many virtual hugs. I was so overwhelmed last night that I couldn't even spell "diagnosed" right. sheesh.

@ Carole thanks for your insight on Plaquenil and thank all of you for your suggestions on talking to my lap band surgeon about an unfil if it is going to make me sick. As much as I hate to do that because I'm a great place with my band but I need to do what's best for my health right now and work with my band as best as I can and stay with Portion Control and discipline.

Donna