Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Man on the brink of surgery

I have lurked around this forum for quite some time, but as I get closer to my meeting with my surgeon, I have finally drummed up enough nerve to ask some questions.

I am sure most people feel a bit hesitant about life after surgery but my biggest concerns stem around being satisfied by what I get to eat. Admitedly, I wouldn't be in need of surgery if I didn't eat anything and everything but there are some foods at this point I think I will have a hard time giving up. They include steak or any summer time grill meat, pizza, and above all beer. I don't drink alot of beer - equivelant to 1 a day. I work in a brewery so part of my job is to drink beer and that I cannot give up. Is this going to be a major problem? Secondly I have read that steak and other red meats cause problems. Am I ever going to get to eat a steak again? Finally is there a problem with eating pizza?

A brief synopsis of me - 32yo, 6'1" 325. Was happiest in life when i weighed between 185 and 200 so that is my ideal goal. I have gone to the seminars my dr requires and am meeting with him at the end of the month. Have already met the requirements for my insurance to approve the surgery so it is just a matter of him submitting the request and getting on the schedule (suposedly)!! Looking at getting banded some time in April or early May. Any advise would be helpful.

Finally is there a picture area on here where people post pictures of their surgeries or before and after shots. it seems to me i stumbled across some pictures at one time or another but have not been able to find them since.

Thanks

Bigsexy

I can't really help with the food questions post-op because I haven't been banded yet. I know the beer may be an issue because you aren't supposed to have carbonation, the theory is that it stretches your pouch. You could stir it until almost all the fizziness is gone.

For the pictures, and for a thread just for men, check out the General Lap-Band Discussion forum.

And good luck!!!!

Steak I can eat, if it's a good quality like a filet. pizza, I can eat a piece if it's thin/crispy crust. Beer is out for me, I tried it once and it made me feel very uncomfortable, bloated and just yucky. Funny thing, after that I found my desire for it was a lot less! I'm not sure what I'd do if I worked in a brewery? Do you do beer tasting - could you sip and spit?

You will have to change what you eat to some extent. I have read posts from people who eat what they want, just smaller quantities, and I'm not one of them. I've had to adjust my idea of what I eat, the trade-off that I can wear smaller clothes, my BP is down, I can climb stairs and breath at the same time(you get the idea).

I will say that my idea of what I eat to be satisified has changed too, which helps a great deal. And I've been working to find substitues for the role food played in my life.

Good luck!

Looks like we have alot in common, I too am a 32yo male who started out at 360 and now weight about 315.

I had the surgery lst month, and so far I can say it is the 3rd best things I have done in my life (sorry wife and son have to be 1&2)

I love red meat and beer too, but these are things that I am prepared to let go of if it means that I am in better health. Really when I compare it to what I will be gaining, it does not seem like that much to give up.

I am planning on reintroducing lean cuts of red meat in time. Now I wont have to feel guilty about eating filet mignon, since I will be full after a couple of bites.

I am not sure what I will do about beer, I love it and crave it now that I am banded. I will have to see how it goes, and maybe I will be able to enjoy the occasional one. I also like red wine, so I guess I will have to become a wine snob it I cant be a beer snob.

Already I have found that I dont want to eat those things that had gotten me to 360lb. Also the nice things about the band is that you dont have to give up most things, you will just choose to eat them in moderation.

Andrew

As others have said it is a good idea to be open to the possibility that your preferences in food will change. I know it is hard to imagine that you will ever lose your taste for beer, steak and pizza, but it could happen, and often does.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that this is a good thing. It means that you do not need to suffer as you struggle to give up the things you really want. Often you just stop wanting them.

pizza is one of those things that may well drop from your list of "must haves." When you really think about it, the quality of the ingredients in most pizza is pretty weak. Since you eat less with the band, you really do start to focus in more on the quality items. After a while it just becomes sort of beneath your standards to eat white flour crust, processed cheese-food, reconstituted quasi sausage, and canned pizza sauce. Yes, some pizza is better than that, mainly in good Italian restaurants. And if it is made from quality ingredients, you may well still be interested in eating it, and still able to eat it.

As for beer, that is a tough one if that is part of your job. You really are supposed to stay away from carbonated items if possible. I think some people find that they can have an occassional soda or beer, but I'm not sure about every day. You might want to ask you doc about that.

Since you eat less with the band, you really do start to focus in more on the quality items. After a while it just becomes sort of beneath your standards to eat white flour crust, processed cheese-food, reconstituted quasi sausage, and canned pizza sauce.

This really hit me as a good way to put it. I have become more of a "food snob", and it's carried over to other areas in my life. I love clothes, and like to buy them, so I've in the past bought lots of cheap stuff. I've noticed lately I'm looking more critically at how something fits, and how it's made, before I'm willing to buy it. I find I'm not watching TV shows that are re-runs, or that aren't entertaining enough, I find I think I'm wasting my time. It's a side-effect I hadn't expected, but am liking.

thanks everyone - i appreciate all your responses. It is tough to realize that these cravings will go away but I have to believe they will subside. The beer issue isn't really a deal breaker for me although because i work in a brewery i am worried about how i will be effected. Tasting at the brewery is something that for the most part i could probably spit out however, I am worried that my taster will be off post surgery and I won't be able to do my job effectivly Also since beer is my livelyhood I obviously drink it so I hope folks don't think i am making excuses. Again - thanks for all your responses and I will keep coming for information.

Thanks

bigsexy

thanks everyone - i appreciate all your responses. It is tough to realize that these cravings will go away but I have to believe they will subside. The beer issue isn't really a deal breaker for me although because i work in a brewery i am worried about how i will be effected. Tasting at the brewery is something that for the most part i could probably spit out however, I am worried that my taster will be off post surgery and I won't be able to do my job effectivly Also since beer is my livelyhood I obviously drink it so I hope folks don't think i am making excuses. Again - thanks for all your responses and I will keep coming for information.

Thanks

bigsexy

You drink beer as part of your job. You are my hero. I have been looking for that job for many years, but so far I have had to pay to drink the beer, not the other way around.

Really though, we all find ways to adapt to situations, and if you have to spit out the beer (blasphemy, I know), or not have any, just tell people if they notice that your Dr. gave you heck and you need to watch your diet. This has already gotten me off the hook so many times and I have been banded less than a month.

Andrew

You drink beer as part of your job. You are my hero. I have been looking for that job for many years, but so far I have had to pay to drink the beer, not the other way around.

Really though, we all find ways to adapt to situations, and if you have to spit out the beer (blasphemy, I know), or not have any, just tell people if they notice that your Dr. gave you heck and you need to watch your diet. This has already gotten me off the hook so many times and I have been banded less than a month.

Andrew

Andrew - i too searched long and hard before i found a job i love. Started as a hobby and then as a volunteer in a local brewery, now i am employeed there. I won't name the place because I am not a majority shareholder but, I will tell you it is a dream come true. there are not many jobs where you can drink on the job!!!!! I should qualify that statement. I actually don't drink all that much. in fact the only time i drink at home is when i am mowing the lawn etc.

Hi from an almost ex-homebrewer. I still brew a batch or two a year for friends. I cut back in '02 for a couple years, then drank a moderate amount until December of last year. No beer since then. I really don't miss it. I imagine some time I'll sip at one, maybe this summer. A nice Czech Pils would do!

You can still taste it before you carbonate it. Granted, it is flat, but you cantaste the malt and hop profile. Oh how I used to love a good hoppy beer!

Take care and good luck!

Bruce (Brews)

I have brewed my own in the past in an effort to get a Hefeweizen. There are only a couple of micro-brews in Canada that make a Heff, which is odd because in the Pacific Northwest where we visit there are at least 4 or 5 that I can remeber being available. You would think in the Canadian prairies where I am from they could make a beer from wheat.

Andrew

Thanks

bigsexy

Hey bigsexy, I'm a 23-year old version of you! 6'2", 324 lbs. (as of January, I am now 299) and I just got banded 8 days ago. I'm a college student so I am good at drinking heavy amounts of beer. I like to brag about my drinking contest wins at the local bar... and everytime the Budweiser rep comes in he says, "ARE YOU READY?!" Haha, but yeah... beer was HARD to give up, but I did it. I even did it with a lot of my friends not knowing I had the surgery. Partying was such a large pasttime of mine.. tues, wed, thurs, fri, and sat had awesome deals on alcohol. I guess it was a slap in the face when my Psychiatrist told me I have all the signs for 'potential' alcoholism, but I wouldn't be now considering my circumstances. But I dropped it a couple weeks before surgery for good and got the band.

I too struggle with the idea of not eating large pizza's, especially after seeing commercials for those new Domino's pizzas. I crave it sooo much. Steak is one of my favorite foods as well!

What I needed to understand before getting this surgery is that 1. I will still be able to eat my [previous] favorite foods if I must, and 2. it will be completely smaller portions. Have you ever gone to a buffet, ate so much, and felt sickly full because you ate too much? Well if you feel like that after a few bites of steak, won't you be satisfied? Will you eat more? Most likely not.

I honestly look forward to eating all my foods again (I'm on the stupid post-op liquid diet), but with smaller portions. But you will go crazy before the band even thinking of this. Just realize you'll be full!

-Jason

*They include steak or any summer time grill meat, pizza, and above all beer.

You should be fine eating steak and grilled meats, just not a lot of them. You will have to cut the pieces into the size of an eraser tip.

*I don't drink alot of beer - equivelant to 1 a day.

I spoke to one doctor that said there was no scientific proof that carbonatioin stretches the pouch. I don't think an occassional beer will hurt, but I'm not your surgeon.

*Secondly I have read that steak and other red meats cause problems. Am I ever going to get to eat a steak again?

I can eat filet mignon and trip tip okay. Again, you just have to cut the meat in really small pieces and take your time.

*Finally is there a problem with eating pizza?

You have to eat pizza really slow because of the crust. I can do pizza, I just can't do much of it. You have to try it to see if it make you PB.

*Finally is there a picture area on here where people post pictures of their surgeries or before and after shots. it seems to me i stumbled across some pictures at one time or another but have not been able to find them since.

Yes, if you go under general lapband discussion there is a whole page dedicated to that called "before and after". You should find some good motivation there.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hi BigSexy!

I have no problems with pizza or steak - but the carbonation is definitly a problem... that darned pesky gas just does godawful things to you when you get that little hourglass installed...

If you can do like wine-tasters do - and spit the beer out - then it shouldn't affect you too much.

Except for the beer thing - you will be fine.

Good Luck!

I went to my first required lap band class today. I came away sort of down. It is really strange as I was driving there I was totally up for it but after the 1.5 hours I came away wondering if I should go through with the surgery. Funny thing is, I didn't hear anything I haven't read or heard before. I left down because I have the feeling of "why can't i do this on my own?" and "if i am required to walk 1hr a day post op to lose weight, what would be the difference if i were to walk 1 hr a day now" I am also worried about support from my wife, she doesnt understand what it is like to be big, and when i have tried dieting in the past, she continues on doing the things she does and eventually I fall off the wagon and gain back all the weight. Are these feelings normal or am I really not ready.