Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Smell Since Surgery

Sorry, but it's true.

I read an entry weeks back about a woman who said her husband was noticing/complaining about her new "odor" since surgery. She said it was due to Ketosis happening.

Well, I thought it odd, but now I seem to be in the same predicament. It's like a new body odor that I can constantly smell. EVEN after showering, I just have a different smell to me. And while my husband looks at me like I have 2 heads when I ask him if he notices, It's very annoying.

I can't actually tell if it's just a "smell" in my nostrils or what it is, but it definitely is coming from me. Sometimes it smells like onion but it's always a savory weird smell. Sorry to be gross.

Anyone else brave enough to chime in on this one? ha ha

I have the exact opposite since surgery. I have very little to no smell. It's equally weird.

Do you think possibly the smell is amplified due to surgery? I've always had trouble with strong smells, but there are some things I just can't stand smelling at all sometimes since surgery. Protein powder smell, seafood smell, any food at all after I've just eaten.

i have developed this uncanny sense of smell since surgery. I can smell food on peoples' clothes and identify where they ate or what they ate. Also, peoples' breath is especially strong to me now. I don't think that I smell, though.

I felt like I smelled bad after surgery. I had a drain for a week, and the drain was part of it. Protein also smells bad, so it gave me ad breath. Ketosis also makes you smell bad since you breakdown the fat and it comes out in your breath and your waste.

I kept sugarfree mints with me and drank a lot of Water, which seemed to help. It did get better. I feel like my biggest source was the drains.

It is also possible that my nose was just more sensitive for a while.

I felt like I smelled bad after surgery. I had a drain for a week, and the drain was part of it. Protein also smells bad, so it gave me ad breath. Ketosis also makes you smell bad since you breakdown the fat and it comes out in your breath and your waste.

I kept sugarfree mints with me and drank a lot of Water, which seemed to help. It did get better. I feel like my biggest source was the drains.

It is also possible that my nose was just more sensitive for a while.

Good to know it gets better!!! Yes, I too am stocking up on the SF mints!!! I had a drain for 2 days and I'm 52 days post, so I know it's not that for me. I guess, time will tell!

I was super stinky post op. It was coming out of my pores EVERYWHERE no matter how many times I showered. I started lathering up with a yummy smelling lotion all over several times a day... It helped, at least I didn't feel like I needed to hurl every time I smelled my arm. It went away after a couple of weeks. Now I'm back to normal. THANK GOD!

It is ketosis, my breath smelled so bad, when ever I burped, it was extra strong and people would start checking my baby to see if the pooped! I would laugh, I could even smell my breath! My dr said smelling is common and will pass as we intake more Protein !

It is ketosis, my breath smelled so bad, when ever I burped, it was extra strong and people would start checking my baby to see if the pooped! I would laugh, I could even smell my breath! My dr said smelling is common and will pass as we intake more Protein !

I laughed so hard about checking the baby!!! People have no idea what we face! They just see our shrinking waist lines and think "lucky you"

My poor husband, I'm always making him wash his face and brush his teeth multiple times a day because any smell just triggers horrible nausea. Living in India at the moment doesn't help either!!!

I think its also ketosis. i had to brush my teeth almost every hour