Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Reasons I Would Never Recommend This Surgery To Anyone Anymore.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your responses. I really want to simply open a dialog about this because it's a reality that some of us around here face and as this surgery gains more and more traction will become more and more common.

Someone posted above that their surgeon did not sell this surgery to them. I can unfortunately report that my surgeons did (and they're fantastic surgeons) but at the end of the day that is their livelihood and by the time I showed up their practice was already a well oiled machine. There were times I felt like they were herding us in like cattle. And I imagine that is how a successful surgeons office operates (literally and figuratively) but I've also noticed that this practice is a cash cow and a lot of less qualified and less knowledgeable surgeons are jumping on board. I think this is the case with my friend and now she is paying the price. I just hope her price is not an ongoing battle and that life becomes easier for her soon.

I love reading all of your stories, there are some amazing people who frequent these boards and I am grateful for all of you.

One of the things that I will always remember is that old expression...There is always someone who stands out in your mind forever...Well I am going to be that patient for my surgeon....He has taken a personal interest in my welfare and is constantly looking out for me....When I went septic, his personal nurse told me later on that he sobbed like a baby....this is not a job to him, this is his baby...He could make tons of money on other surgeries but he feels that the abuse and self loathing that obese people get and feel is not worth their lives if he can do something about it....i admire him for that and was treated like a queen by his personal staff....

They see me coming and there is all smiles and sheer happiness to see me....That is the way they should all be with any surgery....Do it because they want to help people......not make money..you know!!!!!!!!!!

You have one of the most incredible stories of anyone I've ever heard on these boards. In fact, when I was talking to my friend and telling her to come to these boards for some guidance I was in the back of my mind hoping she would find your story because you have been through hell and your attitude about it is so inspiring to people. Especially if they're going through even a little bit of what you went through.

Thank you RJ for shining your light our way.

Thank you for telling me how you feel...I am on here for the same reasons as everyone else to give this new life my perspective of it...If I can be encouraging to your friend...message me privately and I would be glad to help her where I can...maybe she would talk to me via email...I am here for the sleevers 100 %

Great post. I don't think I would recommend this surgery per se either...I am open and honest and try to stress that its not a miracle surgery when people ask about it. Especially to the ones that ask you how much you have lost every.single.day.

Great post. I don't think I would recommend this surgery per se either...I am open and honest and try to stress that its not a miracle surgery when people ask about it. Especially to the ones that ask you how much you have lost every.single.day.

That's just rude..The nerve...hey..I would not answer but ask in return how much they have gained today....okay maybe not! But I would ask why they thought they had the right to ask?

From Laura Ven:

"THIS IS MAJOR SURGEY and should be the last resort after all avenues have been exhausted.
There are risks but if you are fat enough those risks are outweighed by the benefits..."

When asked I answer any questions that I can, refer 'em to this board, and remind them to consider EVERYTHING else before major (and permanent) surgery.

I do not advocate, but I do support.

THANKS for the post!!!

First of all my heart goes out to you and your friend. As a nurse all my life being side by side with a Dr no one is a perfect A, Doing proper research and I sure your Dr made you sign on the dotted line like all surgeries there can be complications. So you knew what you where getting yourself involved with . We are adults and responsible for our choices and just because you had a good outcome doesn't mean another will. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friend but PLEASE DON'T SAY YOU DON'T RECOMMEND ON A FORUM ! This sleeve has saved many many lives of people on this forum.

Endless80 said "There were times I felt like they were herding us in like cattle."

I had my band at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. I definitely felt like I was just a number there,and one of the cattle being herded through the process. I didn't feel the support either pre or post op. I had the band because I needed colon surgery and the colon surgeon said too dangerous at 308.. He walked me over to the bariatric surgeons office and explained the situation. After the band I developed an infection and was unable to reach anyone in the bariatric surgeon's office. I had to contact my primary doctor. It was a weekend, but in a large hospital like Brigham and Women's when you call the number on the discharge paperwork, you expect a response. I may have been a fluke, but I was not impressed, felt like a number.

Fast forward to my pending sleeve experience at North Shore Medical Center in Salem, MA. I've felt like the testing and pre-op process was extremely thorough. Although at times it's seemed annoying and excessive, I know it's for my own safety. Everyone I've encountered in the program is genuinely caring. They don't seem rushed, and take the time to respond to my questions and concerns.

So much depends on where you go and the quality of the surgeon. It's important that they do all that annoying prequalification, and that they are sure I'm as physically and emotionally ready for this life changing event. We are all making a decision, and when I weigh my obesity health risks with the risk of this surgery, the surgery wins!

Really glad the OP started this thread. So much food for thought and important reading for anyone contemplating this or any WLS. I think that when this surgery is successful and w/o complications the resulting weight loss can seem magical. But it's really just math, we eat way less than we burn. (If I could have gotten myself to do that w/o surgery I would have!) The surgery is a tool but not a cure because we can defeat the surgery with our behavior. Almost everyone experiences some regain eventually. I think it's very important to go into this or any WLS armed with as much information as possible and eyes wide open to all the risks. ANY surgery is a risk and that is the reality. Please let go of your guilt about your co-worker but not your concern and support. I hope things get easier for her ASAP!

One of the things that struck me is that at my pre-op appointment I spent 10 minutes reading and signing 5-10 pages of paperwork that essentially said, "I understand that I could die." That means (to me) it is serious. In contrast, when I had my gallbladder out, or some female surgery…I signed the same paperwork but it was not nearly as complex or as emphasized.

All that said, yes…for me it has been miracle surgery so far. There is simply nothing I could have done that would give me these results and I tried for years. Do I love it all the time? No. But even 6 weeks out I feel like the benefits are already outweighing the disadvantages. Everybody's mileage may vary on this one.

I had been sleeved for a little over a year when my mother-in-law had her sleeve done. I was so nervous about it because I felt like she would blame me if anything went wrong.

When I first had my sleeve, she made it a point to say she'd never have WLS. Then two of her siblings died within a year's time from heart-related problems. She went to see a cardiologist because she was scared, and he told her she needed to get WLS. so she started asking me questions. She went to my surgeon's office and even ended up with my surgeon.

In the end, her surgery went well. She's lost around 70 pounds and is very happy. She tells people that I saved her life by telling her about WLS. She is just so much more active and happier with herself, but it was really the cardiologist that made her start looking into WLS.

She is pushing her daughter to get WLS. When I started, my BMI was 39/40, my mil's BMI was 48/49. My sister-in-law probably has a BMI in the high 50s if not into the 60s.

I have not talked to my sister-in-law about my WLS. She has a lot of health complications. I hope she is able to lose weight, but I don't have the magic ticket. I know that I would again be very worried about the outcome if she ended up getting the WLS.

I am so sorry to hear about the complications of your friend which you described in your original post. I'm even more sorry that you have made the initial decision to stop telling your story. I understand your feeling of guilt and how you feel you contributed to the pain your friend is experiencing. However, it's not your fault. You gave her your testimony of your experience and the rest of the events were her responsibility (more accurately as it sounds, the lack of responsibility by her surgery center). I hope you find peace and continue in your successful transformation.

This is a very interesting topic for sure! I'm truly sorry about your friend who is experiencing complications. That IS scary but it's also NOT your fault.

This is a bit off-topic, but I subscribe to something called Nutrition Action Newsletter. It takes a hard look at what we eat, etc. and comes from the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

http://cspinet.org/nah/index.htm

Anyway an incredibly healthy woman wrote to the editor saying basically, "look you all promote healthy eating, exercising, etc. and I did ALL of that, I ate a super-healthy diet, I exercise, maintained my weight (which was like 125lbs or something) my whole adult life, and YET I still got cancer. I beat it and I'm so happy about that, but I just want you to know that even with doing ALL THE RIGHT THINGS doesn't protect you from having bad things happen to you." I'm totally paraphrasing, but it was definitely an eye-opener for me.

Like Laura said...you get in the car and go to the grocery store and make it home. Somewhere, someone did NOT make it home and they did the EXACT same thing as you.

Again, I'm so sorry about your friend and I'm hoping she will be like many of the other sleevers who experience a complication, that eventually they will get better, feel better, and get to that place where they are happy that they had this done.

As for sharing...well, I'm quite open here, and in the bariatric community, but I would never be the one to "suggest" that someone have surgery. I wish that my own brother would look into it but I honestly can't make him do that. And I refuse to push him into "looking into" having any type of surgery. Being on this journey myself, I realize that everyone has to come to their own decisions, in their own time frame, and for their own reasons.