Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Having A Minor Melt-Down

"I didn't realize all the things I'd have to face when I had surgery. I thought it was just about eating less. You could have told me this until you were blue in the face, and I would not have known that when one addiction/maladaptive behavior stops, you realize how many OTHER maladaptive behaviors you took on, just to keep that one going. Kind of like telling one lie and then the others you tell to hide that lie...That's what this is like. "

Yes, a thousand times yes. I am starting to look around my house and see what I am calling my "f*&k it" piles. Clothes that need to be donated. Paperwork that needs to be filed. I was at an event last night and there were a few glitches (nothing major, no one knew why) that I KNOW have exactly to do with the fact that my desk is a mess. I kind of don't know how I feel about this. I am looking around and there's just so much work I have to do. It's overwhelming.

A lot of us suffer from OCD so a lot of things are connected together...I look at each thing as a struggle to get over or get rid of....I was out the other day and almost lost my slacks at the thrift store...That is when my daughter said that's it..Those pants are going....I wonder if I am finally afraid of being thin and I feel safe in my 18 pants.....

WOW!!! All those clothes. Thank goodness I work at a hospital and all I have to do is choose a smaller scrub size to put on. No business suites for me. I have been worried about replacing my closet with smaller stuff and the costs involved but I can see you guys have ALOT more to replace. GOOD LUCK and enjoy shopping in the "regular stores". :)

WOW!!! All those clothes. Thank goodness I work at a hospital and all I have to do is choose a smaller scrub size to put on. No business suites for me. I have been worried about replacing my closet with smaller stuff and the costs involved but I can see you guys have ALOT more to replace. GOOD LUCK and enjoy shopping in the "regular stores". :)

Oh did you see the post where I said I found another bed-full to give away? Really no one needs that many clothes. I just need to not go overboard next time. I would love to just wear scrubs everyday! You're lucky. :)

I invested ALOT of money into my scrub sets!! That's a lot of money. :) I didn't even buy clothes for 2 years I just bought scrubs. I worked 6 days a week and didn't have time for clothes shopping. Sad part is when I had my son I donated all my sets to the Veterinary Hospital . :( Those lucky dogs

I have not given away any clothes. They're bagged but still sitting in my bedroom. I have an odd attachment to them like I am worried that I will need them again!

I have not given away any clothes. They're bagged but still sitting in my bedroom. I have an odd attachment to them like I am worried that I will need them again!

well, that's been part of my problem too. Didn't give away some of them from 10 years ago. This time, I promised myself it would be different. I would give them away and NOT need them.

I've been reading some of the vets say that it helps them with accountability to have clothes that fit, and that are NOT stretch. that way, as soon as they put on a little weight, they know immediately that they need to fix it. That makes sense to me and I am trying to get to a place mentally where I can do that.

Of course, as I type this I'm wearing size 12 stretch jeans. And the only reason I'm wearing them? is because really I'm a 14 in non-stretch ones but I like lying to myself and thinking I can fit it into a 12 :P

I don't think that's a lie. You wear 14 in reg sizes and 12P in stretch. It'd be a lie if you sewed a size 6 tags in jeans that you know good and well are 12's! I wear curvy/woman/stretch sizes because that's what fits. I have big hips a bit behind and have thick thighs. That's the size and cut, in that brand, that fits. Other cuts and other brands will measure differently. You'll hear a lot of people at goal say 'I can wear anything from an 8 to a 12....' because sizing varies greatly by brand.

If those jeans say 12P stretch, then honey that is what you wear. ;)

I don't think that's a lie. You wear 14 in reg sizes and 12P in stretch. It'd be a lie if you sewed a size 6 tags in jeans that you know good and well are 12's! I wear curvy/woman/stretch sizes because that's what fits. I have big hips a bit behind and have thick thighs. That's the size and cut, in that brand, that fits. Other cuts and other brands will measure differently. You'll hear a lot of people at goal say 'I can wear anything from an 8 to a 12....' because sizing varies greatly by brand.

If those jeans say 12P stretch, then honey that is what you wear. ;)

oh I like you! :) Yeah I have to wear curvy things too. My hips are much bigger than my waist. Thank god.

I lucked out and my daughter drops by my house during her lunch (I'm at work) and if she knows something is way to big she takes it and bags it.

I lucked out and my daughter drops by my house during her lunch (I'm at work) and if she knows something is way to big she takes it and bags it.

Well I will say dressing during the week when I'm not at a client site has gotten much easier. One of the two jeans that fit me, and any one of the colorful t-shirts I have. It's a no-brainer.

Dressing for client sites is a bit fraught with danger because I have no idea what will fit from week to week, so it's no longer just packing for a trip. It's trying on clothes so I know what to pack and that's just a PITA.

I am going to go thru my closet this weekend. (My husband counted 52 t-shirts before we left for surgery - wow, that surprised me.)

I, too, have a weird attachment to my fat clothes. I have clothes from size 10 - 22. The 10's are about 17 years old. (In fairness, two of the items are the outfit I wore when I met my husband - I'm keeping those).

I have a couple of pairs of jeans that still fit, but my tops are getting too big. I talked to my husband about getting just a couple of things, so I don't feel like I'm wearing a sack when we go somewhere...He agree with one caveat...For every article of clothing I bring in, I need to get rid of 2. Heck, if I just get rid of my t-shirts, I'm good getting 26 articles of clothing! Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

I had to give away 17 jackets...all barely worn...I have a thing for jackets...yikes....my daughter just informed me that this new pair of jeans are too big...I love these jeans they have cool zippers on the sides of the pant legs and they look cool...She said they will be gone today and she hopes I enjoy wearing them for the last time....

It is so strange to be in this spot....I am always being told what does not fit me when I feel fine in them....Oh and by the way I gave away 150 Tee shirts before surgery...Most still had the tags on them.....

I can wear my hubby's pants now and they are too big...Have not had that experience since I married him 36 years ago...He said sorry hun but you need smaller pants then mine....ha ha!!!

It is all kinda scary eh!

I had to give away 17 jackets...all barely worn...I have a thing for jackets...yikes....my daughter just informed me that this new pair of jeans are too big...I love these jeans they have cool zippers on the sides of the pant legs and they look cool...She said they will be gone today and she hopes I enjoy wearing them for the last time.... It is so strange to be in this spot....I am always being told what does not fit me when I feel fine in them....Oh and by the way I gave away 150 Tee shirts before surgery...Most still had the tags on them..... I can wear my hubby's pants now and they are too big...Have not had that experience since I married him 36 years ago...He said sorry hun but you need smaller pants then mine....ha ha!!! It is all kinda scary eh!

You and Ms Antiband sound like you both have daughters that take good care of you. I find that's very sweet. I don't have a daughter and although my boys love me, they would have no idea what to do about clothes! Fortunately for me, my husband does ha ha!

I am going to go thru my closet this weekend. (My husband counted 52 t-shirts before we left for surgery - wow, that surprised me.) I, too, have a weird attachment to my fat clothes. I have clothes from size 10 - 22. The 10's are about 17 years old. (In fairness, two of the items are the outfit I wore when I met my husband - I'm keeping those). I have a couple of pairs of jeans that still fit, but my tops are getting too big. I talked to my husband about getting just a couple of things, so I don't feel like I'm wearing a sack when we go somewhere...He agree with one caveat...For every article of clothing I bring in, I need to get rid of 2. Heck, if I just get rid of my t-shirts, I'm good getting 26 articles of clothing! Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

Omg thanks for sharing the 52 tshirts bit. Makes me feel a little less alone with my too-many clothes.

I am in the tech industry and not customer facing. I have always just worn jeans and t-shirts. They fit and I could find them at every size. Well I am a manager now (have been for two years) and still wear jeans and t-shirts. It is acceptable day to day, but as I advance in my career I really need some dressier and more professional things for meetings, travel, etc. I am actually excited by the thought. But I am still losing very fast and dropping at least a size every couple months. So right now I have one pair of jeans (which are too big), one pair of black pants (which are too big), several t-shirts which are too big, and two button-down shirts I can wear camisoles under. Two months ago we went a on a 3-week holiday and I bought like 6 t-shirts and 4 pairs of shorts in size 16. All too big now. I have to hem my jeans because I am 4'11". I have size 14 and 12 in a bag and have not gotten around to hemming them. I'm worried the 14s may be too big. I only paid $8 for them.

So I feel stuck. I need to start getting nicer clothes but I can't yet. Hell I have to get a new swimsuit because my husband's company Christmas party is on a yacht on December 20 and I don't know what size I will be. We are going to a semi formal party for New Years Eve and I won't be able to get a dress until the last minute. But I will be able to wear heels without my feet killing me!

These problems are so weird. I think I am due for a second closet clean-out tomorrow. I keep wondering what my final size will be. I would not be surprised if I could get to a 6 even. It is so wacky.

Oh yeah by the way it is coming to summer here. Southern Hemisphere.