Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumb Question But, How Can You Tell If Your Full?

Im sure it's probably different for everyone but are there specific clues to watch out for?

Good question. Being pre-surgery I'd like to know this too.

I feel full...if I ignore that I get a runny nose....annoying but true.

When I first had surgery, I burped a lot and knew I was full also I got a feeling in my chest like food was stuck, so that made me stop. Now at the 2 1/2 month mark I just feel stuffed like I did before surgery....but now only consuming a few ounces. I eat slow also, that helps to trigger me being full instead of overeating and getting sick, I've done that too!

Strange though I'm never hungry....I have to make myself a schedule and eat!

I feel full...if I ignore that I get a runny nose....annoying but true.

My daughter is the same way. I've never heard of anyone else being "allergic" to being full!

I feel full also and just know that there is no way I can take another bite -- no matter how good something tastes. When I was first starting to eat solid foods, I was horrible about measuring how much I could/couldn't eat and it got easier when I bought some tasting plates (small squared ones about 2 inches by 2 inches I think). If the food fit in the bottom of that plate and didn't rise too high, I could eat it without getting too full and feeling bloated/yucky because I overate.

I know I'm close to full when I start feeling pressure in my stomach and I feel the gas bubbles manouvering their way arond the food in my stomach - trying to get out. When I get overly full I feel a poking sensation at the bottom of my throat - have that sensation a few times and you'll quickly teach yourself how much you can eat before you're full! :-P

I get like a little hiccup feeling. it took about a week to tune into it. if i eat too much i get the 'food in the throat' feeling.

Im sure it's probably different for everyone but are there specific clues to watch out for?

Its a very good question. I just feel full very suddenly in spite of my slow speed. As long as you are ok to consume fluids after half an hour to an hour initially, there is nothing to worry about.

For me it depends entirely on what I am eating. With dense Protein my signal is usually a gurgling noise or I just get the overwhelming feeling that if I take one more bite I will hurl (never have thrown up though). Anything other than dense protein, I generally don't feel any fullness at all. So I time my meals for 20 minutes and no more, and measure out everything so I know I'm not eating too much.

That's exactly how I feel. Burping and feeling like food is stuck. I HATE IT.

When I first had surgery, I burped a lot and knew I was full also I got a feeling in my chest like food was stuck, so that made me stop. Now at the 2 1/2 month mark I just feel stuffed like I did before surgery....but now only consuming a few ounces. I eat slow also, that helps to trigger me being full instead of overeating and getting sick, I've done that too!

Strange though I'm never hungry....I have to make myself a schedule and eat!

how long after surgery does the sensation of being full take for you to actually notice? im 3 weeks out (yesterday) and i cant always tell if im full or not. If i drink something real fast i get the caught in the throat feeling but i havent really been able to tell yet with food .sometimes i stil feel like maybe i could eat another bite but i stop after the 30 mins no matter what

I feel full just like I used to before surgery. I feel like I ate a huge meal with just a few bites. If I take a few more I start to hiccup. Then I know it's time to stop.

I'm almost at the one month mark and get that same stuck in throat feeling, especially at dinnertime. I usually feel like I didn't even eat very much to get full so fast. (Not that I'm still hungry, but worried I am not getting all the calories in). The past few nights I've been trying salad with shredded cheese and deli ham, and a small bowl filled me up almost immediately. Getting all the Protein down seems to be hard because it makes me full so quickly, except for yogurt, which is never a problem because it doesn't require chewing :-)

I get a multitude of symptoms. I get the food stuck in the throat, the runny nose and sneezing, and sometimes even the hiccups (though that's more with fluids than food).