Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cpap Machine...oh Joy...:(

I had my sleep study a week ago and the doctor called me today to inform me that I do indeed have mild sleep apnea. She wants me on the cpap machine before she'll clear me for surgery. Well, insurance doesn't cover anything on that, so there goes Christmas! I found a great website with a gently used one that will meet my needs for $284, approved by my doctor (tubing and mask included).

I know how you feel! I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea in September and have had to use a CPAP machine since then. $284 is a really great deal! I'm a self-pay patient so I was really worried about extra costs like this. Luckily my insurance company covered the CPAP machine (which is funny because I spend nearly $800 a month on medications they don't cover), so I made sure to go for what the RT called the 'Cadillac' of CPAPs. It cost my insurance company around $3000. I can't wait to not have to use it anymore. Despite the price tag, I really don't think it's any more comfortable than anything cheaper. I've definitely thrown it off in my sleep a few times!

In Aus I paid $2600 for an APAP machine (simr to CPAP but ramps up to pressure when needed rather than constantly). CPAP would have been $2000. This includes the mask, heated tubing and all follow up services (potentially for years, eg extracting reports to give to respiratory physician annually), and is for a top of the range Resmed thing. Only got $500 back on insurance, but can claim the rest towards a tax offset for high health care costs (I always qualify, sigh).

Wouldn't mind so much but Aussies invented the darned thing and the head office is 5 minutes walk from me, but virtually everywhere in the world they are cheaper than here.... lots cheaper.

It can be tough going but stick with it and you will see results.

The most important thing is ensuring your mask fits well and the pressure settings are right - if too low you will end up feeling worse than if you went without, as the mask reduces your air intake in those circumstances.

If your sleep apnoea is only mild, a "splint" might suit you better - it brings your jaw forward, opening your airway that way. .

The biggest issue with CPAP is non compliance - people not using their machine correctly, long enough or every night. And if your sleep apnoea is mild to start with you may get little if any benefit if you then go on to struggle with using your machine. Apparently compliance with the splint is good, it's cheap and it's somewhat more dignified to wear. Ask your dr about it.

I have had my Cpap for a couple of weeks now. I'm getting used to it, but I am not sure how much it helps.

Sounds like you got a good deal, mine was close to $700 out of pocket, with insurance!

There is no way I would be able to get that machine if I had to pay over $300 for it. My current finances will not allow it. When I first started searching online for one, I'm not gonna lie, I lost it! The prices were crazy! Then I found this site secondwindcpap.com. In the about us section you could tell that they genuinely cared. I called and I was still in tears. The woman was so nice and patient. I told her the type of machine I needed and she hooked me up.

I got the call stating I have severe sleep apnea. I'm going in to get fitted the 6th. I'm thankful my insurance covers the cost but leery of wearing it, as I felt claustrophobic a couple of times during my sleep study and tore it off my face.

I pull mine off in my sleep sometimes. I even have the adjustable one where the pressure goes down when you exhale, but it still feels difficult to me to exhale. I'm hoping I just get used to it but if not I have a follow up with the sleep doctor mid December

I don't know about y'all but I feel worst when I sleep with it even though they say your suppose to feel better don't know how been on it since May.

I don't know about y'all but I feel worst when I sleep with it even though they say your suppose to feel better don't know how been on it since May.

Check your mask is fitting ok - you might need some help with that. The mask blocks other air getting to you, so if its not feeding air to you correctly, you feel trashed. It's really important to get that sorted out - its a big health risk.

The first night I accidentally slept with my mask on too tight. The next day me nose hurt so bad like it was broken or something! Loosening the mask helped some but it still isn't as good as I hoped. I may try a different style of mask if the doctor thinks it is too leaky after I loosened it. We shall see when he does the first download of data....